How much should we offer Moses ?

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without a game managing and controlling half I dont know what MORE people expect from Burton. If we dont get a good half back to play alongside Burton it will also hamper his development.

We need to find a good halfback from somewhere and quick or it'll not just continue hurting the team but your prized recruit in Burton.

I never said Moses was our one and only answer, I merely said he was a good option from whats available. Another season or god forbid another two seasons of a 7 like Flanno and all this will have been worth nothing.
This is an important post because it highlights that our ability to keep Burton long term is impacted by what support he can get from his halfback.

This decision therefore affects 2 positions. We have already paid Burton money on "potential". We need to ensure we do what we can to unlock that potential.

Personally, I'd like to see Burton take more responsibility but im willing to see what he can do next year. I certainly don't want both half position hampered by players playing below the minimum expected.

On that note, I'm bloody glad Josh Reynolds is given a train and trial role. Even if he plays 1 or 2 games, I'm hoping he can set the tone of a running game from the halves, because both Burton and Flanagan have been poor

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without a game managing and controlling half I dont know what MORE people expect from Burton. If we dont get a good half back to play alongside Burton it will also hamper his development.

We need to find a good halfback from somewhere and quick or it'll not just continue hurting the team but your prized recruit in Burton.

I never said Moses was our one and only answer, I merely said he was a good option from whats available. Another season or god forbid another two seasons of a 7 like Flanno and all this will have been worth nothing.
I'm all for your last sentence, but NOT Moses. There is my issue. Moses will never win big games, the point to buy a halfback (and pay top dollar) is to WIN big games. I'm all for buying one but they have to be the right type, going after the first one just because isn't smart business.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but the successful teams spend a fair bit of the cap on the spine and then build around that.. take Melbourne for example, top quality at 1,6,7,9 and surrounded by other average players in their positions.. like do you really rate Melbourne’s wingers (Meaney and Coates) or centres (Reimis Smith and Justin Olam) as top 10 in their positions?
Coates yes, rate him massively and he's not on chump change and neither is Olam. Coates played Origin he's easily in the top 10, closer to top 5, Olam would be in the top 10 easily, latter part of the 10 but he's there. I'm all for spending the money on a halfback, not Moses though. Give us another alternative and it doesn't have to be this year next year is fine.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm all for your last sentence, but NOT Moses. There is my issue. Moses will never win big games, the point to buy a halfback (and pay top dollar) is to WIN big games. I'm all for buying one but they have to be the right type, going after the first one just because isn't smart business.
It's all about the short term and long term benefits for the team.

We need Moses in the short term. We will know if we need him in the long term, after the short term.

We won't know shit if we don't act and stick with Flanno.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We havent had a genuine halfback at least since kimmorley and hodginkson, fair crack of the sav we are farkin due need one in 2024 when our premierhip window begins how much more should we wait

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah but the successful teams spend a fair bit of the cap on the spine and then build around that.. take Melbourne for example, top quality at 1,6,7,9 and surrounded by other average players in their positions.. like do you really rate Melbourne’s wingers (Meaney and Coates) or centres (Reimis Smith and Justin Olam) as top 10 in their positions?
Name 10 wingers and centres better than Coates and olam

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Name 10 wingers and centres better than Coates and olam
Ok sorry Mr Pedantic… maybe 10 was an exaggeration but it’s pretty close

Wingers:
Alex Johnston
Josh Addo Carr
Joseph Suaalii
Brian To’o
Taylan May
Ronaldo Mulitalo
Maika Sivo
Daniel Tupou

Centres:
Joseph Manu
Valentine Holmes
Kotoni Staggs
Stephen Crichton
Herbie Farnworth
Zac Lomax
Sifa Talakai

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ok sorry Mr Pedantic… maybe 10 was an exaggeration but it’s pretty close

Wingers:
Alex Johnston
Josh Addo Carr
Joseph Suaalii
Brian To’o
Taylan May
Ronaldo Mulitalo
Maika Sivo
Daniel Tupou

Centres:
Joseph Manu
Valentine Holmes
Kotoni Staggs
Stephen Crichton
Herbie Farnworth
Zac Lomax
Sifa Talakai
I’d argue over taylan muiltalo and sivo.
Lomax talakai far worth and staggs are not better then olam