Opinion How much influence does Gus have on the style of footy we play next year?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Picture this:

You're an underachieving first year coach at an underachieving club and the club has brought in the great Gus Gould (old boy player and club premiership winning coach- unequalled media presence football "expert") as GM Everything Football to get results...in the footy dept you know he hires and fires everyone!

Are you a bloody idiot with a death wish and not listen to everything he says?

Let's hope it's the Bulldogs Dynamic Duo...and mostly on the same page coaching philosophy wise...but probably Gus Gould will be the most influential partner in that twosome in guiding the re-emergence of the CB Bulldogs and whatever it takes to make us successful on and off the field.

He has signed on with that understanding and would not countenance anything less, or else he'll probably walk.

I think the club, and especially Barrett, have that much respect for Gould that they will be happy to work with him under those rules, at least for the next 2 years and then re-assess. If we can't drasticly improve with Gould at the helm then our short term future looks dire.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hopefully not. Gus is washed up and hasn't coached a side in forever for a reason.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He did say that once the off-season come along he was gonna go into close quarters with the football side having a look at how things went something he couldn’t do while we were in qld
I’m sure he will scope it out and have some input into how things are done he was the same at penrith in the earlier days at training all the time. These players won’t step out of line or they will will be shipped off

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan as defensive coach.
Not that much judging by this year

Not much... judging by selections and results this year....even allowing for our poor roster :(

Hoping for much better performance and inspiration from him next season.

No excuses.
I feel like inspiration was something he had going for him this year, if not the only thing haha. The players seem to love him. We had probably the worst Dogs side in history this year and, after so many losses, it would have been easy for them to just give up. Excluding a couple of games, though, we gave it everything, up until the end of season. That sort of relationship with his players should go a long way with some actual talent in the team.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He'd definitely be having conversations about how to best utilise players strengths and cover their weaknesses. I'd say the chopping and changing won't be as frequent from next season. He'll have an influence and be in Baz's ear but it will still be Baz's team.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I feel like inspiration was something he had going for him this year, if not the only thing haha. The players seem to love him. We had probably the worst Dogs side in history this year and, after so many losses, it would have been easy for them to just give up. Excluding a couple of games, though, we gave it everything, up until the end of season. That sort of relationship with his players should go a long way with some actual talent in the team.
Hope so. That's what we all want to see. I guess by inspiration I meant... inspired to win.

I'm sorry to all those you think this team tried their hardest ..I just didn't see that this year. Only my opinion but I thought that, whilst there was no outstanding players, they all could have done better and what we saw certainly wasn't career best form from any of them. Some were atrocious.

I also thought the lack of discipline with silly penalties and lazy 6agains reflected on Barrett's coaching also. The coach must take responsibility for performances and results or else, why have one.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Bazz will be very closely watched. He will have Gus, Hanson and others to mentor him. Bazz is still young enough to improve. But results will dictate whether he'll still have a job in 2023. Gus won't tolerate anything less.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think Bazz will be very closely watched. He will have Gus, Hanson and others to mentor him. Bazz is still young enough to improve. Results will dictate whether he's still got a job in 2023
That's right. The club have put in place so many tools, player improvements, help and excellent personnel to support Barrett and now it is up to him to show the club what he's got.

His staff who many think aren't top of their field were hired by Barrett himself and also the players he hired for this year were his picks as well and majority haven't performed well.

The club have done a great job in putting everything in place for a successful year and now it's up to our coach to bring it home.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whatever Gus did at Penrith is probably what he'll do at the Dogs.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We all know Gus is a great coach, tactician, man manager, etc.
Will Gus have any say in the way we play or is that completely up to Trent Barrett?

Will he be there at training offering his advice to Trent and speaking to the players etc.?
gus will have no impact on the how we play. Im sure if Tbaz asked for advice etc he would be a great sounding board. He also had no imact at the warriors in coaching area.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yep Gus will have an influence on the style of footy we play. It will be something like this:

Lamb with a floater to Farrar, Farrar steps off his right foot and beats Scottie Gale, Farrar gives it to a flying Nissan who draws the Fullback Jack with a pass back on the inside to Hagan who goes over for a spectacular Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs Try. And a 10 year old dogwhisperer starts jumping up and down in the lounge room of his family home in Belmore. I think this is how it will play out.
those players retired long ago mate....

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah not sure on day to day things or game to game things but overall strategy and direction I think he will be involved. Just like I credit him for playing Jack on an edge at the end of the year, that was his influence. I think if things need to be tweaked to get the best out of certain players I think he will be involved but Barret is the coach, Gus will be supporting and providing guidance, the final say will be Barrett but that doesn't mean that Barrett and Gus won't talk. You can see with people like Steve Hanson that Barrett is not shy for taking advice, I think Gus will have a positive impact on the team this year.
Is Steve Hansen still with us?

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus wants to win and so does Barrett,
Hopefully they will work together to get the job done.