Opinion How much influence does Gus have on the style of footy we play next year?

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We all know Gus is a great coach, tactician, man manager, etc.
Will Gus have any say in the way we play or is that completely up to Trent Barrett?

Will he be there at training offering his advice to Trent and speaking to the players etc.?

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus might hazard an opinion, but, he is a professional and won't make suggestions or interfear with the coaching staff unless asked by them first.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Trial against Penrith a few seasons ago, Griffins last, Gus fronted Griffen after the game about the style they played after we over run them in the second half. They basically closed shop and concentrated on possession and defence. It was the beginning of the end for Griffen as related by him on NRL 360 a few weeks after his sacking.

So the answer is Gus won’t be telling Barret what style to play as he already thinks Barrett coaches the style he wants to see through the whole club right down to juniors.

But if Barrett can’t he’ll find someone who can, and that’ll be someone he knows.

So Bulldogs coach 2023 will be either Barrett or Ciraldo, which one is now up Baz.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gus might hazard an opinion, but, he is a professional and won't make suggestions or interfere with the coaching staff unless asked by them first.
Barrett is the coach. He was hamstrung last season by having an inferior outfit.
Gould will be there if his input is needed. 2022 will be a good season for the Dogs.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would think if Barrett fails early on in the season, Gus would already have Cameron Ciraldo's number set on speed dial ready to go.
Personally I hope Baz does well, in fact I hope he does really well.
Really really really well.
Hek I hope he wins the freaking comp!!!

Last edited:

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett is the coach. He was hamstrung last season by having an inferior outfit.
Gould will be there if his input is needed. 2022 will be a good season for the Dogs.
Yup, 100% with you.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yep Gus will have an influence on the style of footy we play. It will be something like this:

Lamb with a floater to Farrar, Farrar steps off his right foot and beats Scottie Gale, Farrar gives it to a flying Nissan who draws the Fullback Jack with a pass back on the inside to Hagan who goes over for a spectacular Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs Try. And a 10 year old dogwhisperer starts jumping up and down in the lounge room of his family home in Belmore. I think this is how it will play out.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yep Gus will have an influence on the style of footy we play. It will be something like this:

Lamb with a floater to Farrar, Farrar steps off his right foot and beats Scottie Gale, Farrar gives it to a flying Nissan who draws the Fullback Jack with a pass back on the inside to Hagan who goes over for a spectacular Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs Try. And a 10 year old dogwhisperer starts jumping up and down in the lounge room of his family home in Belmore. I think this is how it will play out.
No need to keep living in the past now lol....2022 we finally have HOPE return to da Bulldogs :grinning:

Burton sends floater to Naden who steps Crichton, passes to Wakeham (or Avo), backing up ala Baa, who sends a beautiful spiral pass to Fox who beats the 3 man cover defence to score between the posts. New kicking sensation Burton kicks it high enough and long enough and it's straight between the posts.

Five minutes to go in the 2022 Grand Final and it's CB Bulldogs leading Panthers 50-6.

Last edited:

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah not sure on day to day things or game to game things but overall strategy and direction I think he will be involved. Just like I credit him for playing Jack on an edge at the end of the year, that was his influence. I think if things need to be tweaked to get the best out of certain players I think he will be involved but Barret is the coach, Gus will be supporting and providing guidance, the final say will be Barrett but that doesn't mean that Barrett and Gus won't talk. You can see with people like Steve Hanson that Barrett is not shy for taking advice, I think Gus will have a positive impact on the team this year.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Barrett isn't a senior enough coach and he doesn't have a record that's in his favour right now. Gus will definitely assist Barrett and will want to see the club winning again, the last thing Gus will want to do is be involved in a team that has only a few wins next season,

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Gus will definitely have input, how much?...probably as much as is needed, and right now, we need alot of input from him. He is General Manager of ALL things football

We are coming into the new season with a ridiculous 5 wins from our last 45 games or whatever the pathetic stat is....we need all the help we can get. We have been a dysfunctional club for the last 5 years and were the worst team last year by a mile

Love him or loathe him, Gus is one of the best coaches/footy minds of the modern era, we would be crazy not to tap into that

Hopefully TBaz and Gus can get the right working balance .

I really don't care what they have to do to achieve it, I just want massive improvement across the board from the whole club, players and coaching staff

I don't care if we have a totally new top 30 players and coaching staff in 2 years time. If that's what it takes, Gus will do it

Gus has been brought in to be the circuit breaker, and that has started especially through reshaping our top 30

If he thinks we need a new coach, I'm sure he will address that at the right time

Personally I hope TBaz and Gus can become a power duo and really get our team humming and back amongst the top teams where we belong