1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Opinion How long does Dean Pay have left?

Discussion in 'Bulldogs Discussion' started by DoggyStyla, Mar 21, 2020.

1. DoggyStyla

DoggyStyla Kennel Regular

1990 - Current list

Chris Anderson 1990 - 1997 winning percentage 61% Quit to coach Storm

Steve Folks 1998 - 2008 winning percentage 56.1% Sacked or contract not renewed.

Kevin Moore 2009 - 2011 winning Percentage 53% Sacked

Moore was sacked midway through the 2011 season after the club underachieved in the ensuing two years, failing to make the finals in either 2010 or 2011.

Jim Dymock 2011 winning Percentage 62.5%

Never given a real shot.

Des Hasler 2012 - 2017 winning percentage 56.8% Sacked

We all know why he was sacked

Dean Pay 2018 - current winning percentage 36.7%

Every coach appointed by the club since 1978 (Ted Glossop, Warren Ryan, Phil Gould, Chris Anderson and Folkes) has won a premiership.

Besides Haslers success, although at the expense of our salary cap we’ve done very little since Folkes. It’s time to find a new coach and bring back a winning culture.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Spoonman84

Spoonman84 Super Moderator Staff Member

I’m no fan of Pay but stacking him up against former premiership winning coaches is ridiculous considering the circumstances he has had. You just can’t click your fingers and get a winning culture.

The rest of this season will tell us a lot about Pay and under no circumstances should he be re-signed until the end of the year then reassess everything.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Bluewhiteangel

Bluewhiteangel Kennel Enthusiast

Pay should have been turfed out last year.
    It doesnt really matter how much he has left , this season is written off in my opinion.
    Of course the excuses will come thick and fast...... that he hasn’t got a decent roster etc etc blah blah .
    How about all the coaches around the world in numerous codes who take not so flash rosters yet you see improvements in some players .
    No player has improved under Pay in the time he has coached us, in fact players have regressed under him.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. bradyk

bradyk Kennel Enthusiast

Until the end of 2021 unless he takes us into the finals (in 2021, he just needs to avoid the wooden spoon for 2020). If a top coach became available we should be ruthless and go for him (regardless if it's for next year or the year after). I'd take Flanagan for 2022.

5. Merimbula Man

Merimbula Man Kennel Regular

I wouldn’t sack him, at least not whilst he has the support of the players, as it creates drama/instability which we don’t need, and there’s a lack of suitable replacements. However I’d tap him on the shoulder mid season and tell him he won’t be required for 2021 and it’s up to him if stays on or walks.
    He’s clearly passionate about the club, he’s working hard and from all reports is an honorable man. However, the team hasn’t improved at all, and I doubt he has the tactical nouse to take us forward. Listening to him in press conferences and interviews doesn’t instill any confidence in me, and perhaps that’s also the case with the players.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Scoooby

Scoooby Kennel Immortal Gilded Premium Member

Not long lol .!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. DinkumDog

DinkumDog Kennel Enthusiast Gilded x2 Gilded

That's exactly what happen to Kevin Moore in 2011 - tap on the shoulder and he elected to walk immediately - hence Dymock for the balance of the season and to put some context into Dymock's 62.5% win rate - it was 8 games (5-3).

8. AlzzBulldog

AlzzBulldog Kennel Enthusiast

Should’ve gone last season

9. The_Chimpster

The_Chimpster Kennel Addict

It was only a matter of time before this thread popped back up

Surprised it's taken this long :tonguewink::tearsofjoy:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  10. DoggyStyla

He has to be “stacked” against other coaches as it’s the way of determining where he stands a successful NRL coach. Can’t keep blaming the salary cap or the roster. We all can see a poor game plan, roster management and playing players out of position for three seasons now.
    Our successful coaches have all had success in lower grades not only at the elite level. It’s time to #sackpay

11. Dannyboi88

Dannyboi88 Kennel Regular

Pay needs to go regardless we get pay was the last boards appointment but was reassigned by current board ..just say we had it wrong get the right person in there and get this team back to where it belongs
    Someone who won’t be scared to tap 15 of them on the shoulder and say perform or fuck off

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. DoggyStyla

I agree %

13. DoggyStyla

I see his JOB is not so different to my JOB. We both have targets to reach. Difference is, if I under performed for two years, I would have lost my business by now, and maybe killed people ( being an electrician).

• Like Like x 1
  14. DoggyStyla

True regarding Dymock, as it was in the timeline I left it in. If you recall in 2011, we had fair D but no attack, Dymock took over and we started scoring tries.

Pay has been shooting his mouth of from day 1, Dogs if war, the entertainers, bring back the bulldog DNA. All these teams mentioned had great coaches. You never saw Anderson play Jarred McCrackin at 5/8 or half back. Or Folks play Elmasri at center! Come on all let’s be real, Pay has to go immediately, offer Dymock the remainder of the year, then go after Gould to work with him for next year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Spoonman84

Spoonman84 Super Moderator Staff Member

No he needs to judged on his merits. What’s the point in comparing him to Ted Glossop some 40 years ago? Judge him on what’s on the field. He needs a good season to stay at the club in my opinion. The most disappointing aspect of his coaching is there has been no major improvement in the players they don’t get better with more NRL games. This year is a write off and there’s no coach out there that is going to drastically improve the team and sacking Pay now just complicates a lot of things. If nothing improves then we don’t re-sign him.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. AlzzBulldog

AlzzBulldog Kennel Enthusiast

This season didn’t have to be a write off though, if the club got rid of him last season, we are just wasting so much valuable time for no reason

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Interestingg

Interestingg Kennel Addict

18. DoggyStyla

Mate being an NRL coach means your performances as a coach is judge against other past and present coaches across the board.

19. DinkumDog

DinkumDog Kennel Enthusiast Gilded x2 Gilded

I’m not defending Pay or think he’s a great coach but I haven’t heard him ‘shooting his mouth off’ about anything.

Before the 2018 season he allegedly said something about ‘bringing back the madness’ and playing ‘eyes up footy’ though I’ve never actually seen those quotes attributed to him.

Why do many think Dymock is a solution? We overlooked him twice and then the Sharks did too - he simply can’t offer that much.

Gould has said publicly and more than once he has no interest in any coaching role (even oversight).

So it comes back to the question asked many times. If Pay has to go, he has to be replaced by someone who’s clearly a step up. And who is that person?

Hint: it’s not Shane Flanagan and it’s not Geoff Toovey.

• Like Like x 1
  20. UndeadShadowMan

UndeadShadowMan Kennel Enthusiast

Fuck him off asap that's 3 in a row terrible starts to the season

• Like Like x 1