Opinion How long does Dean Pay have in 2020?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hindsight is a beautiful thing isn’t it.

How popular would’ve a lot of his successful changes have been if they’d been floated on here prior to last season? Eg. JMK at hooker, Meaney on the wing. Not very. JMK was written off completely in any capacity by the resident experts on here. Apparently Nu Brown was a far superior option..

Pay was bagged mercilessly for persisting with Meaney on the wing but it turned out to be a successful experiment and he got better and better.

DWZ was a great acquisition who made a difference but obviously wasn’t at our disposal for the first half of the year when we were struggling a bit.

To’omaga was another who added some punch in the back half but again was unavailable from Round 1 due to injury, and was rightly made to prove his form and fitness via Canterbury Cup.
Always a worry when rfm and Chn should have always traded positions though and meaney should have been blooded on the wing in ccup before NRL. Also Jacko should have never played those first few rounds due to the recovery of that shoulder surgery.

Only excuse is rookie coach but he ain't no rookie anymore so he can't stuff up in 2020.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Always a worry when rfm and Chn should have always traded positions though and meaney should have been blooded on the wing in ccup before NRL. Also Jacko should have never played those first few rounds due to the recovery of that shoulder surgery.

Only excuse is rookie coach but he ain't no rookie anymore so he can't stuff up in 2020.
RFM was the Kiwi test #12 until injury struck the season prior so i had no issue with him playing there at club level on the back of the form he showed there in 2018.

Meaney is always gonna be at fullback if he’s in reserve grade. Not sure how you consider him not being picked on the wing in reserve grade as a mark against Pays coaching?

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
RFM was the Kiwi test #12 until injury struck the season prior so i had no issue with him playing there at club level on the back of the form he showed there in 2018.

Meaney is always gonna be at fullback if he’s in reserve grade. Not sure how you consider him not being picked on the wing in reserve grade as a mark against Pays coaching?
He has many marks Horse.
Not just his selections / positions, but the style of play he tried to incorporate before he gave up and let the players just play, leading to more wins later on in the season.

And before you say he doesn’t have players, that’s not the point. I’ve seen many teams before with a bad roster but they adapt to what they have and play smart footy. We did not. For a couple years now. And attitude also. The list goes on.

Like I’ve said many times before, he will have this year to show his coaching prowess and the club will have a couple years to show the recruitment / business strategy.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Those decisions cost us dearly during the season and could have easily been avoided.

Rfm comng off injury at the same time as Foran was always going to be a liability yet pay played them side by side. Regardless what rfm was doing on an edge before international duties he I'm my opinion was always a middle forward.

Jacko unfit killed us.

Meaney not knowing how to wing cost us in a few games. If pay was going to wing him he should have learnt the trade first.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Those decisions cost us dearly during the season and could have easily been avoided.

Rfm comng off injury at the same time as Foran was always going to be a liability yet pay played them side by side. Regardless what rfm was doing on an edge before international duties he I'm my opinion was always a middle forward.

Jacko unfit killed us.

Meaney not knowing how to wing cost us in a few games. If pay was going to wing him he should have learnt the trade first.
Can’t teach a Horse common sense, especially the donkey type

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
He has many marks Horse.
Not just his selections / positions, but the style of play he tried to incorporate before he gave up and let the players just play, leading to more wins later on in the season.

And before you say he doesn’t have players, that’s not the point. I’ve seen many teams before with a bad roster but they adapt to what they have and play smart footy. We did not. For a couple years now. And attitude also. The list goes on.

Like I’ve said many times before, he will have this year to show his coaching prowess and the club will have a couple years to show the recruitment / business strategy.
Love the rainbows I wonder who would give you them?

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He has many marks Horse.

You’re entitled to your opinion but you really do lose credibility when you question their attitude.

Despite being younger and less experienced than every other team - we were very competitive in just about every fixture. We stuck at it season long and showed plenty of grit.

So yeah I’m not sure how you can question their attitude. Can only assume you haven’t had a great deal of experience in competitive environments.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
You’re entitled to your opinion but you really do lose credibility when you question their attitude.

Despite being younger and less experienced than every other team - we were very competitive in just about every fixture. We stuck at it season long and showed plenty of grit.

So yeah I’m not sure how you can question their attitude. Can only assume you haven’t had a great deal of experience in competitive environments.
First half of the season we won 2 -14 how was that competitive?
We got flogged multiple times.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you try for 40 and give up the next 40, that’s not a good attitude to have. In fact, it’s mental weakness. That’s what I am trying to alude to when I say attitude

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
pay has control of his own future, a poor slow start to the season will put a lot of pressure on pay and the team heading into the origin period, with no one from our team likely to be in origin it will be a period we would be expected to win games and consolidate our position on the ladder, so with 2/3 of the seasons completed by the end of origin, we would hope to be well established in the top 6 to 8 on ladder at worst, last year we came good in the last third of the season, it would be expected we will be in a better position this year at that time and be a finals contender, pressure not only on pay, if he fails pressure right on board to find us a coach that can coach for 2021

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Our 2014 finals run was also a miracle tbh
I thought we underachieved in a couple of games tbh. Look back at that team

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I would say our first 8 games or so will be a big deciding factor in his future.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our 2014 finals run was also a miracle tbh
Not really.. Apart from the Melbourne game which was a another great moment in history the rest we were too classy in the end.

98 we were there to make the numbers and shocked even the faithful.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not really.. Apart from the Melbourne game which was a another great moment in history the rest we were too classy in the end.

98 we were there to make the numbers and shocked even the faithful.

and from memory we only had to get through the Panthers to make the GF