Opinion How long does Dean Pay have in 2020?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The problem I see with pay is he is often 3 steps behind instead of 1 or 2 steps a head Like better coaches

I’m also worried that the last two years where we have Strung some wins together & won games at the back end of the season after we are well out of finals contention he and the players have said The play book has gone out the window & they have just gone out and had fun and threw the ball about eg Pay has stopped coaching or at the least his input has been greatly reduced

I don't believe last year was a case of the playbook being thrown our the window because we didn't exactly improve or change anything in attack... the difference was how they came together in defence, as well as what Dallin provided at the back... attack was always going to struggle with so many inexperienced guys in the spine at once... think that'll change this year

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He will be here all year,but if we get hammered in our first 10 rounds the pressure will build quickly.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
They won't axe him, that's for sure. It's simple... if we make the 8 they'll extend him... HOWEVER... they will also look to see how he goes in the area of recruitment. That will be his big test. If the same team we had last years plays the way they did in the final 8 rounds we'll do well.

If not they'll look at other options.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who do you suggest will be available after round 15? McGregor perhaps, but I think he’s safe till Flanagan is allowed to head coach. And who in their right mind would want him anyway. Is Bellamy going to chuck it in half way through the season? And then immediately come to us, somehow I don’t think so. He’d have enough offers to keep him busy reading contracts for the rest of the season and then some. Maybe Holbrook won’t like the Gold Coast after a few months and decide Belmore is better. Robinson leave the Chooks, hardly likely. Who then?

Swapping coaches mid season doesn't work, unless there is someone demonstrably better lined up and quite frankly I just don't see anyone remotely likely that's even close to meeting that criteria.

Go Dogs
This was my first thought reading this thread, who will be available to sign? I agree Pay will see out this year regardless of results, but then your club is somewhat unique in that many want Bulldogs DNA in whoever is signed as coach. I think that was one of the reasons Pay was signed in the first place even though he'd never coached in the top grade, it was his history at your club as a player that was appealing?

So do you sign from within and guarantee the "Bulldog" DNA is prevalent or do you sign from without and take a risk that coach does not have it or worse tries to change the culture of your club?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
This was my first thought reading this thread, who will be available to sign? I agree Pay will see out this year regardless of results, but then your club is somewhat unique in that many want Bulldogs DNA in whoever is signed as coach. I think that was one of the reasons Pay was signed in the first place even though he'd never coached in the top grade, it was his history at your club as a player that was appealing?

So do you sign from within and guarantee the "Bulldog" DNA is prevalent or do you sign from without and take a risk that coach does not have it or worse tries to change the culture of your club?
If for whatever reason Dean ultimately gets replaced we’d have to be a bit more opened minded than just the DNA stuff. That’s a bonus if it’s the right coach but it can’t be the primary concern. As long as it’s not bloody Manly DNA again and topping up the super fund of your mates that will be a step in the right direction.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Replacing the coach is fraught with danger. He needed time to build the team he wanted. Difficult because of the financial constraints.
He has developed the team nicely, all things being considered. People should look at any prospective replacement.
Look at Barrett, McGregor, Cleary, Green, Siebold, Morris, Stuart, Hasler, etc. I wouldnt consider them.
Stick with Dean Pay.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Replacing the coach is fraught with danger. He needed time to build the team he wanted. Difficult because of the financial constraints.
He has developed the team nicely, all things being considered. People should look at any prospective replacement.
Look at Barrett, McGregor, Cleary, Green, Siebold, Morris, Stuart, Hasler, etc. I wouldnt consider them.
Stick with Dean Pay.
Agree. No rush and I’d put a line through all those names anyway.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’d like to see him be given a chance to build a team when we are on par with other clubs salary caps, well the clubs that actually have one.
We must’ve been in bad shape if Madge took one look and said thanks but no thanks and went to the tigers instead!!

My opinion is that he’ll last the year regardless but he’ll need decent results to be extended

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stick with Dean Pay.
Most of those you listed are established coaches, would you take a punt on a lesser known coach, a Jason Demetriou or a Ben Hornby? And how long do you give them to get results?

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really hope that Dean has a successful year with this team and builds structures which will take us down a long road.
No matter what he will see out this year at least.
In saying that I am sure management will have him under the microscope and things might not be so pleasant behind the scenes if things turn out disastrous.
We can’t get complacent or be under any illusion,this is a result driven industry these days
Let’s hope for the best moving forward as a club.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Most of those you listed are established coaches, would you take a punt on a lesser known coach, a Jason Demetriou or a Ben Hornby? And how long do you give them to get results?
We’d be back to square one. Many were frothing at Holbrook despite never having heard of him or seen his teams play prior. If the Titans finish above us I’ll stand corrected. Bellamy is the only coach I’d want to be honest

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We’d be back to square one. Many were frothing at Holbrook despite never having heard of him or seen his teams play prior. If the Titans finish above us I’ll stand corrected. Bellamy is the only coach I’d want to be honest
Agree. England is a different market. Holbrook did pretty well there but the NRL is a different level. Same thing happened to Nathan Brown - did well in England but never set the world on fire in the NRL.
I'm interested in seeing how Adam O'Brien goes at Newcastle.
I can't see Bellyache moving to Sydney and taking another deal. He said himself last year that he's 60 now, has 2 years to go on his Storm deal and that will likely see him out.
Famous last words perhaps but I'm sure he's made plenty of money and who needs the grief - god knows why Uncle Wayne is still coaching at 70 - I guess some can just never let go until they are forced to.

Last edited:

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that there a lot of variables in a football season so placing everything on the coach is a bit unfair even though most rests on his shoulders.
A few points that I’m thinking.
We have a very young & inexperienced squad but expect Dean to have them the fittest in the NRL
How many injuries or not to key players during the season
If these identified rookies & recruitment players step up
The draw is very favourable this year
My biggest concern is that the competition in general was a bit weak last year with about 5 clubs not really playing to their expectations
Could end up being a tough road in 2020

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Simple. I like the guy. If he doesn't make the 8, then bye bye.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
We should know midseason'ish if we intend on moving forward with Deano or not in 2021.

Last edited:

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's VERY simple, if we consistently play well he stays, if we consistently play crap he goes.
No rocket science needed.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
you cannot begrudge someone new for making mistakes. but if those same mistakes continue to happen, then no mercy should be shown.

The team has shown enough potential to indicate that with the rite guidance, they can be a good competitive team that will trouble most other teams.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under pressure by R10 if losses > wins, Dire straights in R20 if trend continues...but that literally applies to most coaches beyond Belamy & Bennett

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good point, Gould, Anderson Moore, Folkes & Pay.

I think its time for the best coach.

But Pay has the chance prove prove me wrong and win the premiership, who knows that the beauty of footy.

Even though I'm harsh on Dogs players coach and Board, as per my first post I praise them for being talented, tough and determined to win.

I want nothing more than seeing the Dogs lift the trophy regardless of who's playing, coaching and running the Club.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just having a look at the first 10 rounds of the comp this year, we play the following teams.
Eels away
Cowboys home
Tigers away
Sharks home
Rabbits away
Eels home
Cowboys away
Raiders home
Warriors away
Manly home

We should be competitive in the majority of these games, but I think we could still be sitting 3 and 7 by the end of round 10, same as last year.
If we start the season poorly like 2019, how long does Dean Pay get before getting the tap on the shoulder?
I don’t fear any of these sides.i think ur forgetting we beat these teams last year.this gave the young guys in our team heaps of confidence.i would expect us after these games to be sitting on 12 points