How is Gerrard Sutton the best referee the NRL has to offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Is it just me that see’s it or does everyone else agree Sutton is the most pathetic excuse for a referee? Watching the Storm play Leeds in the WCC tonight, Brodie Croft on the 5th and last puts up a bomb with Slater chasing it down when a Leeds player Dwyer runs a blocker play to protect his fullback from Slater so he can catch the ball uninterupted. It was a very soft blocker run yet Sutton blows a penalty to the Storm instantly. Now, rewind back to State of Origin last year when Queensland blatantly used not only one, but two blockers several times in tryscoring situations for NSW yet Sutton did not raise his whistle on any occasion! I distinctly remember not only myself but my mates, and commentators alike saying if the blockers had not deviated their lines it would 100% been a try on the both occasions. Is this bloke fair dinkum and is the NRL taking the piss or what? Not only is he inept as a ref but very confusing and downright frustrating for the players he officiates games for, not to mention us loyal fans watching him rip off our teams and hand crucial decision to his favorites. I’m pretty sure I don’t need to remind anyone here how many games he has cost the Bulldogs with his bias rullings. Plenty of players have come under the microscope for match fixing, perhaps it’s time Sutton got a bit of investigating and judgement his way! Totally bemused by this donkey.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is it just me that see’s it or does everyone else agree Sutton is the most pathetic excuse for a referee? Watching the Storm play Leeds in the WCC tonight, Brodie Croft on the 5th and last puts up a bomb with Slater chasing it down when a Leeds player Dwyer runs a blocker play to protect his fullback from Slater so he can catch the ball uninterupted. It was a very soft blocker run yet Sutton blows a penalty to the Storm instantly. Now, rewind back to State of Origin last year when Queensland blatantly used not only one, but two blockers several times in tryscoring situations for NSW yet Sutton did not raise his whistle on any occasion! I distinctly remember not only myself but my mates, and commentators alike saying if the blockers had not deviated their lines it would 100% been a try on the both occasions. Is this bloke fair dinkum and is the NRL taking the piss or what? Not only is he inept as a ref but very confusing and downright frustrating for the players he officiates games for, not to mention us loyal fans watching him rip off our teams and hand crucial decision to his favorites. I’m pretty sure I don’t need to remind anyone here how many games he has cost the Bulldogs with his bias rullings. Plenty of players have come under the microscope for match fixing, perhaps it’s time Sutton got a bit of investigating and judgement his way! Totally bemused by this donkey.
I've been saying for a few years that the refs are corrupt. Going back a few years to the time that Ryan Tandy was wiped out of the game for supposedly match fixing. He along with quite a few others were investigated for placing money on a goal being first points in that game. A mate of mine had seen a pattern which he used to win a significant amount of money. At the time the NRL's gambling partners were offering first pointscorer margins rather than first tryscorer. As a rule they were giving really poor returns for the goal kicker. My friend was taking money away from a lot of games just by betting that a goal would open the scoring. Yet almost every match the refs would blow a penalty right in front of the sticks and invite them to open the scoring with a goal thus wiping out peoples bets on any potential tryscorer. Obviously other people had caught on to it too because when Tandy got thrown to wolves they altered what they were doing.

I can't find the article anymore, but the NRL's sponsorship deal includes a clause allowing them to take 7% of the gambling agencies profit, so the NRL will never crack down on it. You can see that it doesn't matter what the refs do, they never get dropped. Certain refs seem to get rewarded for blatantly fucking up and even with the extra angles that the bunker offers they still can't get a decision right.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He’s below scum
He’s lower than a maggot
If he was on fire I wouldnt piss on him

Last edited:

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
I've been saying for a few years that the refs are corrupt. Going back a few years to the time that Ryan Tandy was wiped out of the game for supposedly match fixing. He along with quite a few others were investigated for placing money on a goal being first points in that game. A mate of mine had seen a pattern which he used to win a significant amount of money. At the time the NRL's gambling partners were offering first pointscorer margins rather than first tryscorer. As a rule they were giving really poor returns for the goal kicker. My friend was taking money away from a lot of games just by betting that a goal would open the scoring. Yet almost every match the refs would blow a penalty right in front of the sticks and invite them to open the scoring with a goal thus wiping out peoples bets on any potential tryscorer. Obviously other people had caught on to it too because when Tandy got thrown to wolves they altered what they were doing.

I can't find the article anymore, but the NRL's sponsorship deal includes a clause allowing them to take 7% of the gambling agencies profit, so the NRL will never crack down on it. You can see that it doesn't matter what the refs do, they never get dropped. Certain refs seem to get rewarded for blatantly fucking up and even with the extra angles that the bunker offers they still can't get a decision right.
I met a referee a few months back (a distant uncle of a mate) that was a senior referee from the bush, been around for yonks.
He's been invloved with alot of the current refs, his words to me were there is that much money gettin thrown around its not funny and that Gerard sutton n his brother are the worst he's ever come across.
These days he reckons its that bad that everyone's in on it sadly and can barely watch a game coz of the blatant corruption.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's so so easy to see their favorites both teams and players within teams; other teams/players penalized for actions when favorites get off without a second glance. It's oh so obvious! And clearly the Bulldogs are not in the fave category.

~c.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with everything you have said. I was so happy to watch some rugby league again, until I saw some blatant calls Melbourne’s way. I thought fuck why is this clown still here. Then I thought another year of bad calls coming. Cmon nrl let’s not have another year of blatant fuck ups.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the penalty where Parcell got smith under his ribs and drove him back into the ground. Was barely above the horizontal. But because smith doesn’t like it and starts elbowing parcells head, Smith gets a penalty for a “dangerous tackle”. Only one game and already you can tell storm will be the referees darlings.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone who has ever read a post of mine over time knows full well what i think of refs but i can say i am friends (school parent friends) with a recently retired (due to injury in 2015) NRL ref/linesman.
He tells me flatout that the Sutton brothers are ‘really nice guys’ but they were being closer monitored a few times due to ‘irregular’ decisions with particular teams, that was back in 2013/14, Gerard looks like a complete tool to me and i believe strongly that he cheats and favours some over others.

I cant stand anything to do with NRL officials, imo they are all incompetent useless fools who couldn’t play themselves so decided to become refs to hang out with the cool kids and spoil their fun.
NRL refs are maggots!!

If the NRL continues down the path of having such bad officials the game will continue to decline in viewer numbers.
Apart from ticket prices and food costs at games it has been the biggest issue for people not going to games anymore

Last edited:

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The refs have turned a lot of people off this great game, if it wasn’t for the doggies I wouldn’t even bother watching the bloody thing! The game we lost to the saints when we were blatantly robbed due to the milkman, was the straw that broke the camels back for me unfortunately! I was so angry, that night made me realize a persons health is more important than a corrupted sport! Don’t let these idiots get to you, remember your health comes first!

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Sutton Bros. have turned refereeing into a comedy.

They have been jokes for yrs.

Archer on the other hand has been greatly appreciative of their performances.

Wokball

Waterboy
Reaction score
I'm positive Gerard Sutton is on the Russell Crowe payroll......lol

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I refereed junior rugby league from aged 16 in 1970 to aged 37 in 1991 and 4 years of that refereed sg ball and jersey flegg. Harold Matthews didnt exist in those days. As DT will tell you we crossed paths at indoor cricket
Banks town not long after that. DT is a straight shooter. I have been advocating for some time that Gerard Sutton has agendas against-the bulldogs. The Bulldogs are currently in a run of losses of about 14 in a row where we have not won a game refereed by him since round 1 2016 against Manly. That should indicate something. The ANZ game against the Roosters last year when with the game on the line in the last 5 minutes he changes a six again call in our favor on the advice of a touch judge and rules changeover. That just cannot happen, and then when challenged he just shrugs it off with an apology. I think Sutton has issues with James Graham and Josh Reynolds so it will be interesting to see how he reacts to them with their new clubs and how he handles bulldogs games with them no longer here. When he put Reynolds on report at Belmore against the Sharks he was smiling. I always thought that with a win record of just over 30 percent with Harrigan that he was our worst possible option. Sutton is far worse. I think winning a game refereed by him is by far our biggest challenge. If I was Dean Pay I would be inviting him to training to get a better understanding of what our problems with him are really like. Last year we couldn't even beat the Tigers with him having the whistle. By the way my doubts about Sutton surfaced long before Good Friday 2015 and that day That day was just the icing on the cake. At the moment if you re in. Tipping comp if sutton is the ref back whoever the Bulldogs are playing.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
What about the penalty where Parcell got smith under his ribs and drove him back into the ground. Was barely above the horizontal. But because smith doesn’t like it and starts elbowing parcells head, Smith gets a penalty for a “dangerous tackle”. Only one game and already you can tell storm will be the referees darlings.
Hang on a minute - "barely above horizontal"? I didn't watch the game but if he got him above horizontal then it's game over - penalty awarded. Why is it a problem if the ref is making the right decision? You don't have to like the rule but that's not the refs problem - that's your problem.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hang on a minute - "barely above horizontal"? I didn't watch the game but if he got him above horizontal then it's game over - penalty awarded. Why is it a problem if the ref is making the right decision? You don't have to like the rule but that's not the refs problem - that's your problem.
Did you see the tackle OD?

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Did you see the tackle OD?
No mate, I was simply commenting on the fact that Cookieman909 said that the tackle was past the horizontal and that somehow it being penalised was inappropriate. The rule is if you take a player past horizontal it is deemed a dangerous tackle and that's that. By all means cane the refs if you want but don't cane them for actually getting a decision right........

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because his dickhead brother is the referees boss now

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No mate, I was simply commenting on the fact that Cookieman909 said that the tackle was past the horizontal and that somehow it being penalised was inappropriate. The rule is if you take a player past horizontal it is deemed a dangerous tackle and that's that. By all means cane the refs if you want but don't cane them for actually getting a decision right........
100% agree with you regarding the past the horizontal tackle rule, and if you didn’t see it you can only make judgment of what Cookieman909 has posted! But you need to see the tackle, when I saw it, the first thing that came to mind was “we should start playing touch footy”, it was a shocking call!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's so so easy to see their favorites both teams and players within teams; other teams/players penalized for actions when favorites get off without a second glance. It's oh so obvious! And clearly the Bulldogs are not in the fave category.

~c.
I hear you. It has been obvious for years now, that certain, shall we say, "High profile, immortal bound players" are constantly getting the benefit of the doubt from the whistle blowers from anything to dodgy passes, offside plays and dirty tackle tactics. That is obviously not going to change judging by the officiating last night. I guess when you reward mediocrity and biased decisions with continued selection as the on field whistle blower what do you expect? Oh and certain coaches and their " border line" tactics seem to get a pass mark from all and sundry whilst some are consistently judged and punished for doing something that others get away with.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don't forget that one special man at the back who can still lead with his feet in the air to' protect' himself and gets no criticism from the governing body.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Henry Perenara would be the best ref in the comp if they would only let him ref..

Status
Not open for further replies.