News How I’ll whip NRL into shape: Peter Beattie

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Get rid of the Tigers and Parra.. it's pretty logical.. we are the dominant team in the south west and Penrith cover the greater west while Souths' reach extends to the inner west
Parra would be hard to eliminate because they have a pretty big following here in Sydney, they don’t sell as many memberships because how bad they’ve been the past 6 years but when they go good they get high numbers at stadiums. Tigers and Manly are by far the least supported from what I’ve seen and instead of wasting money on building a new Manly stadium just scrap them.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Perth and Adelaide experiments failed, why should Wests and Manly fans be worried?
The Rabbits showed what happens when you try and delete old Sydney clubs from NRL.
The competition was rationalized so why then is expansion on the agenda?
Why do we need 25 rounds to find the top eight?
It has become a comp of dead rubber.
Make it cheaper for battlers to get in the gate, you are better off with a full stadium of cheap tickets instead of half a stadium of forty dollar seats and the rest of the footy community watching Fox at home.
The teams in Perth and Adelaide need to be given time to get on there feet, short term loss for long term gain, There is twice as much interest in league there now then there was in Melbourne before the storm.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Does this fool report to the Commission? Can anyone tell me one good initiative introduced by the Commission?

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol this **** is helping Todd greenturd run the game lol the NRL is fucked.
Don’t care if the tigpies go broke as long as they don’t make us take Mbye of Reynlods back lol

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can never remember. Is Beattie 'Beavis' and Greenberg 'Butt-head', or is it the other way round?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The 2 states comment he is making is saying the game can't be landlocked in 2 states (in other words they can't focus the game solely on more NSW/Qld teams regarding expansion).

Suprised it didn't read like this though:

On Expansion:
“It’s easier than I first thought,” Beattie said. “If we split Qld in half and create Sydney as it's own state, the game will have expanded without the intervention of the NRL!"
“I’ve said to the cafes and their managers, if anyone falls over we won’t fund them. We will have to look at where they are."

Player Behaviour
“If you have a rough criteria then no one will be surprised and, more to the point, no one will have excuses. Not even that Khabib bloke! If we can’t have consistency and regulation of these sorts of behaviour, we won’t have a game. Except if it impacts Roosters or Souths.”

Participation Strategy
“One of the keys to this is players. If they can see people play this game and can be trained to be tackle properly and build their physical capacity, people are more likely to say to their kids, ‘you can play rugby union for Tottenham Hotspurs some day’.
“At the end of it all — I’m not trying to be a genius — mums and dads will make the decision. It happened in my family. Expanding the game is not just about expanding it for all the right reasons, it’s about building the game.”

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He has already failed on the consistent part. Now he wants the opportunity to fail on expansion. I do agree that women are largely responsible for letting their children play league. But that is about all I agree on.

How he should have said he'd whip it into shape is by announcing his exit and that he's taking Greenburg with him when he quits.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Until "footy" people are in charge again instead of these "career" people we will decline across all areas. Maybe the sport will die before that happens, we will see.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This guy has no idea he probley didn’t even know what he was on about

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I just say first and foremost that I think Beattie is a fucking clown and I don't know how he is in the job but I found some of his recent comments interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Expansion:
“It’s a lot harder than I first thought,” Beattie said. “It’s one of the reasons why I’m pushing so hard in other areas. We can’t be landlocked in two states."

“I’ve said to the clubs and CEOs, if anyone falls over we won’t fund them. We will have to look at where they are."

So his first point is a fairly popular opinion, the NRL can't just be a 2 state comp (close to a 2 state comp), there needs to be a team in Perth and Adelaide and tbh I'd like them to replace 2 Sydney teams, the NRL has to start being a national sport.

His second point is really interesting, over the past few years the NRL has helped the Titans, Dragons and Newcastle stay afloat but from now on it seems like if a club takes a fall then the NRL will just let them die, it's probably a reason to reduce the amount of Sydney teams, I'd be worried if I was a Tigers or Manly fan, to be honest.

Player Behaviour
“If you have a rough criteria then no one will be surprised and, more to the point, no one will have excuses.

“If we can’t have consistency and regulation of these sorts of behaviour, we won’t have a game.”

At least he is acknowledging that the NRL is inconsistent when it comes down to handing punishments, it was a disgrace when you compare the treatment our club received compared to the treatment the Rabbitohs received.

Participation Strategy
“One of the keys to this is women. If they can see women play this game and can be trained to be tackle properly and build their physical capacity, women are more likely to say to their kids, ‘you can play rugby league’.

“At the end of it all — I’m not trying to be sexist — mums will make the decision. It happened in my family.

“Expanding the women’s game is not just about expanding it for all the right reasons, it’s about building the men’s game.”

This is actually a really good point, I know way too many families in which the mother denies her sons the chance to play footy, and encouraging females to start to learn the game by actually playing it and understanding that these guys are trained and safety is a priority then maybe we will see fewer mums restrict their sons and we'll see higher participation numbers.
You had me at “Beattie is a fucking clown”.
Love it.

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's an absolute disgrace these 'CEOs' and i use the term loosely, continue to get jobs.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Perth and Adelaide experiments failed, why should Wests and Manly fans be worried?
The Rabbits showed what happens when you try and delete old Sydney clubs from NRL.
The competition was rationalized so why then is expansion on the agenda?
Why do we need 25 rounds to find the top eight?
It has become a comp of dead rubber.
Make it cheaper for battlers to get in the gate, you are better off with a full stadium of cheap tickets instead of half a stadium of forty dollar seats and the rest of the footy community watching Fox at home.
Perth had decent crowds back in the day,in the past 20 years there's been a fair few nsw people relocate over there .if done right it could succeed but it is the nrl