News How I’ll whip NRL into shape: Peter Beattie

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can I just say first and foremost that I think Beattie is a fucking clown and I don't know how he is in the job but I found some of his recent comments interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Expansion:
“It’s a lot harder than I first thought,” Beattie said. “It’s one of the reasons why I’m pushing so hard in other areas. We can’t be landlocked in two states."

“I’ve said to the clubs and CEOs, if anyone falls over we won’t fund them. We will have to look at where they are."

So his first point is a fairly popular opinion, the NRL can't just be a 2 state comp (close to a 2 state comp), there needs to be a team in Perth and Adelaide and tbh I'd like them to replace 2 Sydney teams, the NRL has to start being a national sport.

His second point is really interesting, over the past few years the NRL has helped the Titans, Dragons and Newcastle stay afloat but from now on it seems like if a club takes a fall then the NRL will just let them die, it's probably a reason to reduce the amount of Sydney teams, I'd be worried if I was a Tigers or Manly fan, to be honest.

Player Behaviour
“If you have a rough criteria then no one will be surprised and, more to the point, no one will have excuses.

“If we can’t have consistency and regulation of these sorts of behaviour, we won’t have a game.”

At least he is acknowledging that the NRL is inconsistent when it comes down to handing punishments, it was a disgrace when you compare the treatment our club received compared to the treatment the Rabbitohs received.

Participation Strategy
“One of the keys to this is women. If they can see women play this game and can be trained to be tackle properly and build their physical capacity, women are more likely to say to their kids, ‘you can play rugby league’.

“At the end of it all — I’m not trying to be sexist — mums will make the decision. It happened in my family.

“Expanding the women’s game is not just about expanding it for all the right reasons, it’s about building the men’s game.”

This is actually a really good point, I know way too many families in which the mother denies her sons the chance to play footy, and encouraging females to start to learn the game by actually playing it and understanding that these guys are trained and safety is a priority then maybe we will see fewer mums restrict their sons and we'll see higher participation numbers.

Last edited:

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not only does he fuck up team names he believes the nrl comp is only in 2 states. If he ran the show there would be basketball hoops at each end. What a clown

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Focusing on females hmmm... disagree on that point. To me that’s a waste of money in growing the game. Women’s version of sports are barely successful... WNBA, womens soccer etc.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Can I just say first and foremost that I think Beattie is a fucking clown and I don't know how he is in the job but I found some of his recent comments interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Expansion:
“It’s a lot harder than I first thought,” Beattie said. “It’s one of the reasons why I’m pushing so hard in other areas. We can’t be landlocked in two states."
Right, because the Raiders, Storm and Warriors are all in those "two states", right dick head?

Wahesh

Reaction score
“Expanding the women’s game is not just about expanding it for all the right reasons, it’s about building the men’s game.”
Ummm... excuse me dickhead, but the MEN'S GAME BUILT THE WOMEN'S GAME, not the other way around :tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope he doesnt whip it into shape like he did the Olympic Games.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not only does he fuck up team names he believes the nrl comp is only in 2 states. If he ran the show there would be basketball hoops at each end. What a clown
Right, because the Raiders, Storm and Warriors are all in those "two states", right dick head?
Obviously the game isn’t 100% just based In 2 states but the issue lies in the fact that 14/16 teams come from the 2 states. Not only would it be better for the NRL it would be better for the Bulldogs if the NRL expanded and reduced the amount of Sydney teams, imagine all the extra young talent that would be available.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Obviously the game isn’t 100% just based In 2 states but the issue lies in the fact that 14/16 teams come from the 2 states. Not only would it be better for the NRL it would be better for the Bulldogs if the NRL expanded and reduced the amount of Sydney teams, imagine all the extra young talent that would be available.
I don't think reducing Sydney teams is the answer, however I think increasing the amount of teams period is. The amount of Sydney/NSW teams has been shredded since the introduction of the NRL with Mergers and Norths folding etc.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Perth and Adelaide experiments failed, why should Wests and Manly fans be worried?
The Rabbits showed what happens when you try and delete old Sydney clubs from NRL.
The competition was rationalized so why then is expansion on the agenda?
Why do we need 25 rounds to find the top eight?
It has become a comp of dead rubber.
Make it cheaper for battlers to get in the gate, you are better off with a full stadium of cheap tickets instead of half a stadium of forty dollar seats and the rest of the footy community watching Fox at home.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The tigers have been going broke for years and they are still alive, so i dont think they'll be closing up shop anytime soon

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A petrol sniffer would do a better job than this fucken bozo.

Proof the NRL is a joke when idiots like this get jobs.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
You want full stadiums and we want cheap full strength beer, no wonder we stay at home.
NRL Catering is bloody rip off.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Teams closest to folding would be manly and tigers I think. St George came very close a couple of years ago but were propped up by the NRL. They had to hold their awards night and other club events at WIN stadium because they couldn’t even afford venue hire

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think the game can move forward till these boneheads are replaced to be honest

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This commission should be decommissioned!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This.

There is only 1 Nrl team south or west of Canberra. There is no way it is a true national competition at the moment.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get rid of the Tigers and Parra.. it's pretty logical.. we are the dominant team in the south west and Penrith cover the greater west while Souths' reach extends to the inner west

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My point on reducing the Sydney teams not only helps spread young talent but also helps fill out stadiums, obviously I know that there are diehards of teams that would stop following league but in the long term people who are knew to the NRL will have less options to choose from and you will see memberships increase.