How Gus recruited Cameron Ciraldo in a Gosford McDonald's

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I found this an interesting insight into Ciraldo's character.

link: NRL news 2022: Phil Gould recruited Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo as a player in 2012 to Panthers

Cameron Ciraldo was announced as Canterbury's new head coach this week.

But he was first recruited by Phil Gould a decade earlier, and asked to help a flagging Penrith squad get up off its knees.

The now-37-year-old drove south from Newcastle to meet with Gould at Gosford McDonald's, and left with a handshake deal to pack his bags and move to the foot of Sydney's mountains.

"Where Panthers were placed, we were in the doldrums a little bit, and it was going to be a trip down the mines," Gould told Wide World of Sports' Six Tackles with Gus podcast.

"I remember I signed a couple of players - I signed he and Clint Newton - to make sure we weren't rushing our younger blokes, and to also give the players who were out there at the time a sense of professionalism.

Panthers assistant Cameron Ciraldo. (Getty)
"I knew of Cameron pretty well.

"He walked in (to the McDonald's meeting), Cameron, I said 'this is my vision for the club and this is what I want to do, this is the role you're going to be playing and it's not going to be glamorous... I need you to train every session, play every game, show the young blokes how to train hard and play hard'.

"He said 'that sounds great', and he shook my hand and got up and started to walk out.

"I said 'we haven't spoken money', and he said 'pay me what you like'."

Ciraldo joined Penrith ahead of the 2012 season and played 32 games for the club before hanging up his boots.

And while he was no longer contractually obliged to help the Panthers, he stuck around anyway, and has been there ever since.

"We used to train our junior reps at Patrician Brothers Blacktown. One afternoon I drove down... and there's Cameron Ciraldo standing with a couple of his young children watching the junior reps train," he said.

"I went across and said 'what are you doing?', and he said 'I'm interested in the kids coming through, I'm watching them'.

"The next week I went back and he was out helping the coaches, and helping the players, helping them train. No one ever asked him to do that.

"You could just see that he had a genuine love for it and feel for it."

Ciraldo began as an assistant coach with Penrith's junior teams, then took over as head coach of the under 20s and led the side to a premiership, before being promoted to NRL assistant.

He's been instrumental in the recent Panthers success, winning last year's title and making the grand final in 2020.

He will see out this season as Ivan Cleary's assistant before assuming his first NRL head coach role at Belmore.

Last edited:

The Fan

Waterboy
Reaction score
That was a rather pleasant read which is rare for The Kennel. If true, and I have no reason to doubt it, it does instil some confidence and leads me to believe that Gus has made a fine choice in hiring Ciraldo.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I found this an interesting insight into Ciraldo's character.

link: NRL news 2022: Phil Gould recruited Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo as a player in 2012 to Panthers

Cameron Ciraldo was announced as Canterbury's new head coach this week.

But he was first recruited by Phil Gould a decade earlier, and asked to help a flagging Penrith squad get up off its knees.

The now-37-year-old drove south from Newcastle to meet with Gould at Gosford McDonald's, and left with a handshake deal to pack his bags and move to the foot of Sydney's mountains.

"Where Panthers were placed, we were in the doldrums a little bit, and it was going to be a trip down the mines," Gould told Wide World of Sports' Six Tackles with Gus podcast.

"I remember I signed a couple of players - I signed he and Clint Newton - to make sure we weren't rushing our younger blokes, and to also give the players who were out there at the time a sense of professionalism.

Panthers assistant Cameron Ciraldo. (Getty)
"I knew of Cameron pretty well.

"He walked in (to the McDonald's meeting), Cameron, I said 'this is my vision for the club and this is what I want to do, this is the role you're going to be playing and it's not going to be glamorous... I need you to train every session, play every game, show the young blokes how to train hard and play hard'.

"He said 'that sounds great', and he shook my hand and got up and started to walk out.

"I said 'we haven't spoken money', and he said 'pay me what you like'."

Ciraldo joined Penrith ahead of the 2012 season and played 32 games for the club before hanging up his boots.

And while he was no longer contractually obliged to help the Panthers, he stuck around anyway, and has been there ever since.

"We used to train our junior reps at Patrician Brothers Blacktown. One afternoon I drove down... and there's Cameron Ciraldo standing with a couple of his young children watching the junior reps train," he said.

Phil Gould has been a long-time colleague of Ray Warren. (Getty)
"I went across and said 'what are you doing?', and he said 'I'm interested in the kids coming through, I'm watching them'.

"The next week I went back and he was out helping the coaches, and helping the players, helping them train. No one ever asked him to do that.

"You could just see that he had a genuine love for it and feel for it."

Ciraldo began as an assistant coach with Penrith's junior teams, then took over as head coach of the under 20s and led the side to a premiership, before being promoted to NRL assistant.

He's been instrumental in the recent Panthers success, winning last year's title and making the grand final in 2020.

He will see out this season as Ivan Cleary's assistant before assuming his first NRL head coach role at Belmore.
I imagine that Kayln Ponga is doing the same thing in Newcastle juniors seeing he is being paid so much. LOL

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Top story and when you think about it, he’s more aligned with Gus than the panthers given that history - perhaps he was always going to repay the faith and sign with us? Who knows, but I think he made a good choice… we’re on the up more than any other team and he’s got a good roster to build from in addition to copious cap space in 2024

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope this works out for us this club can’t afford any more hiccups

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
This explains the signing of players like Andrew Davey for those complaining about him being old.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did he get a free toy with the Happy Meal lol

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was a rather pleasant read which is rare for The Kennel. If true, and I have no reason to doubt it, it does instil some confidence and leads me to believe that Gus has made a fine choice in hiring Ciraldo.
Sounds like one of those "just loves footy" kind of guys. Bet he didn't say "pay me what you like" when negotiating the 5 yr deal though lol.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is our coach. Get behind him and the club. Dare to dream!
Let’s all hope he can build the club up and get back to where we belong.

Next step is to for Is assistant team. This is as critical to building success as the head coach and star players.

repolski

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's interesting how a lot of the player's who didn't really really great heights in first grade become better coaches than those who were rep players.
Hey…ciraldo played for the mighty Italy!!!!

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ciraldo sounds like a genuine down to earth guy who has great values and is a hard working guy who does it for love and not the cash, really hoping he succeeds otherwise could be career ending for him as a head coach .. fingers crossed he does well and earns the respect from the club and it's fans ... up the DOGGIESS!!!

Bulldogs_4eva

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ciraldo sounds like a genuine down to earth guy who has great values and is a hard working guy who does it for love and not the cash, really hoping he succeeds otherwise could be career ending for him as a head coach .. fingers crossed he does well and earns the respect from the club and it's fans ... up the DOGGIESS!!!
Love this guy already if the article is true, agreed hope he kills it, as nice guys should have success!

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cant remember a rookie coach having had so much hype.. He has a huge job ahead .. hope he he delivers..

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gould would have had the large Big Mac Meal with nuggets and caramel sundae.. while Ciraldo would have had the chicken ceasar salad wrap & orange juice..