How Dogs (and other NRL clubs) can match the Roosters

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
They have been in the same boat for decades though. You need to think broader than just a season or two
They will lose players. They will make sure to retain their key players (people can't touch Tedesco or Keary for e.g.). I don't think for e.g. they'll be comfortable having 1.5m in talent in the Centres. JWH will leave for a pay day, e.g. Panthers. There are a few other players in similar positions. The thing is they will just recruit the next best for value, something we can't do.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
They will lose players. They will make sure to retain their key players (people can't touch Tedesco or Keary for e.g.). I don't think for e.g. they'll be comfortable having 1.5m in talent in the Centres. JWH will leave for a pay day, e.g. Panthers. There are a few other players in similar positions. The thing is they will just recruit the next best for value, something we can't do.
Agreed except the recruiting for best value, as I’ve said they have internationals playing reserve grade. They buy the best players consistently and always have

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
With what money mate? You talk like it’s SuperCoach
What are you talking about? We'll have ~3m in the salary cap after retaining players (for 2021). That is enough for 2 marquee signings and either another decent player or a young gun. We also have ~1m in the salary cap for next year, but we're not going to sign players that're going to jeopardise 2021 and further just for the sake of it are we.
Yes, a lot of things in the media could be inaccurate or untrue (e.g. we only had enough money to sign 2/3 - Koroisau, Ramien, Ese'ese), but not everything is and I'd rather use that then nothing at all. At the end of the day none of us actually know what's happening, but we're allowed to have our opinions.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What are you talking about? We'll have ~3m in the salary cap after retaining players (for 2021). That is enough for 2 marquee signings and either another decent player or a young gun. We also have ~1m in the salary cap for next year, but we're not going to sign players that're going to jeopardise 2021 and further just for the sake of it are we.
This is why we need to stay away from Leilua.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes, a lot of things in the media could be inaccurate or untrue (e.g. we only had enough money to sign 2/3 - Koroisau, Ramien, Ese'ese), but not everything is and I'd rather use that then nothing at all. At the end of the day none of us actually know what's happening, but we're allowed to have our opinions.
You’re talking about signing Ramien, that’s not for 2021

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You’re talking about signing Ramien, that’s not for 2021
? In the media it was said we could sign 2/3 of Koroisau, Ramien and Ese'ese, before they realised we had to pay overs and could only afford 1 (couldn't afford Koroisau and Ramien together more so). This is for 2020. I was just using that as an e.g. of how I got we have ~1m to spend for 2020.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
? In the media it was said we could sign 2/3 of Koroisau, Ramien and Ese'ese, before they realised we had to pay overs and could only afford 1 (couldn't afford Koroisau and Ramien together more so). This is for 2020. I was just using that as an e.g. of how I got we have ~1m to spend for 2020.
See that’s your issue. What percentage of what the media says actually comes true or is based on fact?

In your defense, the club are very tight lipped about what we tell the media now and for good reason.
What the club did say though, was that we can’t make big signings until 2021. People seem to be forgetting that

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
See that’s your issue. What percentage of what the media says actually comes true or is based on fact?

In your defense, the club are very tight lipped about what we tell the media now and for good reason.
What the club did say though, was that we can’t make big signings until 2021. People seem to be forgetting that
I've always said 2020 will be much like 2019 and 2021 will be the big 1 regarding recruitment (which starts between this November and the start of next season). That's due to the quality of players available for 2021 compared to 2020 as well as the money we have to spend (available, "war chest" and just paying more then value).
Like I said before I acknowledge that the media isn't always correct, but I'd rather use that as an argument then nothing at all (a lot of other people argue against me using nothing, which is much worse then what I'm doing, I basically say this is what it looks like and if it's true then x will happen - which is still an opinion due my position just being a fan of the club/NRL). Technically nothing is fact unless it's official from the club/NRL.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I've always said 2020 will be much like 2019 and 2021 will be the big 1 regarding recruitment (which starts between this November and the start of next season). That's due to the quality of players available for 2021 compared to 2020 as well as the money we have to spend (available, "war chest" and just paying more then value).
Like I said before I acknowledge that the media isn't always correct, but I'd rather use that as an argument then nothing at all. Technically nothing if fact unless it's official from the club/NRL.
Exactly.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Nick's money evaporates so does the roosters roster. Its a running joke among ex players and has been for years. the only difference is they changed their approach and now buy juniors at premium prices and outside of the cap and then filter. In fact any privately owned club rorts the cap and then you have the broncos who are backed by the thoroughbred club which is a group of business men who funnel millions in to ensure the cream stays. Stylistics will clearly show the NRL haven't achieved shit in there salary cap system because over the next 30 years there will be 4 club that dominate GF's. and a lot of people will walk away from the game too.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So given the turnover of players, administrators, coaches and support staff the Roosters have had over the past decade, none of them, and I mean NONE of them have seen fit to dob us in for these under the table payments? Not even those gutter dwelling scum, the player agent, having seen their player moved on has been motivated to dob us in?

Some of you are hysterical...in both ways.
Mate your team is the sacred cow of the NRL the Media and a lot of very wealthy people, from personal experience the media have always been very reluctant to report against the big boys.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So given the turnover of players, administrators, coaches and support staff the Roosters have had over the past decade, none of them, and I mean NONE of them have seen fit to dob us in for these under the table payments? Not even those gutter dwelling scum, the player agent, having seen their player moved on has been motivated to dob us in?

Yes I've wondered about this also. Maybe all associated are scared for their safety aware Uncle Nick has professional hitmen working for him too

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Same retort every time from this buffoon.
Why do you even come here? Do you not have anything better to do than spend your life on other team forums in addition to your own?

Hysterical is the rorters fans that can't admit the rort.
I don’t think they even bothered making a roosters forum. They usually only have a dozen fans until they cheat well enough to assemble a premiership team then they all come out of the woodwork

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That 3m you speak of could buy the Roosters 1-5 according to Buzz’s numbers. Bet we don’t even come close to that though...

This bullshit about players accepting under is a prime reason why contract dollars should not be used as the tool to distribute talent.

Use a points system, or set contract amounts for various experience/rep/whatever achievements, or something else...the present system is broken.

garbo60

Waterboy
Reaction score

If it came out the Taxation department would go after them because you don’t pay tax when the money is In a brown paper bag

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So no one dobs us in for breaching the cap because Nick will send a hitman and the taxation department will get involved?

I'm curious, how much tin foil would you guys go through in a season?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
So no one dobs us in for breaching the cap because Nick will send a hitman and the taxation department will get involved?

the only defence for the Rorters is that most of the other teams would be doing some level of their own cheating... still doesn't make it fair I know... but that's business.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Maybe not a hitman but good luck working in the industry again

fooch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The nrl salary cap auditer is a toothless tiger blind freddy knows the rorters are cheating the cap otherwise publish the salaries and tpa's of all clubs what's there to hide . Uncle nick wont allow it

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was going to make the same comment - why don’t the AFL have the same problems - such a smarter run organisation over the NRL.

The only alternative to the AFL system that I see are that contracts and salaries (abolish TPA’s) are handled by the NRL, not the clubs. So even the NRL would pay players wages and stop handing over so much money to the clubs. Surely there’s a precedent here - NFL?

Clubs can recruit as they do today and chase whoever and offer whatever they want - and they’ll know exactly how much they have to spend because the NRL also knows in an audited fashion. Then, when a deal is done, the NRL can rubber stamp it is OK or not. This might be the only alternative to a draft.

It’s the only way to stop the rorts that clearly happen today - then clubs can focus on coaches and tactics to win in the manner they should win - by being the best on the park - not being the richest nor having the most creative accountants.
This perhaps touches on a key issue, the clubs. I reckon if you took this idea to the NRL they would take it to the clubs and that is where it would die. The clubs would not accept it. This then becomes the problem, the NRL needs to be changed, but it can't be changed without club agreement, and the clubs aren't going to agree to changes that reduces their level of control.