How Dogs (and other NRL clubs) can match the Roosters

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I would also add that Ch9 is Politis's right arm, All the other clubs particularly Sydney based ones will always struggle while Ch9 supports the Roosters, I can't see that changing any time soon..
He’s a very powerful man. You only have to read the garbage Buzz has in the telegraph today to see that. Then read the comments though for a balanced point of view.

If it was the bulldogs in that position the media would hammer us. Unfortunately when Politis goes the roosters board is still stacked with other powerful people

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So given the turnover of players, administrators, coaches and support staff the Roosters have had over the past decade, none of them, and I mean NONE of them have seen fit to dob us in for these under the table payments? Not even those gutter dwelling scum, the player agent, having seen their player moved on has been motivated to dob us in?

Some of you are hysterical...in both ways.
Delusional but good luck if you also believe in the tooth fairy.

Even player agents don't bite the hand that feeds them...Moses anyone?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He’s a very powerful man. You only have to read the garbage Buzz has in the telegraph today to see that. Then read the comments though for a balanced point of view.

If it was the bulldogs in that position the media would hammer us. Unfortunately when Politis goes the roosters board is still stacked with other powerful people
Anyone able to post that DT article? Probably all figures given to Buzz by Rorters accountant but still...

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So given the turnover of players, administrators, coaches and support staff the Roosters have had over the past decade, none of them, and I mean NONE of them have seen fit to dob us in for these under the table payments? Not even those gutter dwelling scum, the player agent, having seen their player moved on has been motivated to dob us in?

Some of you are hysterical...in both ways.
Same retort every time from this buffoon.
Why do you even come here? Do you not have anything better to do than spend your life on other team forums in addition to your own?

Hysterical is the rorters fans that can't admit the rort.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Anyone able to post that DT article? Probably all figures given to Buzz by Rorters accountant but still...
Sorry it’s messy just away from the computer at the moment

ROOSTERS
Roosters and Raiders getting best players for less in search of success
Phil Rothfield, sports editor-at-large, The Daily Telegraph
October 2, 2019 10:12am
Subscriber only
The Sydney Roosters are worth almost $2 million more than the NRL salary cap … but it doesn’t mean they are cheating.

An analysis of the talent in both grand final sides reveals the Roosters have a squad that would be worth more than $11.4 million if their players were on the open market.

The NRL salary cap this year is $9.6 million.

VOTE TEDESCO AS GQ AUSTRALIA SPORTSPERSON OF THE YEAR

MORE IN SPORT

Raiders thank Politis for driving Bateman to ACT
Raiders thank Politis for driving Bateman to ACT

Roosters: Don’t hate us because we’re the best
Roosters: Don’t hate us because we’re the best

However there are genuine reasons why the defending premiers have a more valuable side than most of their rivals, not just the Raiders.

Replay the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final in full on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >

These are estimates of what the players are worth, not their actual salaries.
● Players will take “unders” to play and learn under super coach Trent Robinson, the same as they would to play under Craig Bellamy at Melbourne Storm.

● Player agents will send players to Moore Park because of the strong culture which has been led by first Sonny Bill Williams, then Cooper Cronk and Kangaroos captain Boyd Cordner.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Your seven day forecast during Extreme Weather season, watch Sky News Weather. For more

● Players will take “unders” to play at a successful club to play finals football and win premierships.

● Players will also take ‘unders’ to play at winning club to increase their State of Origin and international selection chances. (Players get $90,000 to play in an Origin series.)

James Tedesco could earn more but be less successful. Photo: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images
For years the Roosters have been accused of rorting the cap but a proper analysis also reveals they are sharper at recruitment and develop players better than most of their rivals from under-18s.

An incredible 23 of the top 30 squad have been at the club since under-20s.

The Daily Telegraph has valued the Roosters team at $1.5 million more than the Canberra Raiders.

Champion fullback James Tedesco is an example of a player prepared to accept less money to win premierships rather than struggle at the Wests Tigers.

He is valued at $1.2 million but is only being paid around $900,000.

He went to the Roosters to become a better player under Robinson ahead of Ivan Cleary.

He went to a club run by Nick Politis because it was more appealing than working for Marina Go and Justin Pascoe at the time.

Mitchell’s heart is with the Roosters. Photo: AAP Image/Bianca De Marchi
Centre Latrell Mitchell is another good example. He could get up towards $1 million-a-year at a club like the Canterbury Bulldogs but the Roosters won’t go anywhere near that amount.

In the national capital, coach Ricky Stuart had the opposite problem when he first arrived.

Before this year, when they were no so competitive, he had to pay “overs” to convince players to move to the nation’s capital.

It was then he decided to build his side around the best English players, who were already used to the cooler climate in Canberra and just wanted an opportunity to play NRL.

Sam Ayoub is one of the longest serving player agents in the game.

He knows the market better than most and the reasons why the Roosters can attract the best players.

Canberra gambled on the best of British and won. Photo: Tracey Nearmy/Getty Images
MORE NEWS

Ultimate guide to Dally M Medal

Sia’s dream realised after 15 year wait

“They are a successful club,” he says, “They have a very strong board, senior management, coaching staff and quality leaders,” Ayoub said, “That’s what makes the culture great and appealing to football players.

“It’s a fact players will sign there for less. Say eight players took $100,000 less to play there, they’ve saved $800,000 in the cap compared to what another club would spend.”

He says the Raiders will get the same benefits from making the grand final and having a leader of the calibre of Ricky Stuart.

“Ricky’s created a great culture and it’s a far more appealing football club than it was when he first started,” Ayoub said, “He won’t have to pay as much as he used to for the best players.”

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
11.4 sounds about right, and I doubt 18 blokes are taking 100k less each lol

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
just imagine what Keary'a next contract will be worth... They might have to sign a few more internationals to make sure they can afford to keep him

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uncle Nick speaking out last week and now this article full of trash. Hope the public scrutiny continues and they get caught out

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Angus on 600k. That must be the wrong book
You need to read. It's guessing their value on the open market. If you're saying Crichton wouldn't get 600k on the open market then I just disagree with you. Taukeiaho worth 300k on the open market I disagree with. Wtf is that.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
When the Roosters' have to resign their current 1-17 they're f'd. F'd as in will lose players. I'm not sure how people don't see/understand this.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You need to read. It's guessing their value on the open market. If you're saying Crichton wouldn't get 600k on the open market then I just disagree with you.
Can read thanks, open market is 300k less than they are paying him. Which means they are paying unders in fake land...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Can read thanks, open market is 300k less than they are paying him. Which means they are paying unders in fake land...
Roosters' are paying 1m (some sources say 800k, so whatever you want to run with), so they're actually paying overs now. At the time Crichton was worth 800k tho. Even with how good the Roosters' are in recruitment you're going to get signings that don't work out and that's the same for every club.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
"Before this year, when they were no so competitive, he had to pay “overs” to convince players to move to the nation’s capital."
Hate to see it, ay boys?

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You need to read. It's guessing their value on the open market. If you're saying Crichton wouldn't get 600k on the open market then I just disagree with you. Taukeiaho worth 300k on the open market I disagree with. Wtf is that.
Just more of them under cutting what they are worth. 275k by the way for Taukeiaho. 250 Bmoz…
And 13 players make up 2 mil including 500kish for Friend... Yeah NAH

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we go for Leilua at all id be pissed, but if we went for him at 600k i'll near on slit my wrists. He's worth the same as Manu GTFOH

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we go for Leilua at all id be pissed, but if we went for him at 600k i'll near on slit my wrists. He's worth the same as Manu GTFOH
400k I'd be happy signing him. 500k I'll be like... okay I guess... 600k just wait for the better Centre's available. If the Koroisau and Ramien situations are something to go off we're hopefully saving money for a big Centre (Latrell, Manu, whoever else). I'm pretty sure the club will try to pick up good players for their "value", but it just isn't realistic. We might as well pay overs for the best if that's what we have to do.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
400k I'd be happy signing him. 500k I'll be like... okay I guess... 600k just wait for the better Centre's available.
He is far from what we need, if we sign this fool will be another signing that we made 5 years too late. Fat, unfit, full of errors & dumbass penalties. Rather invest in what we have coming through than sign this DH

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
When the Roosters' have to resign their current 1-17 they're f'd. F'd as in will lose players. I'm not sure how people don't see/understand this.
They have been in the same boat for decades though. You need to think broader than just a season or two

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
400k I'd be happy signing him. 500k I'll be like... okay I guess... 600k just wait for the better Centre's available. If the Koroisau and Ramien situations are something to go off we're hopefully saving money for a big Centre (Latrell, Manu, whoever else). I'm pretty sure the club will try to pick up good players for their "value", but it just isn't realistic. We might as well pay overs for the best if that's what we have to do.
With what money mate? You talk like it’s SuperCoach