How does the sale of a player, and what a club need to contribute work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Would someone please tell me how a club has to contribute to a player who changes to another club.
Its got me fucked to be honest.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Would someone please tell me how a club has to contribute to a player who changes to another club.
Its got me fucked to be honest.
He signed a 4 year contract 850k a year. He’s entitled to see it out. If we want to push him out and sharks want to sign him, he will obviously want to stay on 850k (unless he hates it here). So if we are desperate to move him on and sharks want to pick him up for 650, then we will pay the difference to free up 650 for ourselves

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is a question for Dib and Castle

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NRL will never register a contract for less.

So woods incremental contract stays (say its 850, 900, 950, what ever).

If sharks sign him for 750pa x4 ends up being 3 mil over 4 years. We provide what ever the short fall is (ps these are made up numbers before people go psycho)

Only way I guess is if a player seeks a release then the club isn’t responsible to pay any short fall. But most likely if a player seeks a release (like Barba) doubt he will go for less.

If a club wants a player (like woods) then dogs can negotiate a player swap or something financial (like the ticket deal with hannant).

So there are a few situations that can occur.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
NRL will never register a contract for less.

So woods incremental contract stays (say its 850, 900, 950, what ever).

If sharks sign him for 750pa x4 ends up being 3 mil over 4 years. We provide what ever the short fall is (ps these are made up numbers before people go psycho)

Only way I guess is if a player seeks a release then the club isn’t responsible to pay any short fall. But most likely if a player seeks a release (like Barba) doubt he will go for less.

If a club wants a player (like woods) then dogs can negotiate a player swap or something financial (like the ticket deal with hannant).

So there are a few situations that can occur.
Actually that's incorrect. Many different factors to consider.

For example if Woods asked for a release from the remainder of his contract to leave the dogs and he accepts less to go to another club for a better opportunity then dogs pay nothing.

If dogs asj woods to leave to another club and woods wants all his money then the 3 parties involved have to work out a deal where cronulla pays an x amount and dogs make up the rest

You have to factor in TPA which the club isn't liable for.

Also woods who for arguments sake is on 800 can't be registered for 400k at cronulla. A player of his stature is perceived to earn a higher x amount of dollars.
But if woods agrees to leave dogs to accept a 700k contract for example then that's fine. As long as he is the one who sought the release and foregoes his current contract.

It isn't a straightforward answer and more so case by case. Its up to the NRL end of the day and as we know their is no consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.