Opinion How do we overcome referee bias?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
JAC and Jake looked at each other and left it for each other.

He should learn from that and take away commanding the play rather than leaving it for someone else.
Should it be Jake's in that position? I'm guessing it probably is.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's not a question of if there is any it's a question of how do we stop it.

1. Tass puts hand into touch. Penalty Souths
2. Head Clash. Penalty Souths
3. Waddell Suffers high tackle then interfered on play the ball. Knock on Dogs.
4. Latrell smacks fox trying to stop him running past in try scoring opportunity. Latrell not sin binned.
5. Walker palms Flange in the face. Ref apologises to Cody that kyle mocked him.
6. Blatant strip on Marshall King 3 in tackle. Dogs knockon.
7. TPJ knocks the arm without touching the ball from marker, TPJ knock on.

Getting walked back 12-15 metres so they can let Souffs play touch football.
Tough 50/50's for shit that we invariably cop throughout most of any given contest.
Ref is constantly calling our players out of tackles, calling to release before tackles completed and when Souffs purposefully gameplanned to put pressure on us coming out of our own end by slowing the ptb down and jumping the gun in defense the ref is a mute.

I'm sick of oh they gave their all, they're building well, how about just for a novel idea the referee let's a team exert score pressure instead of bringing teams back into games with nefarious penalties.

When's it gunna turn around or what do we have to do to force the turn around.

Over it!
There’s no bias in our games. BUT against Souths there most certainly is

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That shows you how corrupt the NRL is you can tell because the media not one word was said in the media about any of these dud calls it’s all about south’s and how good that wanker latrell
But who’s fault is that? the coach and captain should at least be asking the questions about it because who else will? And until something is said it will just keep getting swept under the rug

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
he will learn people have to remember he’s so young in this new role there will be mistakes
100%, just pointing out it's a mistake that he can learn from.

Confidence and a winning streak also play a major part in individual and team's performance. When they have their "mojo", they'll be a lot more assertive in their decisions (such as this one) on the field.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 1.36.15 pm.jpeg

First penalty of the match. Bulldogs offside, outside Souths 40m and then this leads to the first souths try. Why was this a penalty and not a set restart?

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Voodoo dolls.
Write nasty words in chalk on the road outside their homes.
Tell em they suck eggs on social media.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That shows you how corrupt the NRL is you can tell because the media not one word was said in the media about any of these dud calls it’s all about south’s and how good that wanker latrell
Only Anasta mentioned it on Fox, Cronk did not say a single word he was sucking off Lattrell so much.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We will never until we have a elite player that can intimidate the ref and a real captain instead of silent Jackson... Eg listen to how DCE always pushes his case to the ref, may be annoying but at least he's being vocal for his team..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ok so yes we blame the ref for one-sided dud decisions and it seems like fans are playing the victim card.

But please can anyone at all recall a game/give an example of a game, where opposition fans were blowing up about us getting 99% the 50/50s, wrong decisions, commentators staying silent or dismissing blatant "mistakes" by refs against us, are we ever allowed to get away with striking a player, several forward passes, gaming the ref and getting the raking the ball out, hands on ball penalties?

No it just doesn't happen. We are always behind the 8 ball and it's not always our own doing.

We are ALWAYS on the receiving end of either ref incompetency or rorting.

We find enough ways on our own to lose but its just not a fair assessment of what happens in our games, and the influence poor reffing has on us keeping in the game to just dismiss all the dud decisions that go against us.

Our own luck just can't naturally be that bad and there are other factors outside our control.

If we could eliminate all our own faults and play perfect football then maybe we could win but even Penrith don't play perfect winning football without ref assistance.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Baz would hint how things didnt go our way and questioned calls in pressers. Where is he now?
Potter lays the blame at our feet. Was disappointed with the loss because we capitulated. It would appear we are playing better footy under him.
I admire that, it is the right direction to be heading in.

If there was ever going to be a change it would have to come from Clubs getting together with a constructed argument formally presented to the NRL.

I dont think officiating is of concern for Clubs in the top 6 at all and all the other clubs have too many other things to worry about for it to even be a concern.

Their is no rort, its incompetents which only effects the fans.

The NRL wont even have coaches or players question them without punishment so why would they give a shit what the fans want?

I dont care. I want us to win in the face of adversity like we almost did last night.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You should watch bro, dogs are playing a great brand of football. Only a matter of time before we are challenging again
100% I actually started to feel some real love for the players again after watching yesterday's performance. We haven't scored entertaining tried like that for a good 7-8 years.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Baz would hint how things didnt go our way and questioned calls in pressers. Where is he now?
Potter lays the blame at our feet. Was disappointed with the loss because we capitulated. It would appear we are playing better footy under him.
I admire that, it is the right direction to be heading in.

If there was ever going to be a change it would have to come from Clubs getting together with a constructed argument formally presented to the NRL.

I dont think officiating is of concern for Clubs in the top 6 at all and all the other clubs have too many other things to worry about for it to even be a concern.

Their is no rort, its incompetents which only effects the fans.

The NRL wont even have coaches or players question them without punishment so why would they give a shit what the fans want?

I dont care. I want us to win in the face of adversity like we almost did last night.
I would say over the last 20-30 years, regardless of whether we are playing well or poor and whichever coach was in charge, we are generally on the receiving end of bad 50/50's and/or behind on the penalty count. We never have favourable runs of matches with officials like souths, broncos and parramatta where they seemingly get all the calls go their way. I don't know if it's bias, or lack of a real home ground advantage. Maybe it's our choice of captain, who knows. The beauty is when we play teams like the roosters and raiders who like to complain about how the refs have it in for them, etc. Well, they still get more penalties against us!

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way to combat it is to win so convincingly that the refs cant impact the result.
As a club it appears as though we are slowly headed in the right direction.
However until juniors fill our ranks via jr pathways we will run the chance of having things go tits up with 1 or 2 bad high priced signings or injuries to key players.
The right coach....jr pathways......then players will want to be back playing in the mighty B&W and fill out the remaining spots on our roster on cap friendly deals as we challenge for top 4 annually!!

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would say over the last 20-30 years, regardless of whether we are playing well or poor and whichever coach was in charge, we are generally on the receiving end of bad 50/50's and/or behind on the penalty count. We never have favourable runs of matches with officials like souths, broncos and parramatta where they seemingly get all the calls go their way. I don't know if it's bias, or lack of a real home ground advantage. Maybe it's our choice of captain, who knows. The beauty is when we play teams like the roosters and raiders who like to complain about how the refs have it in for them, etc. Well, they still get more penalties against us!
My memory is pretty bad. Id say in the last 5 years you are right. I also think the less dominant teams are in the same boat. I believe the team with the momentum playing a better brand of footy gets the calls. The 6 again in its first year was horrendous.
With Potter we are more disciplined and we dont seem to cop as many 6 agains. I could be wrong.
I still dont beleive souths werent off side and taking advantage of not being penalized laying in the ruck the whole game last night. It is true that last night the officiating was poor.

Winners dont care. I dont think Penrith and Storm have had too much to complain about because they are dominant and as soon as we are again I dont think Dogs supporters will care as much about poor officiating especially when nothing gets done about it.

Your right about the Roosters.

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not watching anymore. If we lose we lose, but if we're copping a steady stream of bad calls I get really pissed off. I used to watch 3 or more games most weekends, but I started seeing that the refereeing always favours one team strongly. You watch some games where a shit team beats premiership threats by virtue of getting every call from refs and even then it pissed me off. Seems like a ploy to take money off gamblers.

I've said already this week that I think the refs are working towards getting the ideal result for our gambling partner. And the last few years of seeing what I suspect were refs helping to fix matches has me at the point where I'd almost be happy if the game died.

Given that we have one of the biggest fanbases and many people have an emotional bet (still betting even if we're unlikely to win) I think stop betting on us. If all the money is on our opponents and my suspicions are right it takes away the motive for refs to shit on us.

My hope at the time that Gould joined us was that he'd be outspoken against the bias against us. It really seems like he's not willing to say a thing though.
You have hit the nail on the head @alan79,betting agencies should not be sponsoring sports teams or organisations and the NRL is a prime example. Referees bias towards a team is inexplicable act of unprofessionalism of the highest degree. Too much money changing hands to run an honest and open competition when betting agencies have their fingerprints all over it.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree, I have watched most games over the past 30 years and we have never been a team that gets the rub of the green. The only club who think cops it worse is the Warriors.

Last edited: