Opinion How did the officials miss this ffs lucky it didn’t contribute to the result

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
its just another one of those consistent inconsistencies by the officials, good luck to them for getting away with it, why didn't storm question it at the time

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The wonderful Ashley Klein missed the incident in the other finals game where Sean Keppie was obviously concussed after making a tackle because "he did not see him stumbling"....what was he doing looking at himself on screen like Gerard....

The NRL keep banging on about looking after a players welfare, yet they continually do not see incidents in a game that would be in their plain sight.
Gee Luai must have remarkable recovery powers...but as he would have been marked HIA on the match sheet he will need to have a follow up concussion test this week...

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
ive seen this many times in rugby league, not as much as that though, thats 10m in

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As we knew would happen apology after the fact...

The NRL has conceded a "failure of process" led to a dumfounding error which could have helped decide Saturday's preliminary final between Penrith and Melbourne.

Eagle-eyed viewers noticed Panthers halfback Nathan Cleary took a conversion attempt several metres infield from where his teammate Brian To'o had scored a try during the 10-6 win over the Storm which booked a grand final berth against South Sydney this week.

Luckily, Cleary missed the kick anyway and it didn't end up factoring in the result.

But NRL's head of football, Graham Annesley today told media the mistake simply wasn't good enough from referee Gerard Sutton and his touchline officials.

Annesley assured media and fans the same error will not happen in Sunday's premiership decider.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
But NRL's head of football, Graham Annesley today told media the mistake simply wasn't good enough from referee Gerard Sutton and his touchline officials.

Annesley assured media and fans the same error will not happen in Sunday's premiership decider.
Hopefully that means that he and his sideline team won't be part of the Grand Final....but then if not we are left with the other one Klein who does not know when a player is really injured...

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't understand how this ever happens. Like what the fuck is Sutton doing, or is any ref doing at that moment? Surely their one job after the try is confirmed is confirming the conversion spot. Once that is confirmed you move onto whatever the fuck you do next.

Seems like refs are taking this time to relax and fondle their nuts or something?

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't understand how this ever happens. Like what the fuck is Sutton doing, or is any ref doing at that moment? Surely their one job after the try is confirmed is confirming the conversion spot. Once that is confirmed you move onto whatever the fuck you do next.

Seems like refs are taking this time to relax and fondle their nuts or something?
You confirm the spot where the try was scored. Then the touch judge stands on the spot, until you have the kicker in the right spot, and then the touchie moves into position behind the posts. Not overly difficult.

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
You confirm the spot where the try was scored. Then the touch judge stands on the spot, until you have the kicker in the right spot, and then the touchie moves into position behind the posts. Not overly difficult.

Wouldn't that slow things down though whilst you wait for the touchie to get behind the posts? I don't see why the touchie needs to be involved at all. The ref should be with the kicker making sure he does the right thing until the kick is completed. Unless of course the ref has something else to do at that time that I am unaware of/

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wouldn't that slow things down though whilst you wait for the touchie to get behind the posts? I don't see why the touchie needs to be involved at all. The ref should be with the kicker making sure he does the right thing until the kick is completed. Unless of course the ref has something else to do at that time that I am unaware of/
The ref is with the kicker once the touchie has lined the ref up in the correct spot. It's been the procedure for years.

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
The ref is with the kicker once the touchie has lined the ref up in the correct spot. It's been the procedure for years.

Right so the touchie is to blame for this stuff then?

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Right so the touchie is to blame for this stuff then?
That is the most likely scenario. In my career I had some touchies who were absolutely hopeless, and they weren't good enough to be in the middle with the whistle.