Opinion How bad a coach is fitler

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Burton has the biggest boot in the NRL but he isn't close to he the best kicker.
BRO, please. Cleary and Adam Reynolds have the best kicking games in the NRL and daylight is second. Burton can kick a ball really high and that's kinda it. Even Burton's first kick was an absolute shocker. He had that one good bomb that Ponga couldn't get anywhere near but apart from that, his kicks didn't trouble anyone.
You both know exactly what I was saying and I gave 2 examples to support it, a high kick and a long drop out. I shouldn't really have to spell it out for you, but I'll try harder next time.

Always a Bulldog

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NSW's problem is that some of them were glory seeking prima donnas that were trying to be the miracle worker that single handedly "stole" the series from Qld.... aka the Penriff connection. Tedesco was just as guilty.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It was honestly a joke, Ponga looked very uncomfortable under one of Burton's bombs. What does Fraudy do? You never see it again for the rest of the match, just let Luai & Cleary put zero pressure kicks on Ponga. JOKE

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Fittler always was a joke, now it's out in the open. He thought if he picked the Penrith team it would be in the bag, well.....

Lulai went completely missing when his team and State needed him. Can't stand the fukwit tbh, loves it when he's on top of the pile giving shite to everyone and acting like a fukin child but when men are needed and the grind is on, HE GOES MISSING!

Tough game and hat off to NSW & QLD for a great spectacle. 3 blokes gone in 3:39secs!
Had to laugh at what Corey Oates said, "I wanted to vomit for about half an hour". LMAO
GO QLD!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I've been around for many years and until SOO began I never really saw myself as a New South Welshman first, I was Australian.
But I get the impression that many Queenslanders see themselves as Queenslanders first and Australians second. That's why it means so much.
I mean no disrespect with this. Have I got it wrong?
Yeah and no I reckon. Maybe it's a little bit Country V City type of thing with a few other factors rolled in. When I was growing up Brissie was considered a large Country town, sort of what Townsville was like in 2000-04 when I was based there. Country always has that "hard" element to it IMO.

Then you add the stuff our Dad's all taught us about how NSW use to steal our players to play against us and dominate. Then 1980 happened and it was our chance as Qlder's to represent ourselves against the NSW juggernaut. We were always up against it as NSW had such a larger pool of "professional big league" players to choose from. We just had our local comp with a few Qlder's playing in the big time down south.

I think early Lang Park (The Cauldron) also adds to the bigger picture because back in the day (and now) it was heaven on earth. The old mango tree, the aura of the place. I grew up there watching Origin in the 80's. Was at the game with the beers cans lol. Young blokes, there Dad's and the bloke across the road going to Origin to play against the giants! It was something for Son's and Dad's to share, our Dad's taught us to hate the Blues and we did. We learnt as part of growing up that your a Qlder!

I also remember back in the day the Footy being heavily influenced by the NSW RL in all matters and certain decisions around SOO time would always anger Qld. The old Ken Arthurson days.

I played once on the old Lang Park and when I ran out there it was like a life's accomplishment. We lost bad I think that day, but I was a pig in mud regardless. Getting ready in the sheds that Wally and the boys used was just plain amazing. Then as a teenager, when the games use to start before midnight you would get together with your mate's, everyone had a Qld jersey and you hated the blues together.

Maybe we are Qlder's first lol BUT we are heavily patriotic (or atleast the older generation was) and we love our Australia too.

Not trying to say anything or start anything. Not saying we want it more or whatever, just thought you might like my insight to a Qlder.

As a side tip: When I was with the ex (Was a blues supporter arggh) she was heavily pregnant with our first child. We were on a roadtrip near the border and the roads were all fuked. Bumpy as fuk, throwing us around. I suspected she was tying to start the labour early so our Daughter would be born in NSW. I turned the car around and we came back to Qld. LOL

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Alexander's interview on 360 was embarrassing he is totally clueless tactically and with player selections.

No point supporting the Blues when they have clowns in charge of the most talented players NSW has seen for a long time.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Alexander's interview on 360 was embarrassing he is totally clueless tactically and with player selections.

No point supporting the Blues when they have clowns in charge of the most talented players NSW has seen for a long time.
Brandy's mentality was deflect and protect his precious panthers.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah the ***** horrid, we were a poorly coached team last night and it showed...

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton has the biggest boot in the NRL but he isn't close to he the best kicker.
hes deffo close to the best kicker, pretty sure most of his tries have been from kicks, you have some weird hatred to burton lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
hes deffo close to the best kicker, pretty sure most of his tries have been from kicks, you have some weird hatred to burton lol
I don't, i just don't think he's anywhere near as good as people on here think he is at this stage of his career. Reynolds, Cleary, DCE, Moses and Hunt all have far superior kicking games than Burton.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't, i just don't think he's anywhere near as good as people on here think he is at this stage of his career. Reynolds, Cleary, DCE, Moses and Hunt all have far superior kicking games than Burton.
Ill have Reynolds, DCE and Cleary, I think the rest he could easily be alongside.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Ill have Reynolds, DCE and Cleary, I think the rest he could easily be alongside.
How? He rarely kicks to corners, kicks early to turn a team around or kicks into space...his kick management just isn't good enough to be close to the best imo. His clearing kicks when he nails them look spectacular and are unique to him but there's been plenty of times where a higher percentage kick option is available but he just doesn't take it. I think it a lot of situations we would be better served with him looking for placement and forcing teams to work the ball out from the sideline. The Sharks game was a great example, Hynes kicked us to death with a variety of kicks and limited our kick return metres and made us work the ball out from poor areas. Burton on the other hand continued to put the same bomb up over and over again and as a result the Sharks were getting cheap kick return metres and working the ball to centre field quite easily.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How? He rarely kicks to corners, kicks early to turn a team around or kicks into space...his kick management just isn't good enough to be close to the best imo. His clearing kicks when he nails them look spectacular and are unique to him but there's been plenty of times where a higher percentage kick option is available but he just doesn't take it. I think it a lot of situations we would be better served with him looking for placement and forcing teams to work the ball out from the sideline. The Sharks game was a great example, Hynes kicked us to death with a variety of kicks and limited our kick return metres and made us work the ball out from poor areas. Burton on the other hand continued to put the same bomb up over and over again and as a result the Sharks were getting cheap kick return metres and working the ball to centre field quite easily.
Did you watch the game vs eels? Burton ripped moses to pieces and his boot tore eels apart, the game vs sharks our forwards lost the battle, the game is about field position, burton in a side that at times havent even won field position has kicked us into the game, look at the Roosters one also, his 40/20 was brilliant. Burton will only continue to get better, hasnt even had a full year in the halves. Hes the future Nsw 6 for sure

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Different selection criteria and policies with both coach and players.

The interest is sky high in Qld for SOO and With NSW no where near as much...it means a lot more up here.
True. I saw Maroons colours everywhere in FNQ.

There seems to be more passion about the state than in NSW. Also seems to be a level of hatred toward NSW for some reason.

NSW doesn't resent other states to the same degree that other states resent NSW.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
True. I saw Maroons colours everywhere in FNQ.

There seems to be more passion about the state than in NSW. Also seems to be a level of hatred toward NSW for some reason.

NSW doesn't resent other states to the same degree that other states resent NSW.
Media and Qld league tapped into the very effective beat up of outrage and frustration of NSW playing Qld players in NSW teams prior to 1980 and constantly beating Qld (by some of their very own players).

If tables were turned prior to 1980 then NSW could have used the same battle cry to whip up the frenzy.

And why it will die if they open it up to Pacifica etc players IMO.

It's been the most successful marketing campaign in Australian history.

State versus State.

The rivalry is not a concern.... or thing... other than at SOO time :grinning: