Holland targets consistency.

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
The mid-season departure of Moses Mbye helped trigger a transformation in Bulldogs centre Kerrod Holland from fringe first grader to one of the form attacking centres of the NRLand, heading into 2019, Holland is hoping to pick up where he left off.

After half a season as a bench utility, the departure of Mbye and shift of Will Hopoate to fullback handed Holland a chance he grabbed with both hands, racking up six line breaks, six line break assists, five tries, three try assists, 30 busts and 22 offloads in just 10 starts at centre.

He averaged 100 metres per game after being promoted to the starting side by coach Dean Pay and his per-game line break involvement rate of 1.20 was the best of any centre.

The early stages of Holland's mid-season promotion didn't start promisingly; the centre was forthright in his criticism of his own form after a shock loss to Canberra at Belmore in round 17, in which he had a tough night against opposite number Jarrod Croker and the team conceded three late tries to lose from a seemingly unassailable position.

To his credit, he used that disappointment to turn things around and now believes that forgettable night could have been a turning point in his career.

"That Raiders game hurt a lot," Holland told NRL.com.

"I took a lot away from that game as you need to from losses, go back and evaluate each game, ask what more can I do. It paid off in the last six to 10 weeks where we had a couple of good performances there and hopefully we can build on that heading into 2019."

Holland is currently being frustrated by a stint in rehab following surgery on both ankles but is confident he will be running with teammates shortly after Christmas.

"I'm dying to get back out there – I've had off season surgery on both ankles. Arthroscope on both ankles and a little bit of bone removed from both ankles so I'm indoors at the minute," he said.
All the indoor cardio, bikes, rowers, hopefully it will only be a couple more weeks and I'll be back out there working on those combinations and pressing for a starting spot come round one.

"That was one of my goals last year, once I got into that team just to not give it away. I was guilty of it in '16 and '17, getting into the team then relaxing a little bit and going back out so I didn't want to do that again.

"Once I got my chance I didn't want to give it away so that's the same sort of motivation and goal that I've got for 19."

One of Holland's other goals is to play his 50th NRL game; it was a target he set himself when he made his debut in 2016 and it's one a surprisingly small proportion of NRL debutants manage.

With 46 caps to his name, Holland hopes that will come in round four so he can set his sights on bringing up a century in a couple of seasons.
I set myself 50 games when I first started out and I'm at 46 so I've got four to go. I'd like to get to 50 when we play Melbourne in round four, that's my first goal," he said.

"My ultimate goal is to play for the Blues – I realise that's a long way off but you've got to set the bar high for yourself and give yourself something to work towards. It's something I'd like to aspire to.

"You see the likes of Latrell Mitchell and how talented they are. I'm probably not that talented by any stretch of the imagination but I can make it up elsewhere and that's what I'm going to work towards in 2019 and work the way Deano wants us to play.

"Hopefully I can put in a couple of good performances at the start of the year not the back of the year so we're there playing finals football."

Holland knows even an NRL start come round one is no guarantee despite the departures of the Morris twins, given the additions of Nick Meaney (Knights) and Christian Crichton (Panthers) to the backline with Will Hopoate set to return to the centres.
It's interesting at the moment and creating good competition for spots," Holland added.

"That was one thing Deano said to us at the start when he brought those guys in, it's going to bring more competition and that's what we're after.

"It gets the best out of everyone and what we're doing in the pre-season, there's competition there day in day out so by the time round one comes we'll be hitting our straps and ready to go.

"Foz (Kieran Foran) is coming back from injury as well and he's looking unreal, he hasn't missed a session yet then guys like Corey (Harawira-Naera), Dylan Napa's just joined us, Christian Crichton, Nick Meaney and Jack Cogger all pushing for spots. It's going to be really exciting for us in 2019."

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuk. He better work on his defence in the pre season.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The GOAT Holland is our biggest attacking threat. Done more with the ball than any of our other centres in recent years. Hopefully our defensive system is sorted on the right edge and he makes individual improvements. Without a doubt need to keep him and Smith together because I can't think of the last time we had a good centre/wing combo going.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The GOAT Holland is our biggest attacking threat. Done more with the ball than any of our other centres in recent years. Hopefully our defensive system is sorted on the right edge and he makes individual improvements. Without a doubt need to keep him and Smith together because I can't think of the last time we had a good centre/wing combo going.
at least we agree on something.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im still not sold. I have fingers crossed as i love winning and he seems like a decent bloke. Just have to wait and see i suppose. Hes been inconsistent for quite a while now. That has to stop and he needs to play most games like them last half dozen.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
After that game vs Canberra where he got burnt 100 times by Croker I thought he was done as a first grader. But we haven’t had a decent attacking pair like him and smith since Morris and Goodwin in 09

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He defiantly deserves first crack on his end to last season and its not like we have plenty of options in that position.

Fingers crossed the surgeries don't affect him to much.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Great attacker just needs to work harder on defence

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
After that game vs Canberra where he got burnt 100 times by Croker I thought he was done as a first grader. But we haven’t had a decent attacking pair like him and smith since Morris and Goodwin in 09
Agree it was a poor game. However he busted his shoulder in that game and there was no one to replace him so they persevered.
He offers more than the alternative centres, so he is the first one picked. I still have serious reservations about Hopoate as a centre.
He has been tried there and was an abject failure. However he will get the gig and hope he improves.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even under Hasler I didn’t mind holland. He seems to know how to cross the line which is what you want from a centre. He is also quite an intelligent person. Holland will do well this year

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nsw blues! Haha no chance
Defense is shit house and Remis Smith made him look good.
Everyone blowing their loads after a few games like they did with Lichaa.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nsw blues! Haha no chance
Defense is shit house and Remis Smith made him look good.
Everyone blowing their loads after a few games like they did with Lichaa.
Holland and Smith compliment each other. Smith is a gun no doubt, but a lot of his good work came off of Holland.... Dean and co will help him get his defence up to scratch... Hoppa wasn't exactly defending the house down in the position either.

sheep dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Even under Hasler I didn’t mind holland. He seems to know how to cross the line which is what you want from a centre. He is also quite an intelligent person. Holland will do well this year
He also bleeds blue and white the true dogs spirit

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He will have a big year like all of our boys,it’s ealry doors but very optimistic to start the season, he is growing in confidence and will bring some great attack in 2019.. not long to go now lol can’t fuckikg wait to see if the ones who have spoken can walk the walk...!!

GO THE DOGGIES

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Croker is a pretty good elusive centre. Plenty of opponents have been outclassed by him. If I could recruit one player for our backline Croker would be among the people I'd have to consider. So it's harsh that so many supporters judge Holland on that one game.

I know Holland has some improvement to do. But he sounds like he's going to work on it. And I think the best is yet to come from him.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Croker is a pretty good elusive centre. Plenty of opponents have been outclassed by him. If I could recruit one player for our backline Croker would be among the people I'd have to consider. So it's harsh that so many supporters judge Holland on that one game.

I know Holland has some improvement to do. But he sounds like he's going to work on it. And I think the best is yet to come from him.
Croker is one of the most underrated guys in the game... I remember rocking up to Belmore in 2016 and the bastard was all over us :weary: good call

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Croker is one of the most underrated guys in the game... I remember rocking up to Belmore in 2016 and the bastard was all over us :weary: good call
I honestly can't remember a game against us when Croker hasn't embarrassed his opponent to some extent. He probably should have been picked for more rep teams.