Holdsworth Facing His Acid Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holdsworth Facing His Acid Test
Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 2:40 PM

While the Bulldogs formidable forward pack attracts the Lions share of attention ahead of the first preliminary final against Brisbane it’s allowed one of the less experienced players to escape the spot light ahead of the toughest test of his career.

Not only is five eighth Daniel Holdsworth in his first season at the club but it’s his first full season of first grade and this week he lines up against a current legend in the game.

Holdsworth arrived at Belmore after only 6 first grade games during his two seasons with St.George Illawarra and he says he’s looking forward to his personal battle with current Australian, Queensland and Brisbane captain Darren Lockyer.

“He’s probably the best five eighth going around at the moment, him and Barrett so it’s going to be a big test.”

Holdsworth left the Dragons at the end of last season due to a lack of opportunity behind Trent Barrett. He saw a chance to play behind the feared Bulldogs pack when Braith Anasta switched to the Roosters.

“That was my plan. I came here because I wanted to play first grade. Folksey (Bulldogs Coach Steve Folkes) gave me the opportunity so I’m very grateful.”

Holdsworth is enjoying his first finals series and after the week off he can’t wait to mix it with the Broncos.

“They’re going good at the moment. Everyone expected it they have one of the best teams so I always knew they were going to be up there.

They looked pretty impressive it’s going to be a big game.”

Holdsworth and halfback Brent Sherwin have enjoyed their opportunities in the finals so far thanks to the Bulldogs forward domination and the 22-year-old says they’re primed for a big performance.

“Our pack’s unreal but they’ve got a big pack too and they’ve got over us the last couple of times we’ve played them so the boys will be looking to make amends.”

The Broncos have won both encounters between the teams this season 25-6 in round 12 and 30 nil in round 24 and Holdsworth says after the number of injuries to key players they suffered in the 30 point loss at Telstra Stadium they’re due some good fortune.

“I hope so you always need some luck in games like these and last time we didn’t have a bench.

I think they only scored 6 points on us in that second half and we only had the 13 players for the whole 40 minutes so we’ll be looking to get out there and rip in.”

Bulldogs prop Mark O’Meley has taken both of those defeats personally and Holdsworth says he’s slowing building up for the challenge of the in form Broncos pack.

“He just loves it. That’s what he plays for he just loves ripping in and the bigger the test, the better he goes. We need him to be firing.”

The Bulldogs have declared the theory teams are flat after a week off a “myth” and Holdsworth says they know what to do to match it with the red hot Broncos.

“Preparation’s the key. We have to do everything right with no short cuts.”

The team is refreshed and in high spirits from the break and Holdsworth says Willie Mason has kept them all entertained describing his left foot grubber kick and chase against the Raiders trapping Clinton Schifcofske in goal and threatening more tricks from his bag.

“He’s been talking about that all week and he’s always trying drop outs or 40-20’s. Yeah he can be pretty scary.”

Source: NRL
www.nrl.com

PeaKer

Origin Rep
Reaction score
hahaha - can you imagine Mason winning us the game with a field goal...

Nate

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last two games we played against the Broncos they seemed to put a lot of pressure on Holdsworth and tried to isolate him. Hopefully he can take it all tomorrow and defend and attack well like he has been doing all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.