Holdsworth - Buy of the Year (article)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Buy of the year - Daniel Holdsworth is on $50,000. Braith Anasta was paid $455,000. The Bulldogs have not missed him
By DAVID RICCIO

BULLDOGS five-eighth Daniel Holdsworth has been tagged the buy of the season after successfully stepping out of the shadow of Braith Anasta. "I haven't seen him [Holdsworth] play a bad game,'' Canterbury legend Steve Mortimer said. "I'm sure that Steve Folkes would be smiling because they have got a good buy, if not one of the buys of the year.'' Holdsworth's $50,000 two-year deal fails to compare with that of his wealthy predecessor, Braith Anasta.

Anasta, who is struggling for form at the Roosters, demanded $455,000 last year at the Bulldogs. Holdsworth, 22, joined the Bulldogs from St George Illawarra with just six NRL games on his portfolio. Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad said Holdsworth was lured to the club with an "opportunity contract''.

"He came for an opportunity and has fitted in just so well,'' Noad said. "I don't think there are too many other players who have played as consistently as he has in their first year with another club. 'I think there was a high expectation of him from supporters when he came here, but he has filled the shoes adequately.

"We felt that on the basis that Braith was moving on, we felt that he was the best option and I think he has proven to be so.'' Holdsworth said any comparison with he and Anasta was unjustified. "My first dozen interviews were about Braith,'' he said. "Everyone was asking what he's doing. But really, how would I know? "I never compared myself to Braith. I'd played six first grade games before I came here and he has played for NSW and Australia. "I knew there would be comparisons thrown at me, but I never took it on board.''

Holdsworth said his switch to Belmore from the Dragons was an easy decision to make. "It wasn't a tough call at all,'' Holdsworth said. "I was coming off contract and I had a good chat to Browny [Dragons coach Nathan Brown] and he said that Baz [Trent Barrett] would be there long term. "He thought, for my benefit, it was best for me to move on and have a crack here. I couldn't be happier at the moment. I've never been more comfortable with where I'm at with my footy." "It was my dream to play first grade and I'm doing it at the moment with a great bunch of blokes, so I can't complain.''

Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes was responsible for scouting Holdsworth and was delighted to bring him to Belmore. "I had a couple of meetings with him before we signed him and he seemed like a confident kid,'' Folkes said. "The other players have certainly respected what he's doing. He's only young. People forget he'd only played half a dozen first grade games before this. He's been getting more consistent as the team's getting better. So far, I've been pretty happy with him.''

Noad said Holdsworth's outstanding form for the Bulldogs would see the club extend his contract. 'We've got him here for at least another year and I'd think we would be talking sooner rather than later about extending his contract.''

M

MrCharisma

Go The Bulldogs

**** Yah

I'm Fired Up

Bring It On Warriors!!!!!!

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
Brissy Bulldog said:
Buy of the year - Daniel Holdsworth is on $50,000. Braith Anasta was paid $455,000. The Bulldogs have not missed him
Aint that the truth! Understatement of the year LOL

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
woohoo

holdsworth is getting better every game. true wat mortimer said. Not one shocker this year

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was just thinking last night, it feel so damn good to see DJ Improving every week, and seeing Braith doing nothing week in week out!!

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Brissy Bulldog said:
Noad said Holdsworth's outstanding form for the Bulldogs would see the club extend his contract. 'We've got him here for at least another year and I'd think we would be talking sooner rather than later about extending his contract.''
Yes Sir *salutes*

D

DJ ALMO

DJ is a wonderful player and i do realy think he has been the best buy for bulldogs he gives them this style of play that is so good and cause so much oportunities Braith Anasta was realy my favourite player before DJ came here he is just a wonderful player to watch

H

Haztrick

DJ is a great play and will play for Australia in the next 6 years or so *touchwood*

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pfft Trent Barret is there for the long term?
If Mortimer says hes the best buy of the year then it has to be true. Im expecting a blinder from him today after reading that article. Btw everything said there was true:p

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
I'm proud we've got this guy. He is improving every single week ffs. He has it all over Braith tbh :P...He definitely is one of the buys of the season. I'm pumped up about this game today. Holdsworth for man of the match verse the warriors. Go hard...

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

daniel has fitted into the style we play so it is all good.

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
He backed this article up today to be quite honest. Good on you Daniel. Haha..He's got it all over Anasta tbh..

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
he was great for us today, and i can see an improvement as the games progress..

Cordz316

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
dont forgot he was personally hand picked by folkes !!!!

on ya folkes

IN FOLKES WE TRUST !!

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
it will be interesting to see how he plays for his old club next week..
im expecting him to have another great game next week..

PHELPSY

DEEEEEEBO
Reaction score
yea i wonder how he will go against the dragons. hope he has a big game!! fire up Holdsworth!! fire up dog!! bring on the dragons!

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
He will show Barrett that he's a stooge, and that he has always been the better 5/8th ffs. With the lack of 5/8ths for NSW, Holdsworth may see himself playing in the skyblue jumper sooner than he thinks. Clearly, he will step all over 'Baz', or '***' or whatever you want to call him..

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
W.A Doesn't have an Origin side ffs now does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.