Cricket Holding criticises England and Australia for not taking a knee

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Holding criticises England and Australia for not taking a knee

(Reuters) - Former West Indies fast bowler Michael Holding has criticised England and Australia for not taking a knee in support of the "Black Lives Matter" movement during their ongoing limited-overs series.

England wore "Black Lives Matter" logos on their shirts during their test series against West Indies and took the knee to protest against racism, but opted not to continue the practice in subsequent series against Pakistan and Australia.

"Now that the West Indies team has gone home, that doesn't mean that you still shouldn't be respecting the message and what it stands for," Holding told Sky Sports.

"Yes, (racism) is more acute in the United States than in most other places but people around the entire world took on the mantle of spreading the word and getting this message out that it is time for equality and time for equal justice.

"It was no longer just a black versus white thing... so for Pakistan and England not to then take that signal... neither team did it and the ECB came out with a pretty lame statement, as far as I am concerned."

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said in response that it was committed to "long-term and sustainable change" and had launched "initiatives that focus on eliminating discrimination from all areas of cricket."

Before the current series began, Australia skipper Aaron Finch said his team would not take the knee because "education is more important than the protest."

Holding disagreed with Finch, saying that raising awareness and education were both important tools in the fight for equality.

"(Finch) is saying that he's glad he is part of a sport where no one is barred from playing, irrespective of your race, your gender, your ethnicity, your religion," Holding added.

"Well, I don't know any sport where anyone is barred from playing because of anything at all. So that's a pretty lame statement.

"I'm not here to try to force people to do what they do not want to do. If you think you do not need to sympathise with and recognise the movement, just say that. Don't come up with lame excuses."

Former West Indies skipper Daren Sammy has also spoken out in favour of equality, urging cricket's governing bodies to treat racism more seriously and pay it the same attention they give to upholding the integrity of the game.

Last edited:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I appreciate that Holding is anti-racism (most people are) but he has no idea what the BLM movement is all about. He has no idea that this is a Marxist movement that is using rich white kids as pawns to strike fear into the US population at election time. He has no idea that the "BLM" movement otherwise known as Bashings, Lootings, Murder comes out every 4 years about this time (Google searches prove this) to coincide with the US Presidential elections. He has no idea that almost all the proceeds from people donating to this "cause" are going to the Democrat Party (Via ActBlue) & without this money the Democrats would be broke.

He was a World Class (all time great) fast bowler, but with this he is a giant douche on the Greta level.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s a personal choice. It’s hardly raising awareness or educating people. Pretty sure most people know racial discrimination or any prejudices based on race, religion .sex or sexuality aren’t acceptable. Attitudes have changed, Society has changed. The fact that if a white person calls someone of race “ a black so and so or an Asian whatever” They are almost always sacked at work or could end up in jail , reflect that.
Black lives matter, all lives matter. The George Floyd killing was definitely a gross abuse of power and abhorrent ,policing. But it didn’t seem racially motivated. It doesn’t matter what colour you are ,you get arrested if you’re suspected and or get reported for crime. Crime is always more prevalent in lower socioeconomic area’s. That’s why crime rates are higher and there are more courts in these areas .It’s not an exaggeration to say the more money you have to more justice you get. I’d say that would be widely a accepted and fairly accurate view.
The black lives matter movement does as much for divisiveness as it does for equality particularly when People like Michael Holding are criticising those who don’t have the same amount of passion in a
cause he feels strongly about. Or Trying to publicly shame sports people who don’t or won’t use sports arena as political arena like they are white supremacists or trying to promote racism only serves to alienate people from a cause they would no doubt agree with and support whilst standing.

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score

(Reuters) - Former West Indies fast bowler Michael Holding has criticised England and Australia for not taking a knee in support of the "Black Lives Matter" movement during their ongoing limited-overs series.

England wore "Black Lives Matter" logos on their shirts during their test series against West Indies and took the knee to protest against racism, but opted not to continue the practice in subsequent series against Pakistan and Australia.

"Now that the West Indies team has gone home, that doesn't mean that you still shouldn't be respecting the message and what it stands for," Holding told Sky Sports.

"Yes, (racism) is more acute in the United States than in most other places but people around the entire world took on the mantle of spreading the word and getting this message out that it is time for equality and time for equal justice.

"It was no longer just a black versus white thing... so for Pakistan and England not to then take that signal... neither team did it and the ECB came out with a pretty lame statement, as far as I am concerned."

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said in response that it was committed to "long-term and sustainable change" and had launched "initiatives that focus on eliminating discrimination from all areas of cricket."

Before the current series began, Australia skipper Aaron Finch said his team would not take the knee because "education is more important than the protest."

Holding disagreed with Finch, saying that raising awareness and education were both important tools in the fight for equality.

"(Finch) is saying that he's glad he is part of a sport where no one is barred from playing, irrespective of your race, your gender, your ethnicity, your religion," Holding added.

"Well, I don't know any sport where anyone is barred from playing because of anything at all. So that's a pretty lame statement.

"I'm not here to try to force people to do what they do not want to do. If you think you do not need to sympathise with and recognise the movement, just say that. Don't come up with lame excuses."

Former West Indies skipper Daren Sammy has also spoken out in favour of equality, urging cricket's governing bodies to treat racism more seriously and pay it the same attention they give to upholding the integrity of the game.

It should be all lives matter I think it's a movement that's a bit one sided

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Holding seems like someone who is trying to stay relevant. I'm not really a follower of cricket. If Holding was one of two strangers in a room you'd have to point out which one he was to me. So I don't know him or what he's like.

But quite often sportsmen and women retire from the job that's their only tenuous link to fame and miss the limelight. I might be off track here, but I'm guessing that he's a rent a quote type.

I think that like politics and religion, protesting is not something you should have forced upon you. I compare this with the Aboriginal league players that wouldn't sing the anthem. I personally think it is a pointless protest, it doesn't make me racist. But my point of view comes from where my feet have walked. I don't begrudge the players their right to protest in their own way.

So in this case, I think it's a bit of an attention seeking move to be critical of another group of people for not feeling the need to go to the same lengths to protest something they don't feel as passionate about.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There should be a mandatory 8 hour pre-game awareness period for every sport around the world that covers everything from BLM, The Homeless, The Starving, World Peace, Domestic Violance, Murder victims, the death of COVID victims etc.

Why pick only one?

Just in case people don't catch the sarcasm, sport should always be seperate from politics or anything else other than the sport itself. The whole point of sport is to switch off from the real world and pretend for 80min that the world is actually a happy place.

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holding seems like someone who is trying to stay relevant. I'm not really a follower of cricket. If Holding was one of two strangers in a room you'd have to point out which one he was to me. So I don't know him or what he's like.

But quite often sportsmen and women retire from the job that's their only tenuous link to fame and miss the limelight. I might be off track here, but I'm guessing that he's a rent a quote type.

I think that like politics and religion, protesting is not something you should have forced upon you. I compare this with the Aboriginal league players that wouldn't sing the anthem. I personally think it is a pointless protest, it doesn't make me racist. But my point of view comes from where my feet have walked. I don't begrudge the players their right to protest in their own way.

So in this case, I think it's a bit of an attention seeking move to be critical of another group of people for not feeling the need to go to the same lengths to protest something they don't feel as passionate about.
Holding is such a boring person in real life. Literally the only subject he can stay engaged in a conversation is gambling. His opinions on other topics are a regurgitation of other people’s thoughts.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Holding is such a boring person in real life. Literally the only subject he can stay engaged in a conversation is gambling. His opinions on other topics are a regurgitation of other people’s thoughts.
I honestly hadn't heard of him before this thread. I don't mind watching two minute clips of cricket highlights. If I'm in a room where someone is watching cricket I'm about as attentive as a 14yo would be to a lawn bowls tournament. So I wouldn't have known who he was otherwise.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score

Really finchy? Don’t see any Black fellas playing for Australia!?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
It should be all lives matter I think it's a movement that's a bit one sided
white lives mattering is not an issue because everyone knows white lives already matter, so black lives matter is about putting the black lives into that same matter category

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
white lives mattering is not an issue because everyone knows white lives already matter, so black lives matter is about putting the black lives into that same matter category
White people are being persecuted in different parts of the world, as we speak. Who is defending them? Movements based on reductionist reasoning are only designed to divide and fragment the population, not to unite.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
White people are being persecuted in different parts of the world, as we speak. Who is defending them? Movements based on reductionist reasoning are only designed to divide and fragment the population, not to unite.
the only reason it divides the population is because some people think black lives dont matter and they are divided from the normal people, they even fought a civil war for that reason

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the only reason it divides the population is because some people think black lives dont matter and they are divided from the normal people, they even fought a civil war for that reason
BLM is a worldwide movement. The movement, as noble and righteous as it is in its literal meaning, has been hijacked by other people seeking to promote their own political agenda.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
BLM is a worldwide movement. The movement, as noble and righteous as it is in its literal meaning, has been hijacked by other people seeking to promote their own political agenda.
even if this is true you still should be more concerned about whoever would be divided by the black lives matter message

these are the people who really hate black people, the kind of people who would fight an actual civil war to keep them slaves, the kind of people who would lynch black people, the kind of people to be so pissed off about a black president that they formed a tea party political party and voted in trump because he was the most visibly opposed to obama, then storm the government building waving the flag of the previously mentioned civil war faction who tried to keep black people as slaves

those people have an agenda too and thats why trump was so popular with them, make america great again is codeword for america was great when there was slavery and we should bring it back

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Really finchy? Don’t see any Black fellas playing for Australia!?
Are there any you could name that are good enough? I don't think any players at least in my time have been left out because they were black, but if you could name one or some, let me know.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
It’s never been inclusive... it’s a white yobbo sport in this country

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
It’s never been inclusive... it’s a white yobbo sport in this country
Andrew Symons? Merv Hughes is part Aboriginal too IIRC.
Cricket doesn't seem to be a sport played very often by Aboriginal kids, unlike footy, rugby, basketball etc. Probably explains their low representation rates amongst elite cricket teams more so than due to racism.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Andrew Symons? Merv Hughes is part Aboriginal too IIRC.
Cricket doesn't seem to be a sport played very often by Aboriginal kids, unlike footy, rugby, basketball etc. Probably explains their low representation rates amongst elite cricket teams more so than due to racism.
Australian cricket has never made it inclusive enough...they don’t welcome or pursue it like other codes. It’s a shame as they are natural athletes.