News Hetherington looks to Napa in bid to curb tackling technique

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hetherington looks to Napa in bid to curb tackling technique

Jack Hetherington may have arrived at Belmore with a shocking judiciary record but the club's newest enforcer only has to look to Dylan Napa in his quest to get a grip on controlling his aggression.

Hetherington's introduction to first grade across three seasons has been far from smooth sailing with a four-week ban for a high tackle on Martin Taupau his fifth layoff since making his NRL debut in 2018.

Napa has fought his own battles with discipline in the past but has always maintained the need to remain aggressive with his game.

It's a line no player tries to cross but, for a laid-back country bloke who hailed from Newcastle before moving to Young, Hetherington has always been open about the need to change his game.

A pre-season focus alongside Bulldogs assistant coach David Furner, for example, has him tackling players "lower" whilst under fatigue.

"How I play is no different to any other front-rower but I've just got a few technical issues I need to sort out," Hetherington told NRL.com.

"Once I get that I'll get some more games under my belt. Dylan's a great player, I used to look up to him as a young bloke coming through.

"I'm looking forward to playing alongside him but I want to go about my own sort of business."

Napa missed the club's trial game against the Sharks but will be available for Friday's season opener against the Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium in Newcastle.

Hetherington started in Napa's absence during the trial win and is hoping to have his name read out next to the Maroons representative with Aiden Tolman's vacant No.8 jersey up for grabs on Tuesday.

"I'm just waiting to see whether I'll be coming off the bench or starting but either way we've had a great pre-season and I'm excited," Hetherington said.

"Baz gives us a very clear job to do and if we do that we're confident of coming away with the win.

"I've just got to do my role and the best I can, that's all I need to do."

Canterbury's new-look side will go into the clash as underdogs but have had the clear wood over the Knights since 2014.

Aside from a 22-10 loss in 2019, they've won eight of their past nine clashes, including the past five in Newcastle – a streak that dates back to 2014.

"Every team is a big test and pretty classy, the Knights are no different up there," Hetherington said.

"It's always important to start a season well and we're all fit and confident."

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hetherington looks to Napa in bid to curb tackling technique

Jack Hetherington may have arrived at Belmore with a shocking judiciary record but the club's newest enforcer only has to look to Dylan Napa in his quest to get a grip on controlling his aggression.

Hetherington's introduction to first grade across three seasons has been far from smooth sailing with a four-week ban for a high tackle on Martin Taupau his fifth layoff since making his NRL debut in 2018.

Napa has fought his own battles with discipline in the past but has always maintained the need to remain aggressive with his game.

It's a line no player tries to cross but, for a laid-back country bloke who hailed from Newcastle before moving to Young, Hetherington has always been open about the need to change his game.

A pre-season focus alongside Bulldogs assistant coach David Furner, for example, has him tackling players "lower" whilst under fatigue.

"How I play is no different to any other front-rower but I've just got a few technical issues I need to sort out," Hetherington told NRL.com.

"Once I get that I'll get some more games under my belt. Dylan's a great player, I used to look up to him as a young bloke coming through.

"I'm looking forward to playing alongside him but I want to go about my own sort of business."

Napa missed the club's trial game against the Sharks but will be available for Friday's season opener against the Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium in Newcastle.

Hetherington started in Napa's absence during the trial win and is hoping to have his name read out next to the Maroons representative with Aiden Tolman's vacant No.8 jersey up for grabs on Tuesday.

"I'm just waiting to see whether I'll be coming off the bench or starting but either way we've had a great pre-season and I'm excited," Hetherington said.

"Baz gives us a very clear job to do and if we do that we're confident of coming away with the win.

"I've just got to do my role and the best I can, that's all I need to do."

Canterbury's new-look side will go into the clash as underdogs but have had the clear wood over the Knights since 2014.

Aside from a 22-10 loss in 2019, they've won eight of their past nine clashes, including the past five in Newcastle – a streak that dates back to 2014.

"Every team is a big test and pretty classy, the Knights are no different up there," Hetherington said.

"It's always important to start a season well and we're all fit and confident."

This has to be a STITCH :grinning:

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of all people to look for inspiration to lol!

No wonder Napa's technique is so good! The cat doesn't do anything!