Hetherington - Front Row or Back Row

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With Vaughan as the alpha prop replacing Napa who didn't even rate as an omicron prop, Thompson will operate very successfully as the running prop as he did at St Helens with Walmsley as the alpha prop. That's why signing Vaughan was very important and if he does the job in 2022 then he will be here for a long time, his age not withstanding.

Always a Bulldog
That is another reason why I said lock, he moves away from the heavy duties a prop needs to do, at times he seems ineffective there.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
That is another reason why I said lock, he moves away from the heavy duties a prop needs to do, at times he seems ineffective there.
what TT is saying and he is correct, vaughn will take the tough carry and then Thompson plays off the back of that. I dont see Thompson as a ball playing lock so prop is his best position. Jackson can evolve into a ball playing lock imo, Thompson would be wasted in that role.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hard training will fix that
It's more his defensive technique and high tackles that I'm worried about. The longer minutes he plays, the more he's at risk of bad tackles. His fitness is good but until he corrects his technique and tackles lower, he'll always have those issues.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's more his defensive technique and high tackles that I'm worried about. The longer minutes he plays, the more he's at risk of bad tackles. His fitness is good but until he corrects his technique and tackles lower, he'll always have those issues.
playing on an edge will help, middles always tackle around the ball and this is where sometimes Jack can be a little high if he doesnt dip into the tackle. On an edge there is the combination of around the ball tackles and legs tackles depending on the situation.

Reactions: ATT

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In my opinion you need four middles. And that’s Thompson, Vaughan,TPJ and the fourth unsure?
Leave Jack develop his game in the back row.
if you loose one middle sent or injured you could push him up front in a emergency.
remember the Riff used TPJ of the bench and in my opinion was more effective than his been at the Broncs. There is these days little difference between starting as long as in the 17

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That defensive technique needs fixing even if he is playing handball :-)

Last edited:

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
i would play him in the 2nd row. He has the pace to run good lines out wide and cause the opposing centre some problems.

i will say however that in the last 20 minutes of a game the pace of a game can be very frenetic. As such there are good reasons to have only one big bopper on the park, particularly if we are in the lead. Having someone Who is more mobile than huge as the 2nd prop can be a good strategy if the interchange circumstances allow for it.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i would play him in the 2nd row. He has the pace to run good lines out wide and cause the opposing centre some problems.

i will say however that in the last 20 minutes of a game the pace of a game can be very frenetic. As such there are good reasons to have only one big bopper on the park, particularly if we are in the lead. Having someone Who is more mobile than huge as the 2nd prop can be a good strategy if the interchange circumstances allow for it.
That's where TBaz comes in

Last edited:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In my opinion you need four middles. And that’s Thompson, Vaughan,TPJ and the fourth unsure?
Leave Jack develop his game in the back row.
if you loose one middle sent or injured you could push him up front in a emergency.
remember the Riff used TPJ of the bench and in my opinion was more effective than his been at the Broncs. There is these days little difference between starting as long as in the 17
Still in development but hopefully young Patolo can become no 4 this season, Ava for backup.
Someone else asked the question did Mavoni Tuafua disappear/not cut it?

Reactions: ATT

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
playing on an edge will help, middles always tackle around the ball and this is where sometimes Jack can be a little high if he doesnt dip into the tackle. On an edge there is the combination of around the ball tackles and legs tackles depending on the situation.
The natural speed of the game and fatigue are a hazardous combination for a big man.

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Correct mate. That’s the beauty of the game, because not all coaches see the game the same way.
It becomes ugly and scary when the coach wants the team to fly under the radar...
All the time :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Hopefully it will soon be a forgotten past !

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally can see big Jack excelling in the second row. He is big and mobile and would be devastating running wide. Jack on one side and TPJ on the other.
Getting him out of the middle will also help with his brain explosions to a point.
What do you lot think?
I can see him being hot and cold on the edge. He is that type of player who will always have brain explosions on one hand and make a big play on the next.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Can't believe I'm commenting on "guns"...but Jacko's are better and much more defined.
Marley have you got a poster(or screensaver)of Jake? I'm worried..
Do you want to touch them? :|

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He looks awesome in the backrow and less issues as more time

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bang up the middle full noise, just how he likes it.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion Thompson's running style is more suited to lock
The only reason he will not be there is Jackson isn't suited anywhere else
I totall agree that Thompson would make a great lock, however JJ has to be in the team and IMO his only position these days is at lock, to do all the clean up tackling jobs.