Hetherington - Front Row or Back Row

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I totall agree that Thompson would make a great lock, however JJ has to be in the team and IMO his only position these days is at lock, to do all the clean up tackling jobs.
Hopefully Jako will offer more than just tackling now with a better team around him.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer the thread topic.....

4th row...... bay 45
In amongst all the other suspended and injured players...

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I personally can see big Jack excelling in the second row. He is big and mobile and would be devastating running wide. Jack on one side and TPJ on the other.
Getting him out of the middle will also help with his brain explosions to a point.
What do you lot think?
Watched him closely last year. He's never been comfortable simply rucking the ball up. His metre stats are woeful compared to most other front rowers....so clearly he's either lazy and unfit or front row isn't his dish. I think the latter as he was explosive running a support play out wider in the games he played 2nd row.
So I'm hoping he gets a regular shot in the 2nd row this next year.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd like to see all our second rowers with some pace. Hetherington and Thompson both got that bill. I think Hetherington is still a bit light for the front row these days. The best front rowers tend to be pretty bulky through the waist as opposed to tall beanpole types. Not saying Hetherington is waif like but he's not the same body type as a civoniceva etc, who tend to be dominant props.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
In the era of the set restart I believe having 2 hulking props is over, one plus a running prop is the new black. Vaughan plus Thompson with Ava, TPJ and Hetherington able to step into the prop position during the game if required or off the bench. That's a pretty potent front row rotation.

Always a Bulldog

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would play Hetho & TPJ to tag team and share the same role.

One starting on the bench. They can both play middle or on edge.

Both have a 50-60minutes in them. If Baz can get the right mix between these two it could be a potent left edge.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back rower. To me that’s clear.
It’s Thompson and TPJ’s positions I’m not sure about.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watched him closely last year. He's never been comfortable simply rucking the ball up. His metre stats are woeful compared to most other front rowers....so clearly he's either lazy and unfit or front row isn't his dish. I think the latter as he was explosive running a support play out wider in the games he played 2nd row.
So I'm hoping he gets a regular shot in the 2nd row this next year.
I'd like to see all our second rowers with some pace. Hetherington and Thompson both got that bill. I think Hetherington is still a bit light for the front row these days. The best front rowers tend to be pretty bulky through the waist as opposed to tall beanpole types. Not saying Hetherington is waif like but he's not the same body type as a civoniceva etc, who tend to be dominant props.
Totally agree with both posts, by far his best game last year was while playing on one edge, a board member I spoke to also felt strongly about it, so lets hope Barret at least considers it.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Should get a crack there it's were Gus thinks he is suited too, with Vaughan on deck and young Patolo there are enough suitable other options also Ava.
RFM could also maybe re-earn some credits, provide some grunt running through the middle off the bench when and if fit..another option anyway and owes the club.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally can see big Jack excelling in the second row. He is big and mobile and would be devastating running wide. Jack on one side and TPJ on the other.
Getting him out of the middle will also help with his brain explosions to a point.
What do you lot think?
Attack wise no issue at all. I think he is really suited out wide.

Defensively remains to be seen. Defending out wide is much harder than defending in the middle as you have to make decisions under fatigue like when to come in, when to stay out, read the decoy runners etc. Jack may well be able to handle it, but I would like to see it consistently for a few games before being convinced that second row is his spot

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hetherington was absolutely killing it late in the season in second row. With more capable wingers and centres outside him, could cause a lot of damage and become one of the games leading second rowers.

I'll probably miss players here but:
11/12. Hetho on one side, with RFM/Topine/Doorey/Stimson replacing him when he takes a breather.
11/12. TPJ on the other side, with Kikau replacing him (2023), when he takes a breather.
8/10. Vaughan and Thompson at prop, with Max King and Ava Seumanufagai off the bench to replace them.
9. JMK, Cook, BBO duking it out this season for a spot alongside Mahoney in 2023.
13. Jackson most likely to play lock, possibly with Topine coming off the bench to cover for him?

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To alleviate the obvious lack of talent in the front row (except Vaughn), it is necessary for Patolo,
and/or Seumanafagai to step up another level. That will allow Hetherington to be a bench forward,
with TPJ and Thompson in the back row. Jackson can only play lock.
I would like to see Cook as nine, as he can run and has a good offload, which will suit Thompson and TPJ
running off him.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
To alleviate the obvious lack of talent in the front row (except Vaughn), it is necessary for Patolo,
and/or Seumanafagai to step up another level. That will allow Hetherington to be a bench forward,
with TPJ and Thompson in the back row. Jackson can only play lock.
I would like to see Cook as nine, as he can run and has a good offload, which will suit Thompson and TPJ
running off him.
are you on speed speedy? Thompson will only be playing middle this year, Hetherington will be on a edge.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
are you on speed speedy? Thompson will only be playing middle this year, Hetherington will be on a edge.
Its quite likely that Thompson may play as a prop. But not because it's his best position,
it's because of the dearth of capable front rowers. His best asset is his speed, his defence, his backing up, and running on to a ball.
He is about 102kgs which is small compared to good front rowers. He is Tolman size.
He will go OK as a prop if needed, but it is a waste of his footy ability. I have faith in BAZ and I hope he can see that.