• Hero Dad

• Bully

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...imself/ar-AAwtspk?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout

^ Video - click link above ^

I wanted to belittle him': Hero dad or a bully himself?

The Australian father caught on camera violently attacking a teenage boy he believed was bullying his daughter has broken his silence.

In an exclusive interview, Brisbane man Mark Bladen, 53, told 60 Minutes reporter Liz Hayes that despite having regrets for his aggressive actions, he was “suckered in” and felt forced to defend his tormented stepdaughter.

Bladen’s teenage step-daughter Kalani had become the subject of a torrent of deeply personal taunts not only in the school yard and out socially, but consistently via social media.

“[I was] insulted about my body hair,” she told Hayes.

“Called names like gorilla.”

For more than six months Kalani endured the nastiest of comments, and she says, was pushed and spat on.

And with each new attack, her parents’ anger grew.

One afternoon a distraught Kalani called her stepfather in tears.

Mr Bladen says it was then he decided he couldn’t stand by and watch any longer.

“I just went over there to give him a good old fashioned talking to,” Mr Bladen told Hayes.

“I wanted to belittle him in front of his friends, the same way he always did with Kalani.”

Mr Bladen was filmed unleashing an aggressive verbal tirade on the teen.

He told 60 Minutes he had every intention to leave until he felt “provoked.”

“He smiled at me,” Mr Bladen said.

“And I warned him. I said, ‘You’d better wipe that smile off your face,’ and he just kept smiling.

“The next thing I knew my hands were around his neck.”

When questioned on whether throttling the boy who was young enough to be his son in turned made him a bully, Mr Bladen told Hayes: “I don't know if I would call it being the bully. It was a kind of a one-off incident, and I regretted it straight away.”

“So, I wouldn't say I was a bully. I would say that I was out of order,” he said.

The bullying has since stopped but in March, Mr Bladen pleaded guilty to one count of assault occasioning bodily harm in Brisbane Magistrates Court.

He was fined $1000 but no criminal conviction was recorded.

But as Hayes revealed, in the court of public opinion Mr Bladen was hailed a hero.

For many parents, Mr Bladen’s story has pierced the heart of the complex and difficult issue.

In Australia alone, one in five children have been victims of bullying.

And with new technology and social media allowing what were once schoolyard taunts to follow victims home, the dilemma of how parents can protect their children continues to go unanswered.

Revealing another side to our national bullying crisis were Michelle and Quentin Pearson, who opened up to Hayes on their late son, Kodi.

Just two years ago, 14-year-old Kodi took his own life after being bullied.

The Pearsons told Hayes they are still tortured by what they wish they could have done, and what they still can’t understand.

“I just don’t feel I was there for him,” Mr Pearson said.

“And I question myself why he couldn’t have come and talked to me about it. I didn’t think a 14-year old could think like that.”

Before taking his life, Kodi wrote a letter to his family with a message they continue to spread throughout schools to this day – under the foundation Kodi’s Message.

“He wanted everybody to know how bad bullying is,” Ms Pearson said.

“It's very important… We've got something to work for, and try and help other people.”

The Pearsons are determined to make change in Kodi’s name.

“There needs to be some consequences,” Ms Pearson said.

“Everything else in life, there’s a consequence. At this stage, there’s not for bullies, so they can just carry on and do it to the next child, and the next child and the next child.”

More than ever bullying is proving to be terrifying - a nightmarish hell where parents are left feeling frustrated and powerless.

Hayes’ report identified two families torn apart by the suffering of their children, demanding that as a nation we make change.

“I think what we all would like to think people will take away from this story is that bullying is real,” Hayes said.

“Bullying has taken lives and that there needs to be something to stop this.

“As a society we all have to make a decision that this is not good enough. And we all have to decide something should be done.”

Wahesh

Reaction score
Deadset hero. DEADSET HERO!

I know that anyone here would take the law into their own hands when the schools or Police say "there's nothing we can do about it" and if it was my little girl getting bullied, I would've done more than just choke that bullying little fucker. $1000 is a piss weak fine to pay for putting that little turd in line.

Standing ovation for that father.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
one of the few piss weak laws of this country , you cant touch a criminal or persecute him for his crime as long as he is below the age of 18.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really feel sorry for kids these days. In the past there were still bullies obviously, but the bullying was generally restricted to within the school walls.

These days kids are online and know how to use apps like Facebook and Snapchat before they can even write. The bullying continues outside of school and pedestallled on the big stage of the scary online world that follows you everywhere you go.

As a person wanting to have children in the next few years, I'm frightened as hell what another child is capable of doing to my own. I'd have no hesitation choking a bully and facing the consequences if it means my child not taking the matter into their own hands and taking their own life as a result. $1000 is a very very small price to pay.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No matter what's happening, an adult should not choke a kid. I appreciate he was driven to a point of severe frustrating and anger, but he is supposed to be the ADULT.

I use the word "should", because we're not perfect, and some people only know the violence route themselves.

I was bullied at school, but I would never have wanted my old man to go around bashing people himself.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If it means my kid does not get bullied and grows up without anxiety/depression abd social issues id have no drama knocking out a little punk and doing a few months in Silverwater.

Family first. Always.

Having a Dad in prison will do wonders for a kid's upbringing i'm sure.

Wahesh

Reaction score
one of the few piss weak laws of this country , you cant touch a criminal or persecute him for his crime as long as he is below the age of 18.
$1000 and no criminal record - I'd do it. Only I would've done more. Definitely not punch him in the face. Wind him in the gut, that's for sure.

Wahesh

Reaction score
No matter what's happening, an adult should not choke a kid. I appreciate he was driven to a point of severe frustrating and anger, but he is supposed to be the ADULT.

I use the word "should", because we're not perfect, and some people only know the violence route themselves.

I was bullied at school, but I would never have wanted my old man to go around bashing people himself.
Perhaps, but if he didn't get physical, he would've continued to think he could get away with it and just get reprimanded. Last year when I went to pick up my nieces from after school care, the one in year 4 said that these twin boys abused her and her sister - one hit her with a cricket bat on the backside, and the one in year 1 had a ball bounced on top her head by the other twin. If I saw that, I would've lost my shit at them. These twin boys were in year 6 too. They should've known better FFS. I knew not to hit girls when I was in primary school, let alone year 6.

Wahesh

Reaction score
If it means my kid does not get bullied and grows up without anxiety/depression abd social issues id have no drama knocking out a little punk and doing a few months in Silverwater.

Family first. Always.
Same. If some guy abused my kid for being a bully and I didn't know about it, I would walk up to that guy and shake his hand. Then when we got home, I would discipline my kid - and if my kid was a boy, he would get a physical disciplining!

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
wheres the other dad or if hes not available 1 of his uncles/cousins there has to be a following 1 on 1 lol

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So having a kid bullied into suicide is a better option??
I've seen those sorts of comments on social media - there is nothing in this story whatsoever for someone to be able to say that this father's actions somehow stopped a suicide, or similar actions by others do, or that not choking out the alleged bully will lead to their suicide.

Pretty naive to think that this guy's actions now means his kid will be 100% free from bullying going forward, and that's before you get to the other stuff, like what kind of adult they will become. There's probably a good chance he's made it worse for the long term, and from my own observations growing up, that's what tends to happen.

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen those sorts of comments on social media - there is nothing in this story whatsoever for someone to be able to say that this father's actions somehow stopped a suicide, or similar actions by others do, or that not choking out the alleged bully will lead to their suicide.

Pretty naive to think that this guy's actions now means his kid will be 100% free from bullying going forward, and that's before you get to the other stuff, like what kind of adult they will become. There's probably a good chance he's made it worse for the long term, and from my own observations growing up, that's what tends to happen.
if schools anything like it use to be that girl will be getting it 100x worse after this with the hopes the dad comebacks and then everyone can jump him

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score

Your right the father should not choke the kid ,
Should’ve put his head through a brick wall.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
$1000 would of been better spent on a massive 17year old who knows how to fight. Pay him to kick the living fuck out of this bully when you can get him by himself...
No videoing it. Just make sure its 1 on 1 and let the little dog know while his choking on his own blood that there is alot more punishment if need be

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
When I had made the decision to bring a child into this world, I did so knowing I would do everything in my power to keep my boy safe from anything and anyone.

Just so happens that choking out smarmy little cocksuckers is within my power :sweatsmile:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
if schools anything like it use to be that girl will be getting it 100x worse after this with the hopes the dad comebacks and then everyone can jump him
The kid who probably had the hardest time when I was at school was one whose father was a dead set deadbeat, who was in and out of prison, and never seemed to have a job. One could only imagine his shit life at home, and many kids, fuelled by what they would have heard at home from their own parent's judgements on his old man and family generally (this was in a small town), just made it worse when he bothered to go to school. He would be goaded until he snapped, and so got suspended plenty of times. No idea what happened to him, but i don;t think his prospects were good.

Status
Not open for further replies.