Here's the thing about 2024

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't think Flanno (Jnr) is the problem in all honesty. A decent coach like Trent Robinson had him playing decent football.

Sure he's no Sam Walker or Cooper Cronk, but he's also young.

Heck maybe we need to get Cronk in as a halves consultant for Flanno and Burton.
I've looked at Kyle's numbers while at the Roosters. Plenty of goal kicking points but not too much else to speak of. Teddy and Keary way ahead on try assists, line break assists etc.

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lol Cobbo...no chance
Fullbacks off contract end of 2023 that I would shortlist are:

Chance of buying/reasonable offer to pitch

Niu - 75% - $350,000
Cobbo - 20% - $450,000
Nikoll-Klokstad - 65% - $400,000
Savage - 50% - $300,000
Will Kennedy - 20% - $450,000
Drinkwater - 40% - $400,000
Tabuai-Fidow - 30% - $400,000
Latrell Mitchell - 15% - $900,000
Daine Laurie - 70% - $400,000

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way we will see progress and be successful again is investing in the Juniors we have lacked that for a while now.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Cashed-up Canterbury Bulldogs’ salary cap freedom comes with a catch
Phil Gould’s salary cap war chest will have the rest of the NRL on high alert, but it should come with an ominous warning for the Bulldogs, BRENT READ writes.

The whisper doing the rounds a few weeks ago was that Canterbury head of football Phil Gould was sniffing around Melbourne star Cameron Munster as he eyed off a big-name signing for 2024.

He wasn’t the only high-profile star apparently on Gould’s hit list. There was another rumour that he was interested in Brisbane superstar Payne Haas when it surfaced that he may want out of the Broncos.

There were even suggestions Gould met Haas’s manager last week at Belmore. Not for the first time either. Just Gus doing what he does best – wheeling, dealing and spinning the rumour mill.

The Bulldogs have become a treasure trove for gossip and innuendo in recent weeks. The whispers and speculation may yet prove wide of the mark but they point to a club with money to spend and a desire to spend it.

1653029743468.png
The Cameron Munster to Canterbury rumour gained traction recently. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

The Bulldogs will be armed and dangerous on November 1. They could have more than $6 million sitting in their war chest, a figure could inflate further once the salary cap is finalised.

Gould cashed to the hilt will have the rest of the NRL on high alert. A word of warning though. The Bulldogs need to tread carefully. They don’t need glitz and glamour right now.

When the Oakland Raiders signed a player a few years ago to massive deal he vowed to be a “good force” in the city. Then, on his first day of training, he arrived in a hot-air balloon. Needless to say, it didn’t work out.

That’s not what the Bulldogs need. They don’t need egos. They don’t need to fritter away money on big names who erode the club’s culture. They did that with one player recently and word is that they would now be happy to let him go.

They need players who have quality combined with a work ethic that seeps through the club and its playing group. It was interesting to watch as the worlds of Gould and Brisbane coach Kevin Walters collided on Thursday night after the Broncos win over Newcastle.

Gould in his role as a commentator with the Nine Network spoke to Walters after the game and congratulated him on the job he had done in Brisbane. It wasn’t that long ago that the Broncos were at rock bottom, having sacked their coach Anthony Seibold after a period of defeat that mutated into anger and frustration.

The Broncos are quickly becoming a template for how to turn your club around. Invest your money wisely in the positions that matter, recruit leaders who can show others how to win, and find the right coach rather than the best coach.

Walters isn’t mentioned in the same breath as Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy. Likely never will be. But he loves the Broncos and his passion is infectious. He has reinvigorated the club.

It helps that he has invested the club’s spare cash wisely, spending money on footballers like Adam Reynolds and Kurt Capewell, blokes who know how to win and more importantly, know how to lead.

They set a standard on the training track and others have followed. Even when Reynolds is absent, as he was last night, others have stepped into the breach.

The message is loud and clear for the Bulldogs. Get your recruitment right and things can change quickly. It begs the question who the Bulldogs should pursue.

By 2024, when they have room to manoeuvre, Josh Jackson’s contract will have come to an end and he is likely to have slipped into retirement.

A roll call of potential signings includes the likes of Munster and while he is clearly top quality, he has a past and Sydney may not be the best place for him.

They could do worse than look at Mitchell Moses as he heads to market on November 1. If Matt Burton is to test the market and potentially depart, they will need a quality half. Moses is just that.

1653029811045.png
The Bulldogs were rumoured to be interested in Payne Haas (left), as Brisbane have been rewarded for signing Kurt Capewell (right). Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

Victor Radley would be the ideal replacement for Josh Jackson at lock. He is a ferocious competitor who loves to win. Prising him from the Roosters will be difficult, but no harm in asking.

They need a fullback so perhaps it is worth taking a chance on Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow or Daine Laurie at the right price. The important thing is that they get it right.

The Bulldogs know better than most that getting it wrong can lead to prolonged pain. That’s the last thing their supporters need.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. Cobbo
6. Burton
7. Munster
9. Mahoney

#jizzinmypants
Munster is a 5/8, unless we are thinking of letting Burton go why would we not target a 7. We are in desperate need of a halfback until that is sorted we are shuffling the deck chairs.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Munster is a 5/8, unless we are thinking of letting Burton go why would we not target a 7. We are in desperate need of a halfback until that is sorted we are shuffling the deck chairs.
There are no good 7's. I guess Moses if he's available. Unless it's Moses I'd prefer we play with 2 five-eighths. Munster's experienced enough to be a hybrid 6/7.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's not a position we should be guessing about in my view. 2024 is 18months off surely Gus can get us a 7. If we lock in Burton the next piece to put in place is an established halfback. We need Noddy 2.0.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's not a position we should be guessing about in my view. 2024 is 18months off surely Gus can get us a 7. If we lock in Burton the next piece to put in place is an established halfback. We need Noddy 2.0.
recruitment for 2024 starts in November and we're only 6 months away.

WestenBulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Why not keep Burton and convert him into a ball playing 13 like Yeo, he’s certainly big enough, and then chase a 6 and 7?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why not keep Burton and convert him into a ball playing 13 like Yeo, he’s certainly big enough, and then chase a 6 and 7?
because Burton wants to play in the halves, he won't be here if he isn't playing halves in 2024.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't see us getting Munster but I could see us getting Payne Haas.
I'd can see a spine like this Come 2024.
1. SCOTT DRINKWATER
6. MATT BURTON
7. BAILEY HAYWARD
9. REED MAHONEY

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep I agree. It's actually a very attractive proposition for the next Head Coach. Great marketing work Gus.
This war chest is a little bit different, it's a war chest supervised by Gus, it's not going to be blown on players like Flanno, Waddell, Allen like before, plus this time around we have a good base of players to add to like JAC, Burton, Kikau, Mahoney who are already secured. We've taken the long road but it will come together.
My worry is a possible clash between Gus and S Flanagan, A signed agreement would have to be priority between the 2 and the club.
Unlesss Kyle is pissed off end 2022, i just can't see Senior not picking and looking after his useless baby.