Henjak says negotiations with Hunt had adverse affect on Broncos' recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Brisbane Broncos say their doomed bid to re-sign Karmichael Hunt cost the club the signatures of one or two other star players.

Broncos coach Ivan Henjak admits Hunt's imminent move overseas, unforeseen last year, has tangled his club's forward planning for 2010 and beyond.

Another knot in Brisbane's recruitment and retention policy has been drawn-out dealings with captain Darren Lockyer.

Broncos CEO Bruno Cullen on Wednesday labelled the continuing negotiations to extend Lockyer's dazzling career at the club "frustrating" for all parties.

However, first-year coach Henjak has defended the club's direction amid double-barrelled criticism it has both released the wrong players and failed to attract essential personnel.

Brisbane's decision to release the likes of Bulldogs stars Ben Hannant, Michael Ennis and David Stagg - all in red-hot form - has raised eyebrows.

"I would have liked to kept a few of those blokes but we had to re-sign Karmichael this year and we thought that was going to happen," Henjak said.

"When you make those decisions, you don't know what's going to happen six-seven months down the track.

"We put some money aside and that cost us one or two of those players as well. "Karmichael hasn't worked out. Some of those other decisions were out of our hands too."

Another point of discord has been the club's failure to poach a top-line frontrower to replace Hannant or 2007 Penrith departee Petero Civoniceva - with David Taylor's deal with South Sydney seen as salt to the wounds.

"It's a bit difficult for next year because everyone's gone, we can't do much about getting who we'd like," Henjak said. "Our hands are tied a little bit.

"We'll have to look a few years ahead."

Earlier this year the Broncos flirted with NSW Origin prop Justin Poore but he didn't bite and have since shown little interest in off-contract North Queensland Cowboys and Origin prop Matt Scott.

Henjak is willing to invest in the future, a trait he has shown this season, believing under-20s props David Hala and Dunamis Lui to be future NRL players.

"They're going to be young I know but we're looking a bit to the future," Henjak said.

"Justin Poore - maybe he'd be a good buy for us now - but once again, at the time the decisions were made, we're still negotiating with Locky. The salary cap's not an easy thing, having to make decisions long-term."

Henjak is content to pilot his young squad next year but the club is believed to be still on the lookout for a forward should a suitable candidate arise.

"We're comfortable, we think we can get through with who we've got and then we'll look to 2011-2012," he said.

It is believed Hunt has committed to a two-year deal overseas, believed to be worth close to $800,000 a year, with an official announcement expected next week.

Foxsports.com

Wow. Simply wow. No wonder it's on their sleeves and the front of their jersey.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
LOL at them blaming on Hunt who they know is leaving. Everyone knows it was Falou that fcked em over

B.A.Baracus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
However, first-year coach Henjak has defended the club's direction amid double-barrelled criticism it has both released the wrong players and failed to attract essential personnel.

Brisbane's decision to release the likes of Bulldogs stars Ben Hannant, Michael Ennis and David Stagg - all in red-hot form - has raised eyebrows.

"I would have liked to kept a few of those blokes but we had to re-sign Karmichael this year and we thought that was going to happen," Henjak said.
How can he defend that level of stupidity?!

Ask us if we'd swap Hannant, Ennis and Stagg for Hunt...

No feckin way! Yet in effect, a coach has done just that.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
lol it happens to every team it was a case of bad luck. Just like the bulldogs signed SBW for heaps and he flew to france and ****ed the team over / prevented others being re-signed.

However Cullen is an idiot please sack him asap!

kingroose

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
lol it happens to every team it was a case of bad luck. Just like the bulldogs signed SBW for heaps and he flew to france and ****ed the team over / prevented others being re-signed.

However Cullen is an idiot please sack him asap!
x2, but at least Hunt waited till his contract was finished...

i wouldn't only blame Folau... Brisbane fails without Bennett. HTH

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Brisbane are a team on the S L I D E, now that the Gold Coast provides an attractive alternative for QLD based players, & NQ Cows are getting their act together.
Throw in Melbourne which has a reputation as somewhat of defacto QLD team, and the Broncos staglehold on the cream of the QLD player market is history.

Chuck in the Bennett factor, & genius management decisions like those outlined in the article above.... and perhaps the Broncos are on the cusp of a a
South Sydney/StGeorge/Parramatta like premiership drought eh?

Dogandgunner

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all good falou can shout the team a beer while watching on tv hannant, ennis Eastwood and stagg win the gf with the doggies

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
i wouldn't only blame Folau... Brisbane fails without Bennett. HTH
You can't blame Folau at all, he didn't force them to make a huge offer. It's Bronco's managment that decided to spend all their money on a guy that wouldn't touch the ball on 70% of their plays.

Didn't they know Hunt was going ages ago???? Everyone else did :whacky:

Shawty

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Its no ones fault apart from Cullen and the recruitment board :grinning:

Broncos are missing Bennet more then anything.

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
I really dont like Cullen, I wish he'd go **** up some other club.

bulldogs808

Waterboy
Reaction score
didnt we loose thurston cos we had to keep monies to sign anasta and co. or was it price and then he left. whichever it is sucked in brisbane. look at these guys now and they r playing heaps beta then they were up there. stop whinging henjack. should be next coach sacked

Shawty

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Brisbane are a team on the S L I D E, now that the Gold Coast provides an attractive alternative for QLD based players, & NQ Cows are getting their act together.
Throw in Melbourne which has a reputation as somewhat of defacto QLD team, and the Broncos staglehold on the cream of the QLD player market is history.

Chuck in the Bennett factor, & genius management decisions like those outlined in the article above.... and perhaps the Broncos are on the cusp of a a
South Sydney/StGeorge/Parramatta like premiership drought eh?
haha thats laughable brisbane will never go on a drought like all of those clubs.

The talent in Qld is unbelievable

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Brisbane are in trouble for the next few years and won't contend for a while until all of these youngsters get used to the NRL.

Their pack is and will be way too weak to get them anywhere and they only have themselves to blame, not Hunt or anything else.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
haha thats laughable brisbane will never go on a drought like all of those clubs.

Yeah, the talent is unbelievable, but they don't have it all to themselves like they did in the 80's-90's. NQ is no longer a basket case, & the Titans would have to be one of the most desirable places to live & play football in.

Besides, I'm sure if you spoke to a Dragons in 1979 fan and told them that they wouldn't win another comp for 30 years they would have laughed as well !

B.A.Baracus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Typical broncos mentality. That may be the case, but what makes you so sure talented players will be queing up to play for your lot?

There are other clubs in the NRL, you know.

The sooner we have another Brisbane club in the NRL the better. Maybe this mentality or should i say mentalness will stop.

QLDGirl

queensland rock
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Brisbane are in trouble for the next few years and won't contend for a while until all of these youngsters get used to the NRL.

Their pack is and will be way too weak to get them anywhere and they only have themselves to blame, not Hunt or anything else.
I think you may be right. I dont think we'll slide way way down or anything, might, probably on the edge of Top 8 alot of the time, but I'm not sure we'll be real contenders for a bit. I mean we have alot going on with a crap CEO, new coach, players deciding to stay/leave, new players having to come up etc, I think it might take a little while. I hope Im wrong and it all turns around alot quicker :p

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agreed. Brisbane easily got the best crops of young, talented players.

I think the Broncos will end up making the finals. I expect Penrith to choke soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.