Haynes Cousin signs with Raiders

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/ad3e9c050399d5218225b019487064c5

Hayne’s ‘phenomenal’ cousin towing trees as he chases Raiders NRL dream

RAIDERS

• January 9, 2019 11:30am
  • JOE MCDONOUGH
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

Jarryd Hayne's cousin Josh Thompson has signed with the Canberra Raiders.Source: FOX SPORTS
Josh Thompson — the 18-year-old first cousin of Jarryd Hayne — has signed with the Canberra Raiders.

And this isn’t a case of blindly inking a deal with the Fijian teen on the off-chance he can develop that same game-breaking quality as the two-time Dally M winner.

When visas are in the ballpark of $40,000 a player, plus all the other expenses, you have to be able to justify the spend.

And for Raiders recruitment guru Peter Mulholland it was an easy sell.

This isn’t a kid of privilege, he explained. Aside from a scholarship deal with the Knights two years ago — which saw him work briefly with the club before visa complications ended the relationship — he has done everything off his own bat.

“He did a medial ligament injury, diagnosed it himself, did that on Google, and did all his rehab from Google as well,” Mulholland laughed.

“You’ve got to understand it’s a third-world country, so he’s not going to get medical supervision or anything else.”

It’s the same with his training.

He gained some direction from Knights development videos and the Nadi academy where Mulholland met him, but his 114-kilogram frame with less than 100 millilitres of body fat is largely the result of his own hard work.

You can see that with the extra sessions he’s been putting in since arriving in the nation’s capital.

“If you look at his Facebook profile picture, you can see him actually towing a tree up a footy field over the Christmas break in Canberra,” Mulholland told foxsports.com.au.

“It was 41 degrees and he found a tree and a piece of rope and decided to do some leg work with that. He’s absolutely phenomenal.”

And that’s despite having a deficiency in his gluteus maximus because he had been overcompensating for his knee and working too hard on one side of his body while doing his own rehabilitation back home.

But there’s more to the six-foot-five powerhouse than his physicality, with Mulholland revealing the potential front-row sensation wanted to finish school before chasing the NRL dream.

“He’s a shy kid but he’s very anxious to learn, and he’s very intelligent. He takes a pen and paper to training,” he continues.

“He went down today apparently and took a USB plug down with him, and did some cuts to look at other players in his position and what he needs to do... I couldn’t be more pleased with his attitude.”

It’s a scary proposition for the Jersey Flegg (under 20s) players he’ll be lining up against this year, and the Raiders can see him cracking first-grade after a steep learning curve over the next two years.

“Now he needs to get his game awareness and skill set up to speed, but we’ve got two years for that,” he added.

While he’s thrilled the Raiders have locked down Thompson, Mulholland explained he’s had to watch other Pacific prospects slip from his grasp as a result of the signing.

He laments losing exciting back Solomoni Naiduki to the Eels, but said giving Fijian kids a pathway is more important than any individual coup for the Green Machine.

“I’ve been over [to Fiji] twice and I told [Thompson’s] parents, ‘This is not about promises, this is about opportunities’. And I said, ‘If I can’t give the kid an opportunity and somebody else can I’ve got no issues whatsoever. All I ask is that we get the first chance at it’,” he explained.

“And that’s what happened with Solomoni Naiduki. I rang (Parramatta talent scout) Matty Desira and said, ‘If you sign the kid he’s going to be a good’n’, and now he’s with the Eels.

“I’d bring 20 of them over but it’s the cost factor.”

Much of the credit needs to go to Alex McKinnon and Troy Pezet (Elite Pathway Recruitment Manager at the Knights) for initially identifying Thompson’s talent as a 15-year-old.

When the Knights offered him the scholarship in 2017, Pezet told The Daily Telegraph they could seeing him being a similar player to Viliame Kikau or Daniel Saifiti.

Mulholland’s gamble certainly looks to be a good one.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Wake me up when he's playing consistent first grade.

So many of these articles about potential superstars, and the media hypes the shit out of them (moreso if there's a famous name attached) and then you hear nothing from the again (or they struggle once they hit NSW Cup).

Anyone know why Mullholland left the dogs in the first place (and if our club has feelers in South Pacific to identify talent)? If Mullholland was on good terms still with our club, why not give us (not the friggin Eels) the tip off?

Another thing, Fiji isn't really "third world", and that's a tree branch, not a tree. Probably weighing in about 10kgs.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Does he like to bite too?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Looks like a machine (but looks are deceiving) let’s hope he doesn’t follow in cousins footsteps!!

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What a lot of crap. Who comes up with these stories. Just sign him and play him, dont bullshit to people with google doctor, a shrub and the rest of the crap.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol.. Who doesn't use Google to diagnose

He looks like he has zero body fat and those muscles don't come from playing ps4 .. why do good up n coming players always go to the raiders.. It's so cold in winter

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I dont know about this kid but i know letting Mullholland go was a huge mistake as Des had to bring his Manly lackies in. All McDonnell seems to do is recruit Tigers players.

Our club needs to be proactive and look at the Pacific nations, the ESL and Rugby juniors more.

They should have gone after O'Sullivan or tried to lure Mullholland back.

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mulholland!!! Why? Lets check his recent record. After the Dogs, spent 2013 & 2014 at the Knights. 2015 Dragons. 2016 Raiders. Knights struggled for years. Dragons struggled till 2018. Raiders on fire in 2016 but most of the signings were done before Mullholland got there in Nov 2015. Since he's done their recruiting, canberra have been flops in 2017 and 2018. He admits he didnt even find this kid. O'Sullivan I would take but if the NRL were fair dinkum, he shouldnt be allowed to work.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Mikaele Ravalawa ring a bell to anyone?

Spotted by Peter Mulholland, joining the Canberra Raiders in 2017 and played for their Holden Cup side. Hyped up and in first season, Ravalawa scored 12 tries in 22 games and won Canberra's under 20s player of the year award.

2018 spent playing for Mounties before ending up at the Bulls in Canberra Cup.

Dragons have signed him for 2019.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
That's a big child

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use bigger kindling to start a fire, i think alan is right. He was tied there, then sore pierce fucking a dog and wanted in.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
“It was 41 degrees and he found a tree and a piece of rope and decided to do some leg work with that. He’s absolutely phenomenal.”
Slight problem there... they don't get 40+ degree days in Fiji. Infact Fiji rarely goes above mid 30s even in the hottest time of the year. In 2016 the third highest recorded temp in Fijian history (since records taken in 1959) was 30 degrees. Since 2016 records of mid 30s and a 37.8 recorded. Well short of a claimed 41 degrees.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Slight problem there... they don't get 40+ degree days in Fiji. Infact Fiji rarely goes above mid 30s even in the hottest time of the year. In 2016 the third highest recorded temp in Fijian history (since records taken in 1959) was 30 degrees. Since 2016 records of mid 30s and a 37.8 recorded. Well short of a claimed 41 degrees.
I know you like to be the resident debunker but you should re read the article. Maybe take 5 minutes to take it in after that.

He is currently in Canberra, that tree pull was on a Canberra oval. It's been hotter than Hades arsehole here.