Hasler puts faith in new Bulldogs hooker

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Des Hasler says back-up hooker Damien Cook could stay in the side for the rest of the NRL season even when Josh Reynolds returns from injury.

A season-ending ankle injury to starting No.9 Michael Lichaa has forced Hasler to call up the 24-year-old for Friday night's grudge match against South Sydney.

It will be Cook's first top-grade game in over 12 months, and just the fifth for his career since debuting for St George-Illawarra in 2013.

Lichaa's absence is a major blow to the Bulldogs' premiership aspirations, but Hasler remained confident Cook would fill in capably.

"Michael was really fitting into the role and his game's gone in leaps and bounds. I'm personally disappointed for him," Hasler said on Thursday.

"But young Damien Cook that's coming in, he's been waiting for his opportunity. He's an experienced campaigner, a good footballer and he'll do the job tomorrow night."

Hasler confirmed Reynolds remained 2-3 weeks away from returning from a knee problem he suffered in round 20, but said the utility wouldn't necessarily be slotted straight into hooker in place of Cook with Trent Hodkinson and Moses Mbye preferred in the halves.

"We've got a bit of flexibility around that position (hooker)," he said.

"We've got Josh and Moses (Mbye) also played hooker in the GF last year.

"We'll be okay there, but don't exclude Damien Cook."

Friday's meeting with the Rabbitohs is their first clash since the controversial Good Friday encounter in round five that ended with three Bulldogs suspended.

Skipper James Graham and teammate David Klemmer were both rubbed out for their tirades directed at referee Gerard Sutton, while Sam Kasiano was banned for a dangerous contact.

Hasler admitted it took time for the side to move on from the loss.

"For the players it did. We had a couple of injuries in there, and a couple of suspensions," he said.

"But that's just part and parcel of the game."

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/08/20/hasler-puts-faith-new-bulldogs-hooker

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Goodluck Cook, hope you have an awesome game. Now that Hasler has said he is playing does this mean he won't be?

Malla

Reaction score
Whats the bet this is just part of the mind games. He will start Jackson at 9 and have Cook come off the bench when the big boys of the Souths pack have tired, allowing Cook to utilize his allusiveness and speed more effectively through the middle. I think the defensive work load in trying to contain the big Souths pack could prove to be too much for Cook, particularly without Tolman there.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whats the bet this is just part of the mind games. He will start Jackson at 9 and have Cook come off the bench when the big boys of the Souths pack have tired, allowing Cook to utilize his allusiveness and speed more effectively through the middle. I think the defensive work load in trying to contain the big Souths pack could prove to be too much for Cook, particularly without Tolman there.
I disagree. He has showed plenty of faith in cook in the past. Hasler is good like that (sometimes works against us). Im expecting him to start and play 80 if he can handle it.

I just hope he can handle the big souths pack who will be stupid not to target him.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cook is a must at hooker. Mbye playing too well to be moved to hooker and Reynolds can't pass out of dummy half. Not to mention we need Jackson in the forwards

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jackson to hooker
lane to the right edge

LCD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Surely we are due something good coming into a finals series? Cook to absolutely carve the NRL up over the next 7 weeks and be our x factor with opposition teams not having an answer for this nor the time to figure him out. Hopefully Des lets him play and use the skills and gifts he has. Starting to get worked up its that time of year again. We need to smash Rabbits by 30+ to get our +/- better than theirs. Then watch donkeys and rorters smash them the following two weeks so we can jump above them.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope Cook gets more than five minutes

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I too hope that Damien Cook smashes it up. My only worry would be an up tempo 80 minute game from him. Pace in NSW Cup very different and this will be his first top grade game this year. I suppose we should have confidence in him as it is obvious Des does otherwise we would have gotten a side that contained six positional changes instead of one. ( Oh no!)

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Is this another smoke screen were des plays mind games and ends up outing JJ in hooker

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Cook hopefully does just fine, and is allowed to play his natural game. BIG game for the guy.

Jackson will not be playing hooker.. he only played there last week because we had no other option!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Cook hopefully does just fine, and is allowed to play his natural game. BIG game for the guy.

Jackson will not be playing hooker.. he only played there last week because we had no other option!!
Natural game lol, how many players are currently allowed to do that under Des?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Natural game lol, how many players are currently allowed to do that under Des?
As strange as this may sound, I wonder if Des is holding their abilities back.

In past few weeks we've seen Hodko really hit his strides and start running the ball. We've seen Lichaa run and scoot from dummy half, and we've seen Mbye develop a short attacking kicking game.

Surely that's not coinidence.

It's like we've been told "just do what you need to to try and win the game", and now we've been told "start tossing it around and attacking for 80 minutes".

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In past few weeks we've seen Hodko really hit his strides and start running the ball. We've seen Lichaa run and scoot from dummy half, and we've seen Mbye develop a short attacking kicking game.

Surely that's not coinidence.

It's like we've been told "just do what you need to to try and win the game", and now we've been told "start tossing it around and attacking for 80 minutes".
They're just finding form, the whole under radar thing doesnt make sense when you're fighting for a top 8 spot. If we drop a single game in the next 3 weeks we might not make the 8, same as last year we were lucky the Eels and warriors lost otherwise we were gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.