Hasler insists all Manly players buy an iPad to watch video footage as homework

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL Des hasn't changed!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=85366e5a60314620fc006b5cc33b1c70-1550467592

Don’t tell Des Hasler this but Api Koroisau can only keep his focus for about 10 minutes before his thoughts drift from the intense analysis taking place in the Sea Eagles’ video sessions. “Api is definitely the number one hater of video,” laughs Manly veteran Jorge Taufua. “Api doesn’t watch video. Like 10 minutes in he just zones out. It’s not like he’s stupid, he’s the smartest guy, but he just doesn’t need that much.” This is a symptom, maybe, of the countless pre-season hours spent watching clips — addressing mistakes and missed opportunities, and sometimes highlighting the plays and movement that Hasler wants to see more of.

“Api is definitely the number one hater of video,” laughs Manly veteran Jorge Taufua.

“Api doesn’t watch video. Like 10 minutes in he just zones out. It’s not like he’s stupid, he’s the smartest guy, but he just doesn’t need that much.”

This is a symptom, maybe, of the countless pre-season hours spent watching clips — addressing mistakes and missed opportunities, and sometimes highlighting the plays and movement that Hasler wants to see more of
“Api is definitely the number one hater of video,” laughs Manly veteran Jorge Taufua.

“Api doesn’t watch video. Like 10 minutes in he just zones out. It’s not like he’s stupid, he’s the smartest guy, but he just doesn’t need that much.”

This is a symptom, maybe, of the countless pre-season hours spent watching clips — addressing mistakes and missed opportunities, and sometimes highlighting the plays and movement that Hasler wants to see more of.

Video work is nothing new of course, it’s critical in holding players accountable.

But Hasler, often referred to as the ‘mad scientist’ for his calculated approach to coaching, has taken it to a “new level” according to Taufua.

“He made us all buy an iPad and I was like ‘what the hell?’. Some of us have laptops or some of us might have iPads for the kids, but it’s not like it’s $50 it’s $1200,” he tells Foxsports.com.au shaking his head.

“So the video is next level... we all have homework on the iPad and I’m pretty sure they know if you’ve watched it or not. There must be something on his computer that tells him if someone hasn’t watched it.

“There’s video before and after our sessions and then we go home to watch it again. So, we’ve got to be on the ball when we rock up [to training] because if Dessie asks you a question and you don’t know the answer get ready for an earful.”

The 27-year-old, who has previously played under Geoff Toovey and Trent Barrett, is only having a lighthearted dig about the off-field study. He admits it’s helping his game.

“I hope the boys take something out of it, I definitely do. It’s good to know on a daily basis where you’re going wrong or what you’re doing well,” he offers.

Curtis Sironen explains that the players discuss the vision in good spirit, and there’s no negativity when they’re singled out as an example of what not to do.

“We’ve done a lot more video with Des than I have done previously. Even the minor things when you re-watch it, we’re highlighting it all a bit more,” he says.

“We’ve got a good leadership group who are pulling things up as well and helping guys out. It’s a good environment at the moment, it’s really positive, and even if you get told you’re doing something wrong you just want to get out there and fix it for your teammates.

“If you get used as an example you’ve got to take it on the chin, it’s nothing personal. I’ll put my hand up I’ve had a few, and big Joely Thompson’s had about a thousand — he loves coming out of the line and trying to smash someone,” Sironen grins.

Tom Trbojevic wouldn’t be singled out too often, but even he admits his game is improving because of this emphasis on video.

“Des is a very professional coach and he’s brought in some things like the iPads to watch video and hold ourselves accountable,” he says.

“I’ve really enjoyed doing stuff like that. You just want to learn as much as you can and play the best footy you can and that helps you do it.

“It’s more just send out clips that you’ve got to watch, and if you’ve done something wrong you have to think about it, analyse it, and discuss it when you see him.

“Or [we] just look at a clip and go, ‘do you think we should be doing this?’ So we can have an open discussion about it, which I think’s the good thing about it because he’s not just sending you clips where he says you did this wrong’, it’s giving you the chance to talk about it.”

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
LMFAO ... why do I get the feeling Manly could turn into an absolute shit show of a team this year, and leave Des with one last gigantic "FUCK YOU" to the league world, before they sack him.

I'd piss myself laughing if it happens, given the apparent gushing over the return of Des.

I dunno.... is he in it for the job, or is he still seething for revenge after their club fucked him around years ago.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When is this man going to get it that Rugby League isn't about iPads, tracking, theory, bullshit and more bullshit?

It's about heart, attitude and actually enjoy the sport that you've made a career out of.

Hasler just doesn't get it.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I hate Hasler the **** hope they get the spoon

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manly players have to pay for soda and Gatorade more then Tell him to shout them all one with his bulldogs payout and then api can download games on it

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He’s lost touch with the game

Death by video analysis

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
manly probably rejected his request so he passed the cost onto the players.

Next session......

Des: I want each of you to buy your own Hyperbaric Chambers..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Copy and paste story from when he joined the dogs

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
At least get them Microsoft surfer pros.

Don't force them buy overpriced shitty pieces of plastic that will break within the year

(actually it's manly so they deserve it)

Last edited:
Reactions: K E

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
Manly will make the 8 first year then it will go down hill

We played boring footy under him and I can’t see that changing with him coaching manly

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
How many times can you watch the forwards bang the ball up then run it dead on the last?

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
At least get them Microsoft surfer pros.

Don't force them buy overpriced shitty pieces of plastic that will break within the year

(actually it's manly so they deserve it)
Surface Pros are the best! All my staff have them.

P.S I hate Des :grinning:

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I can't wait to watch his first press conference... and him using the words "us" and "we".. straight away... words he only started using at our club after he had been here for 3 years...

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
LMFAO.......Just picked myself off the floor.

Des is a 6 trick pony. If they get a zero tackle, the game plan is stuffed. Nose whistler is not intelligent enough to plan for that.
Api might well zero out after 10 mins but i am sure they all do.

I mean, it would be like watching a 4 minute loop of the same repetitive shit over and over and over again.

Someone should introduce them to Redtube.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
More to footy than statistics.. You may offload the ball once but it leads to the play that sees the winning try scored.. Stat Sheet: One Offload..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Marty t will hate playing under him I reckon and try to leave

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I enjoyed this alot