Opinion Has Thompson been a flop or does he need better halves to work with?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's different styles of locks like Radley and Murray but Carrigan, Finucane, Ese'ese, Glasby, Brown, Liu, etc can and have all played prop before. In any case, let's compare him to other locks
Taumalolo: avg 223m per game
Trbojevic: avg 136m per game
Carrigan: avg 145m per game
Yeo: avg 144m per game
Brown: avg 157m per game
Matt Eisenhuth: avg 115m per game
Mitch Barnett: avg 114m per game
Arrow: avg 125m per game
Finucane: avg 123m per game
Thompson: avg 102m per game

Not sure about you but when we paid 700-800k for him we'd expect someone with abit better production than Matthew Eisenhuth
It's only a five game sample size so Thompson can boost those numbers with one big game. He is probably averaging only 50 minutes a game whereas most of the guys on that list play 80 minutes or 65 plus regularly so that list isn't a true reflection and he could easily match everyone else's stats except for Lolo if given more minutes...

Thompson certainly needs play better and has a lot more to offer but we can't judge him properly until he's had a full offseason and is utilised properly.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Id like to see that list with the props they play with tbh, see if its an even playing field. I bet it isn't lol. Oh throw in the hooker while you're at it, hookers play a part in how they bring forwards onto the ball.

I wonder if they're playing behind the likes of super Tolman and quicksand Crapa or getting shit ball from JMK or Katoa who don't engage the markers nothing.
If we're going to make the excuse about the hooker for Thompson why aren't we extending that to Napa?
For the record I'm not saying he's a dud but rather he needs to just get in there and take the tough hit ups as any good forward should because waiting for the rest of the pack to lay the platform first you might as well be waiting for Harold Holt.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we're going to make the excuse about the hooker for Thompson why aren't we extending that to Napa?
For the record I'm not saying he's a dud but rather he needs to just get in there and take the tough hit ups as any good forward should because waiting for the rest of the pack to lay the platform first you might as well be waiting for Harold Holt.
Ok.

I'm not going to judge him until he plays in a system that actually use him. I dont believe its simply him waiting, I think the system and structures are horrendous.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Ok.

I'm not going to judge him until he plays in a system that actually use him. I dont believe its simply him waiting, I think the system and structures are horrendous.
Lewis has more impact in his runs than Thompson.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You favorite coach doesnt think so
Holbrook? Didn't want to match our money and went with Tino and Fifita. In all seriousness Thompson has been underwhelming, I'm actually scared of what's going to happen from here haha.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Holbrook? Didn't want to match our money and went with Tino and Fifita. In all seriousness Thompson has been underwhelming, I'm actually scared of what's going to happen from here haha.
He still rates him.

Tbh I'm not overly impressed but used properly like the way Holbrook did hell be alright. Probably never going to live that "best porp in the world" tag down.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Can't tely on Titans for the spoon next year either by the looks of their recruitment :grinning:

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly give him an off season around some new recruits, confident players, new coaching staff and he will thrive next year. Honestly the performance on Saturday was one of the worst ive seen and hopefully Steve G gave them a dressing down because listening to the press conference they went against all things spoken about during the week. we need 2-3 more payers

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He still rates him.

Tbh I'm not overly impressed but used properly like the way Holbrook did hell be alright. Probably never going to live that "best porp in the world" tag down.
Sure he does, but he isn't worth the coin. Like i said before, if I'm paying a prop that much money I want him to be a Paulo/AFB type that will get the team rolling forward and carry defenders through the line....to pay that much for a bloke that's reliant of someone else doing that just seems crazy to me and like you're getting half a forward.

Maybe he can play on an edge? I always had that idea before he joined us as he just didn't seem that suited to consistently running through the middle in the NRL. Looks better suited to running out wide and using his pace and footwork to hit space or draw defenders. Not sure how he would go defensively though...looks like a below average defender in the middle ATM.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Holbrook even getting Proctor playing well again.
Combination of switching him to the left and freeing Taylor up and getting some good footy out of him, both of them seem to be feeding off each other.

Seriously, the fuck is this forward pack?

8. Fotuaika
10. Ese
11. Proctor
12. Fifita
13. Tino

Like what the actual fuck? Arguably the best forward pack in the game next season.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Combination of switching him to the left and freeing Taylor up and getting some good footy out of him, both of them seem to be feeding off each other.

Seriously, the fuck is this forward pack?

8. Fotuaika
10. Ese
11. Proctor
12. Fifita
13. Tino

Like what the actual fuck? Arguably the best forward pack in the game next season.
Makes me sick tbh lol

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's okay we have Thompson... :tonguewink:
Its not even that. Let's say he does become what he was in Superleague, our pack still sucks. While those guys have a pack to rival any if not be the best in the comp in one year? Makes me sick

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Its not even that. Let's say he does become what he was in Superleague, our pack still sucks. While those guys have a pack to rival any if not be the best in the comp in one year? Makes me sick
I don't even know what we do with our pack right now...RFM I prefer through the middle but may be forced to play on an edge. Jackson re-signed @700k and pretty much needs to be replaced. Napa needs to be replaced, Thompson...lol. Just seems like a mess and poor use of cap, will be reliant on the lesser players like Ogden, To'omaga, Topine, etc stepping up and lifting us back because the senior guys sure as shit aren't going to do it.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He wasnt a standout on the wkend but who was.. Done well first few wks though considering hes just out of quarantine..