Opinion Has Thompson been a flop or does he need better halves to work with?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Where has this 800k figure come from. Surely the club isn't that dumb to have paid that much for him. I highly doubt that figure is correct. 600-700k I'd believe but not 800.

We'll never actually know the exact figures, but all we have to go off are reports. The second article actually reports 850k ("The Bulldogs recently won a six-club bidding war for Thompson, paying a whopping $850,000 a season to secure his services for three years from 2021.").

A ~800k player has to perform regardless of the conditions. It comes with the price tag. If Thompson was on ~500k it'd be different.

Last edited:

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He hasn't played all season till now due to covid. It was always going to be largely beneficial to us for him to come over and essentially become far more match fit ready plus the pre season into next then without it. I wouldn't read too much into it this year

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Thompson is just a fast Tolman that can't tackle.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think you’ll be eating your words re Ogden next season. He’s actually going ok with his limited opportunities this year.
I hope I am wrong but I think hes a one good game out of 4 kinda guy.

well done

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He is losing his motivation really fast, we promised him a strong side to play in, and he has found out we are a rabble of a club

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
lol
have you seen the cattle around him.
Have you seen the ball hes been getting form Lewis
We dont even have a coach at present.
And he is one of our better players after never having played in the nrl, travelling form covid ridden uk, self trainning in iso etc.
How many dumb mistakes has he made? fuck all.
Can’t imagine what was going through the poor bastard’s mind after watching
Lewis,Jackson and Tolman do their thing yesterday

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Thompson is shit house, you lot need to stop deluding yourself into thinking he's anything other than that...it simply isn't good for your health.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
That was quick.

Calling a guy who has played 5 games this year in a wooden spoon side shit.

We could sign the Australian team and you guys would want to sack them after the first loss.
Exactly, people slagging him don't get back on the wagon when he gets utilised properly.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought to play prop but not doing that. Instead playing with a team of deadshits who are embarrassing the jersey, club and fans weekly

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nah locks different now. A few years ago it was middles. But now you have the likes of Radley and Murray who aren't your traditional middle forward of a few years ago, when the lock was basically a third prop. Neither is Elliot for us.

If there was no difference why havnt they put any of the other props there?

I agree with you somewhat, but I think its hes being used terribly more than anything. A terrible structure that revolves around plodders like Napa and Tolman.

I dont care they're paying him either, 1 dollar or a million, just use him correctly.
There's different styles of locks like Radley and Murray but Carrigan, Finucane, Ese'ese, Glasby, Brown, Liu, etc can and have all played prop before. In any case, let's compare him to other locks
Taumalolo: avg 223m per game
Trbojevic: avg 136m per game
Carrigan: avg 145m per game
Yeo: avg 144m per game
Brown: avg 157m per game
Matt Eisenhuth: avg 115m per game
Mitch Barnett: avg 114m per game
Arrow: avg 125m per game
Finucane: avg 123m per game
Thompson: avg 102m per game

Not sure about you but when we paid 700-800k for him we'd expect someone with abit better production than Matthew Eisenhuth

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Myself and a few others got shot down when we weren't happy he is playing this year with these shit c***s.
Nothing much will be changing going into next year. We aren't about to pull out a set of new halves, a dynamic Hooker or a skilful fullback out of our ass. The team you see now is what we will have next season plus Cotric and maybe another prop, less maybe Elliot. That's it. Get used to it.

NovaScotiaDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I’m not sure we have seen the best of any of the roster. I will reserve judgement until we get an experienced coach with quality people around him who can create unity and an attacking structure that we can be proud of. Then and only then will know who is who in the zoo.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Nothing much will be changing going into next year. We aren't about to pull out a set of new halves, a dynamic Hooker or a skilful fullback out of our ass. The team you see now is what we will have next season plus Cotric and maybe another prop, less maybe Elliot. That's it. Get used to it.
No pay so it already be a better team next year

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s been very good but he needs a better forward pack to run off than what we currently have. He’s been solid in defence and takes on the line strongly but others around him are playing to much one out stuff with no real go forward. Napa should be released from the last year of his contract. Offer Foran 300K for one more season, if he doesn’t like it he can retire or piss off to Newcastle. Montoya shouldn’t be in first grade. He’s a liability. I actually though feel somewhat sorry for him as our team selectors seem to be treating team selection as a joke by having him in the side. Thompson is one of the very few shining lights we’ve seen this season and he’ll only get better behind a bigger, faster and stronger pack.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's different styles of locks like Radley and Murray but Carrigan, Finucane, Ese'ese, Glasby, Brown, Liu, etc can and have all played prop before. In any case, let's compare him to other locks

Not sure about you but when we paid 700-800k for him we'd expect someone with abit better production than Matthew Eisenhuth
Lol you're serious going to compare him with players who have had a preseason.

Take that into account and his numbers don't look bad at all. How about the props they play after, are they the same caliber as the slow poke Napa and Tolman?

You say it's because he is waiting for a time to run, I say because the structure sucks as does the coach and he isnt used right.

Ill judge him when he's actually had a preseason and when the coach doesn't make him third banana to Tolman and Napa. We'll have to waitnuntil next year but I'll bet you anything that Barret won't have him playing short stints or in a structure that has him running taking the third or forth carry.

I dont care about price or money, I leave that to you and others on here.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Id like to see that list with the props they play with tbh, see if its an even playing field. I bet it isn't lol. Oh throw in the hooker while you're at it, hookers play a part in how they bring forwards onto the ball.

I wonder if they're playing behind the likes of super Tolman and quicksand Crapa or getting shit ball from JMK or Katoa who don't engage the markers nothing.

Last edited: