HAS DES GOT THE MESSAGE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
T

I agree, The knee injury that kept J Morris out for most of last season will never allow him to dominate at fullback again,
Just look at the semifinal last year .
brett morris

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am confident that the team will change its game plan and structure
This year,we completely lost our way in the last rounds of 2016.
Even though we qaulified for the finals
Never looked a chance of challenging top teams.
It must have been a real concern for Des and coaching staff.
We are a better team and club than that.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Believe what u like.. but Des is making changes is what Ive heard from reliable sources

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I've frequented Belmore Training sessions recently and I havne't seen Des at all...

Doggies2035

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I would like to see brenko with tyrone Phillips this year on the wing cause josh Morris seems like a defensive centre and Brett the speedster plus work very well together. As for brenko lee I reckon he will have a good year with us and leave other supporters and raiders scratching there head as to why they let him go and as for abbey bring him in like Ben barba put him on the bench let him do his game gain confidence and then when ready have a full time starting spot

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Des needs to unleash Mbye, Reynolds and Lichaa. Reynolds needs to take on more responsibility and age like fine wine in the halves.

if we splash the cash and make a key signing in the spine we can win the comp. Still have doubts over the ability of the spine to perform in pressure matches, they choke or go missing.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Everybody says Des is a smart coach but I'm starting to wonder if that's a myth. He had great teams at Manly. Abbey is the only option at fullback, Hoppa too slow and has Sundays off, B Moz too injury prone.

gibbobulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Do any of you actually no des or just like bad mouthing him cause it makes you feel better???

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that comment of his concerned me... we beat teams we SHOULD have beaten and failed to fire against most of the better sides.

Exactly..... I'm entering the 2017 season "glass half full".

We will either do well, or do shit. Last year was a disappointment, so either it'll be same same, or an improvement.

To me though, Des is too good a coach (and if people think he's stubborn his ego won't let him fail) to simply toss in the towel and get sacked (which is precisely what will happen if the team don't fire this season).

Re the backline... I can't see Des leaving Hoppa at fullback with his lack of dedication and Sundays off. Fullback is becomming an integral position for getting points on the board. Only way I see that changing is with medical advice that his (Bmoz) knees won't cope with the impact of jumping and running all the time. Hoppa is a temp fullback.... and looked shaky a few times this season. We simply cannot afford to have a part timer in the #1 jersey... it creates too much disruption.

ALTHOUGH there are a few dark horses in all this. Reimis Smith, Brad Abbey, Richard Kennar, Brenko Lee, Chase Stanley, Tom Carr. All will get a run in the Nines I hope, and quite a few of them are capable of playing fullback need be.
As stubborn as he is I agree he can deliver ...his ego has taken a hit and he will be out to silence the critics

I see us making the finals regardless under Des but the new structures if they exist will determine how far we go from there

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Today on the Bulldogs web page Jimmy dymock has declared that the dogs are working on
1. new structure in offence
2. new look team
3. high fitness level
Adding to that he quoted we have tinkered with the offence a little bit.
Could that mean
1. M. Mbye
6. J. Reynolds
7. J. Cleeland/M. Frawley
12. J. Morris
or
1. B. Abbey
6. M. Mbye
7. J. Reynolds
12. J. Morris
Your thoughts ?
I'd love to know what process you went through to come to that conclusion.

Last edited:

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We have to remember, he's won grand finals at Manly as a player and as a coach he built a team of young no bodies to win it twice.
I know he's gone wrong with us but I am sure the guy is smart enough to realize that or at least I'm hoping.
We have to remember he signed tolman for another 3 seasons

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
I have very little faith that we will change our structure. Last year we looked like we had early on but under fatigue and as the games/round went on we slipped back into our all too familiar habits.
Unfortunately Graham has become our Gallen and tries to get his hands on the ball whenever we are in their attacking zone. He kills our momentum far too often. Unless Mbye has the balls to tell him to get out of the fucking way and support from the coach to do so that won't change.

Let's not forget our early exit in round 1 of the finals in 2013 against the Knights we had 4 or 5 repeat sets on their line and couldn't score. (If memory serve me correctly they only had 12 men for some of those sets). Our problem with our structure and attack is nothing new and after that game Des promised us he'd be going back to the drawing board the very next day to fix the problem.

Here we are 3 years later and nothing has changed except for the fact that Hasler is probably already negotiating a deal for next year somewhere else and therefor has no reason to implement any change at all.

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Excited to crank out my Game of Tyrones banner...
Use upside down h for the y...

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd love to know what process you went through to come to that conclusion.
Facts are we need a fullback B. Morris is the answer no more,
If Abbey isn't ready the first option has to be the solution, and if he is then the second option is, never the less J. Morris is too slow for a center unless he miraculously added some speed on in the off season, I wouldn't mind experimenting with Reynolds and Mbye swapping at halves.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know time and game have changed but at the end of 1978
We lost 9 players to Newtown, 1 to Cronulla and 2 retired
Up came the reserve grade team, played the grand final narrowly missing being premiers 1979
then became premiers 1980
Can't loose faith !
Thats Canterbury, great culture, plenty of fight and desire, we want the 2017 side to watch the 1980 GF and see who's jersey's they are wearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.