Has anyone here owned a Rescue Dog bought at a Pound?

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi folks.

On Sunday night our beautiful American Staffi (Sadie) passed away aged 11.

There is a huge hole in our house and hearts now and every time I turn around she is not there like she usually is. At 67 years of age and my wife 64 we are not going to get a puppy that could outlive us.

Has anyone here ever bought a rescue dog from a pound at say 4 to 5 years of age and gave it a loving life? Another staffi would not work as it would be a constant reminder of our best friend that Sadie was. We are thinking of either a Labrador or Golden Retriever.

My apologies if I have put this thread in the wrong area.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Firstly, sorry for your loss.

I have a "rescue" dog, a Jack Russell Terrier (mostly) who was about 4 when we met and we've had almost 9 great years together.

I got him from a shelter (Monikas Doggie Rescue) who rescues dogs from pounds, mostly smaller breeds. There was a bit of a process, including a questionnaire about how active I was, if I had kids, how big my yard was etc to try and find a good match. Then was given a short list and went out there one afternoon to take them for a brief walk.

I took three out and none of them seemed to click (one even tried to bite me). I was about to go home when a little mongrel came bounding out and into mt heart. For me it was the old urge of "you don't choose them, they choose you".

When it comes to rescue dogs, you have to remember that you often don't know anything about their pasts, including whether they are abused etc. Some will have things like anxiety from being left on their own. If you have little kids especially its something to think about But for me it's has been a great experience. My dog has gone from being a companion to a single man to embrace Mrs CD and later our kids.

A little puppy is cute but it just wasn't for me. For you not only do puppies live long, they are also often very high energy! A breed that people don't often think about it greyhounds, but they sirprisingly have very low energy needs and they are plenty of ex racing dogs on death row.

All the best with it.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hi folks.

There is a huge hole in our house and hearts now and every time I turn around she is not there like she usually is. At 67 years of age and my wife 64 we are not going to get a puppy that could outlive us.

Has anyone here ever bought a rescue dog from a pound at say 4 to 5 years of age and gave it a loving life? Another staffi would not work as it would be a constant reminder of our best friend that Sadie was. We are thinking of either a Labrador or Golden Retriever.

I've never adopted a rescue dog. But that's largely because I'm generally working too much to devote enough hours in a day to them. It's a very nice thing to do for a dog to give it a second chance at a quality life. A couple of people I know have rescue dogs. One of them took a couple of months to feel really safe. They worried at first that they couldn't give it the happiness it deserved. But now it's a really loyal and loving lap dog and spoiled rotten. The other one apparently chose his new family and was instantly at home with them. So while it might be a hard road with some, they'll eventually work out that they're in good hands.

And my stepfather owned and raced greyhounds. He kept almost every one he raced until they passed of old age. But as Croydon dog said they're not a high energy dog. They're typically very gentle in spite of what many people might think after seeing them chase a lure.

And sorry to hear you lost your four legged friend. Dogs become part of the family and it can be devastating to watch them grow old and pass away.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts cd.

Our kids are well and truly grown up and our 1st grandchild is due in March.

A lot of what you say makes sense. I have owned several dogs in my 60+ years and enjoy the love and company they have given my wife and myself. But all have been raised from puppies which I believe is not the go at our age.

Your experience sounds interesting and I will keep that in mind.

As for a greyhound I part owned one that won the Futurity at Wentworth Park. It drew box 1 for the one and only time and used it well to beat the champion Winifred Bale.

Thanks again.
Glenn

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I've never adopted a rescue dog. But that's largely because I'm generally working too much to devote enough hours in a day to them. It's a very nice thing to do for a dog to give it a second chance at a quality life. A couple of people I know have rescue dogs. One of them took a couple of months to feel really safe. They worried at first that they couldn't give it the happiness it deserved. But now it's a really loyal and loving lap dog and spoiled rotten. The other one apparently chose his new family and was instantly at home with them. So while it might be a hard road with some, they'll eventually work out that they're in good hands.

And my stepfather owned and raced greyhounds. He kept almost every one he raced until they passed of old age. But as Croydon dog said they're not a high energy dog. They're typically very gentle in spite of what many people might think after seeing them chase a lure.

And sorry to hear you lost your four legged friend. Dogs become part of the family and it can be devastating to watch them grow old and pass away.

Thanks Alan. I have a gut feeling that you and I met up one night at the Showground. From the old egroups mailing list days
Glenn

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts cd.

Our kids are well and truly grown up and our 1st grandchild is due in March.

A lot of what you say makes sense. I have owned several dogs in my 60+ years and enjoy the love and company they have given my wife and myself. But all have been raised from puppies which I believe is not the go at our age.

Your experience sounds interesting and I will keep that in mind.

As for a greyhound I part owned one that won the Futurity at Wentworth Park. It drew box 1 for the one and only time and used it well to beat the champion Winifred Bale.

Thanks again.
Glenn
I only have second hand info, but what I have agrees very much with what CD said. From what people I know have told me, it seems like part of the key is to find the right shelters. If you go to a shelter and they aren't really interested, probably just leave and don't come back. If instead they seem to be analysing you and working out what makes a good fit, it seems to be a good indication that they've worked on their rescue dogs pretty well to prepare them for adoption into a family home. Hence they care where their dogs end up.

The other thing I hear is take your time, enjoy the process, go several places, check a decent number of dogs. I reckon I will do this process myself for sure when I retire, hope to be in a position to take on several rescues if I can.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I only have second hand info, but what I have agrees very much with what CD said. From what people I know have told me, it seems like part of the key is to find the right shelters. If you go to a shelter and they aren't really interested, probably just leave and don't come back. If instead they seem to be analysing you and working out what makes a good fit, it seems to be a good indication that they've worked on their rescue dogs pretty well to prepare them for adoption into a family home. Hence they care where their dogs end up.

The other thing I hear is take your time, enjoy the process, go several places, check a decent number of dogs. I reckon I will do this process myself for sure when I retire, hope to be in a position to take on several rescues if I can.
Thanks for your thoughts Psycho Doggies.

Good luck if you follow a similar path to me.
Glenn.

QLDdogsfan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hi folks.

My Condolences mate, my Wife and I adopted our cattle dog from our local RSPCA up here on the Sunshine Coast she has been a brilliant dog mate she's 9 now, we had a few little dramas at the very start bit of kennel cough but other then that it was a great process, and to be honest you get a real sense of pride knowing you have helped a dog in need and potentially saved it from a less desirable home/outcome. We have a one year old son now and our Cattle is great with him little stand offish at the start but now she's a great protector.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My Condolences mate, my Wife and I adopted our cattle dog from our local RSPCA up here on the Sunshine Coast she has been a brilliant dog mate she's 9 now, we had a few little dramas at the very start bit of kennel cough but other then that it was a great process, and to be honest you get a real sense of pride knowing you have helped a dog in need and potentially saved it from a less desirable home/outcome. We have a one year old son now and our Cattle is great with him little stand offish at the start but now she's a great protector.
Another great positive story QLDdogsfan.

I am impressed and grateful for the quality of the replies. Bit different to some of the rubbish we see when talking about our beloved team.

Let's hope 21 is the start of our resurgence but I think 22 might be better.
Glenn

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks Alan. I have a gut feeling that you and I met up one night at the Showground. From the old egroups mailing list days
Glenn
I'm not sure if it's me you're thinking of. I can only recall meeting one kenneler to watch a game with and that was a chinese girl. That's in Sydney though. If you're talking about the Armidale showground it's more likely. I used to hang around with a couple of kennelers and dogs fans through a fellow that used to post here as MrCharisma (commonly known as Magro to those who knew him in person).

But It's good that you're looking to get another pooch. You can never replace the bond you've had with past dogs. But through my life I've had three dogs and I wouldn't opt out of having had them in my life if I had the choice.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's me you're thinking of. I can only recall meeting one kenneler to watch a game with and that was a chinese girl. That's in Sydney though. If you're talking about the Armidale showground it's more likely. I used to hang around with a couple of kennelers and dogs fans through a fellow that used to post here as MrCharisma (commonly known as Magro to those who knew him in person).

But It's good that you're looking to get another pooch. You can never replace the bond you've had with past dogs. But through my life I've had three dogs and I wouldn't opt out of having had them in my life if I had the choice.
Thanks mate. I was talking about the new Sydney showground. Must be a different Alan. He was on the Bulldogs@egroups.com email list.

Glenn.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good thread, you can always check the rescue pound to see if you like one, theyre all characters.
Save a dog this week, thats an order.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Not sure how many Labrador’s would be on rescue lists but if you can find one they are a great natured dog. But just some sort of bits of this bits of that dog if you hit it off will be a great companion. Also mate you only live once if you want a puppy get a puppy.. I actually now am certain you should just get a puppy. They are so much fun..

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
When my last dog had to be put down I swore I'd never get another one. One day I was going over Facebook and the local vet had a picture of an older dog with the caption if anyone wants him it has to be by 5pm. Looked at my watch and it was about 4 and I thought nobody is going to take that poor old bugger. I put my hand up and it was one of the best calls I ever made.

I think he may have been treated poorly and he really didn't like being around men at all. The slightest sound and he would just run. We live on a farm and I'd have to jump on the bike and after him, usually he'd get about half a kilometre away before I caught up with him. Thank goodness he stuck to the road. After a while he settled in and now he thinks he owns the place. It's been over two and a half years and I couldn't imagine him not being around. He's as loyal a mate as anyone could ask for and it's really heartbreaking to think what may have happened to him had I not just been wasting time on Facebook. If anyone is looking for a dog don't count the old fellas out.
received_3004563432943010.jpg

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi folks.

Sorry to hear about your loss, dogs leave a huge hole in your family when they go.

I'm onto my second rescue dog. The first was with us for 13 years and was my sons best friend, the best alarm system I've ever seen and a notorious farter, Tobes could clear a room faster than a dropped grenade. I held his head as we put him down.

Our second is Minx, she's 50% stupid and 50% ignorant, would happily help you rob the joint as long as you play ball first.

You and your wife still have a lot to give a rescue dog and all three of you will benefit, go for it.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss, dogs leave a huge hole in your family when they go.

I'm onto my second rescue dog. The first was with us for 13 years and was my sons best friend, the best alarm system I've ever seen and a notorious farter, Tobes could clear a room faster than a dropped grenade. I held his head as we put him down.

Our second is Minx, she's 50% stupid and 50% ignorant, would happily help you rob the joint as long as you play ball first.

You and your wife still have a lot to give a rescue dog and all three of you will benefit, go for it.
Thanks for your post Kambahone. Well written and good feedback. You're right we have a lot of love to give to a suitable dog that needs it.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got a rescue dog many years ago from the RSPCA. She was a 2 year old Fox Terrier x Chihuahua. She was very quiet and timid compared to other dogs there and when they let her out she virtually jump straight in my lap, so I couldn't help but take her. She was a very loyal and loving dog up until her last days 11 years later.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good idea to save a dog, your head is in right place.

Dont discount another staffi.. it's a different dog.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I own one currently, He is a sensational dog, very loyal and protective.some bastard nearly starved him to death then just tied him up out the front of the pound and fucked off.

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
My parents did this.
Trained it to be a killer in case they get broken into as they live in a rough area.

Are you looking for a show of hands or is there something you want to know?

If you want advice I suggest go for it.
Most dogs in the pound are destined for the Kevorkian needle or bait dog for Ali’s dog fighting racket.
So you’d be doing a wonderful service getting one of you have the right intentions.
Try not to go for the prettiest dog because they are most likely to survive by being bought elsewhere,
Follow your gut.