Opinion Has anyone got any news on how the Bulldogs players have been going in the off season?

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don’t think you can believe what you read.
Most ‘training the house down’ quotes are just propaganda and PR to pump up fans.
If I’m wrong about that then the other truth is that it doesn’t mean much come game day because many ‘good trainers’ fizzle out. I’ve been seeing this pattern for a decade.
I saw this guy ask a rockape question to Gus on Twitter a few weeks back which made me lol.
He said ‘Gus does Read Mahoney do good in training?’ and apart from the sentence structure funniness I just thought you’ll never hear Gus say ‘look he’s 50/50, he does well but came late the other week. He is doing good on his skills training but sluggish on the beep test’ or anything.
The answer will always be positive or with an agenda in mind.
This is why I want to see raw, unedited footage of them training. Not the Instagram stuff they post with hectic background music and split second shots of some player stretching then next scene a player grounds the ball at training,some half kicks a ball(we don't even see the type of result of kick), next shot shows us a player sweating, next shot they're all laughs. And we have no clue what we just watched.
Even a 3-5 min unedited amateur video footage of them training can tell us ALOT more then the bs a paid or some video producer trying to establish themself doing a hectic video on discount for the Bulldogs.

You properly get to see mannerisms, the way they get along, who hangs with who, physicals, who's relaxed but focused at training, etc.
You don't want to see too many jokers and vice versa, just a nice balance.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wish I could just weekly rock up to training, take a 3-5 min footage and post here.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Alomoti has been doing heaps of extras even after they broke for xmas
He lives close to a mate and has seen him everyday with a crop of other footy players doing extras and laps around the block

imo he’s $1.05 to become the permanent centre by mid season
Im hoping he does!
The big question is can he play left centre at nrl level he is better on the right but we have Kiraz on that side.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is why I want to see raw, unedited footage of them training. Not the Instagram stuff they post with hectic background music and split second shots of some player stretching then next scene a player grounds the ball at training,some half kicks a ball(we don't even see the type of result of kick), next shot shows us a player sweating, next shot they're all laughs. And we have no clue what we just watched.
Even a 3-5 min unedited amateur video footage of them training can tell us ALOT more then the bs a paid or some video producer trying to establish themself doing a hectic video on discount for the Bulldogs.

You properly get to see mannerisms, the way they get along, who hangs with who, physicals, who's relaxed but focused at training, etc.
Couldnt agree more. Every vid last 2 years is the same, just promo.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

For someone who makes it to training a few times a year, 95% of what you can see at pre season training is a boring as bat shit, hours in the gym (which I have only managed to watch a few times) working on individual player specifics which the coaching staff have identified and you don't know about. They often show stretching and flexibility exercises because they actually do lots of them, mind numbing like watching male yoga classes (female yoga classes can at least be interesting). Often 100's of reps where unless you have a counter you have no idea of who's doing what, endless laps around the park, up and own the grandstand stairs. Split into ever changing groups that don't make sense unless you have the inside info on why this player is training with that player. Repetitions, after repetitions, on top of repetitions, honestly the pre season is pretty boring and would make very poor video watching.

One thing definitely, they absolutely aren't going to show opposed session with the squad when they start later in the pre season, where they practise plays, that's just stupid.

Always a Bulldog

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well I want to see how they are, even with the "boring" crap and repetitive stuff.

Most of us will know what a professional work environment is like, let alone a team sport environment, professional one that is. I know what it takes to be an elite athlete, I wont be cut out for it mentally and physically but I trust these guys are pumped and ready to run through a brick wall and train like it's their one chance at glory. A lot of us done and/or do this for no money playing amateur sport.

A bit of regular cheap and 'real' footage to see what's going on isn't a tough ask, benefits the fans, juniors, stakeholders.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For someone who makes it to training a few times a year, 95% of what you can see at pre season training is a boring as bat shit, hours in the gym (which I have only managed to watch a few times) working on individual player specifics which the coaching staff have identified and you don't know about. They often show stretching and flexibility exercises because they actually do lots of them, mind numbing like watching male yoga classes (female yoga classes can at least be interesting). Often 100's of reps where unless you have a counter you have no idea of who's doing what, endless laps around the park, up and own the grandstand stairs. Split into ever changing groups that don't make sense unless you have the inside info on why this player is training with that player. Repetitions, after repetitions, on top of repetitions, honestly the pre season is pretty boring and would make very poor video watching.

One thing definitely, they absolutely aren't going to show opposed session with the squad when they start later in the pre season, where they practise plays, that's just stupid.

Always a Bulldog
What about engagement with its supporter base?
There are members that live outside of Sydney. I dont think its too much to ask the Club (who is part of a billion dollar industry) to share and engage with its supporters.
So obviously I dont know how this shit works.
Does a Club need to run everything by the NRL before it releases footage?
Is it simply too much to have someone head of media that can bring in say Uni students looking for work experience, volunteers, hectic fanatical dogs supporters that want to get involved etc to put together a format for media releases to its supporter base?
Didnt the Broncos have a half our show on the weekends a couple of years back?
I watch alot of stuff on youtube and people produce awesome content on the smell of a rag these days. These are 1 man shows.
Why cant we be leaders in the field, think outside the box and give fans something to look forward to on a weekly basis?
What am I missing?

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah those are always slick propaganda films with a Tongan rapper always. I think it’s some hectic using the dogs for some CV stuff.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Interesting… they may opt for Kiraz in the centres to partner Alamoti or Burns, JAC being the other winger of course. That is unless CC is looking to go with Hayze Perham (centre/wing) or Okunbur (wing).
Hayze perham will not be playing centre unless injury decimates every centre at the club
Alomoti preferred side is right centre and Cameron knows this

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
FMD I'm going to need to take annaul leave to read all this.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Perham will get a shot at Fullback, his been bought to be a 1

MachoMan

Waterboy
Reaction score
Hey does anyone know what day training starts. I was going to head down to Belmore and ill let you know If I see anything.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hey does anyone know what day training starts. I was going to head down to Belmore and ill let you know If I see anything.
I think it's Wednesday this week

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
ive been told they are having cooking classes to help them eat better lol.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Tomorrow.

Personally I'm going to wait until later in the week, the first day back after Xmas is often "benchmark day" where each player is measured and tested and from there their personal targets are established.

Always a Bulldog