Official Harold Matthews and SG Ball register wins as season approaches

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs Harold Matthews and SG Ball teams continued their pre-season preparation on Friday with trial matches against the Manly Sea Eagles at Terry Lamb Complex.

With the junior representative competitions kicking off in February, both sides ramped up their preparations against the Sea Eagles before a final trial against the Parramatta Eels next week.
Both teams gave a number of triallists for both sides plenty of game time and the line-ups were changed throughout the day.

The Harold Matthews game was played across four 20-minute quarters with the Bulldogs claiming a five tries to four victory.

Manly led by three tries to one at halftime, before talented centre Paul Alamoti led a Bulldogs fightback in the second half.

Alamoti grabbed two tries, including a length of the field intercept, while a try right on fulltime gave the Dogs the victory.
The SG Ball fixture was played over three 25-minute intervals in a match that saw Canterbury record a six-tries to five victory.

Manly dominated the opening stages of the match with three early tries, before the Dogs grabbed one at the end of the first interval.

The Sea Eagles extended their lead before young half Joseph Williams crashed over the line to register the Bulldogs second try of the day.

The final 25 minutes was dominated by Canterbury to give the Dogs a six-tries to five victory.
Next week will see both sides play the Eels in a final hit out and give coaches an additional opportunity to see the talented players they have at their disposal before the competition kicks off on February 8.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs Harold Matthews and SG Ball teams continued their pre-season preparation on Friday with trial matches against the Manly Sea Eagles at Terry Lamb Complex.

With the junior representative competitions kicking off in February, both sides ramped up their preparations against the Sea Eagles before a final trial against the Parramatta Eels next week.
Both teams gave a number of triallists for both sides plenty of game time and the line-ups were changed throughout the day.

The Harold Matthews game was played across four 20-minute quarters with the Bulldogs claiming a five tries to four victory.

Manly led by three tries to one at halftime, before talented centre Paul Alamoti led a Bulldogs fightback in the second half.

Alamoti grabbed two tries, including a length of the field intercept, while a try right on fulltime gave the Dogs the victory.
The SG Ball fixture was played over three 25-minute intervals in a match that saw Canterbury record a six-tries to five victory.

Manly dominated the opening stages of the match with three early tries, before the Dogs grabbed one at the end of the first interval.

The Sea Eagles extended their lead before young half Joseph Williams crashed over the line to register the Bulldogs second try of the day.

The final 25 minutes was dominated by Canterbury to give the Dogs a six-tries to five victory.
Next week will see both sides play the Eels in a final hit out and give coaches an additional opportunity to see the talented players they have at their disposal before the competition kicks off on February 8.
Thanks very much mate

Life_of_League

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

I thought our SG were down at the end of the game. Scoreboard read 20-24 to Manly.
Was honestly thinking the squad had no hope over the first 2 quarters. No real structure out there.
Fitness levels for a lot of the boys is worrying. You could see many haven’t done any extras.
Hopefully trial game against Parra will be a good run for them. Thinking surely they would have done their cuts so that they can have a run as a final squad.

Last edited:

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought our SG were down at the end of the game. Scoreboard read 20-24 to Manly.
Was honestly thinking the squad had no hope over the first 2 quarters. No real structure out there.
Fitness levels for a lot of the boys is worrying. You could see many haven’t done any extras.
Hopefully trial game against Parra will be a good run for them. Thinking surely they would have done their cuts so that they can have a run as a final squad.
I agree with you - I thought Manly won. There was a huge difference in fitness / strength between the squad that played the first 2 quarters and the third quarter - apparently there are another 6 or 7 players who were not involved in the trial. The third quarter was encouraging.

Life_of_League

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree with you - I thought Manly won. There was a huge difference in fitness / strength between the squad that played the first 2 quarters and the third quarter - apparently there are another 6 or 7 players who were not involved in the trial. The third quarter was encouraging.
6 or 7 from the Bulldogs not involved?. Would be good to know who they are. The boys that did preseason with the 20’s I know played. That is a lot of boys missing for a trial so close to the season.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Good to see Alomoti being mentioned as one of our standouts.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
6 or 7 from the Bulldogs not involved?. Would be good to know who they are. The boys that did preseason with the 20’s I know played. That is a lot of boys missing for a trial so close to the season.
There were a few non starters sitting with the playing squad only one I recognised was Diego B Graham - none seemed injured (not in moonboots etc) - who did pre season with the 20s? Person who told me that so many weren't going to play was surprised as well but expected all to play in Parra trial.

Life_of_League

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There were a few non starters sitting with the playing squad only one I recognised was Diego B Graham - none seemed injured (not in moonboots etc) - who did pre season with the 20s? Person who told me that so many weren't going to play was surprised as well but expected all to play in Parra trial.
Diego is injured. Got injured at the 20’s trial game against Penrith. He should be ready to play round 2. Danny(Hooker), Lipoi(Second row), Loui(Wing),Khalid(halves),Compton(centre but played fullback start of third quarter), Lomi(second row) and Diego. Faga was doing preseason with 20’s but was dropped back down to SG preseason. These boys named weren’t meant to have much game time, but because the first two quarters weren’t too good, they played more, is what I’m hearing.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Diego is injured. Got injured at the 20’s trial game against Penrith. He should be ready to play round 2. Danny(Hooker), Lipoi(Second row), Loui(Wing),Khalid(halves),Compton(centre but played fullback start of third quarter), Lomi(second row) and Diego. Faga was doing preseason with 20’s but was dropped back down to SG preseason. These boys named weren’t meant to have much game time, but because the first two quarters weren’t too good, they played more, is what I’m hearing.
Danny G was good again - the half Khalid has a great passing game.
First quarter was very poor - 2nd quarter seemed a little better - once the strong squad came on they dominated. 4th quarter a mixed bag

Life_of_League

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just heard trial games against Parra are not going ahead. Second hand info, so will wait for official word.

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like a staff member who was good at communicating junior updates has left the club.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Looks like a staff member who was good at communicating junior updates has left the club.

they hardly gave us decent updates anyway

I get most inside info off the parents and siblings

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Fuck I hope we keep alamoti long term. Kids a gun!
Him wakeham topine are the bulldogs future!

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Alamoti still playing Harold Matt’s... was hoping he’d play 20s this year.