News Harawira-Naera reportedly released

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If this is indeed true... who are we getting in return? What player are we landing mid-season to accommodate this?

So help me God if it is no one .... i'm going to write a letter!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Seriously punishing players for indiscretions by clubs is becoming a joke and only benefits other clubs.

All player indiscretions should be handled directly by the NRL integrity unit to stop this bullshit happening again
But then how would Souffs be able to conduct their own corrupt independent investigations

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
If the dogs let him go then seriously they are pathetic!
No point keeping him if he doesn't want to commit to the club. We'd just be tying up good money on a waste of space - and we have enough of them already.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly . We get zero benefit by releasing him this year . Zero zero fuckin zero
We do actually get something, we free up his Cap space, say, $300k to $400K and this year that is our single biggest problem. So now we have until 3 August to spend that freed up cap space. The bonus is we can spend that $300k to $400K on a player for 6 months so it's effectively an $800k per year player, or 2 x $400k players etc.

Obviously having Cap space is only worth something if we can recruit the player/s, but there are a few pommies with itchy feet looking for an NRL gig. And we can offer them the rest of the year plus a 3 year contract , which worked for securing Thompson.

Go Dogs

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Its absurd!

Tallis sat out a year at the Dragons and coped it on the chin, yet this clown is kicking stones for a monumental fuck up he created.

Goes to show how today's generation is "very special" and soft as butter
that’s why the poms do so well here most of them still have some integrity

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you know that a brick layer earns 50% more than a degree qualified engineer with 20 years experience?
Yes I do, but they don't have very long working lives and they are often physically farked at an early age.

Go Dogs

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
He never really liked the club and didn't want to be here. Plus he's a kiddie fiddler so fuck him we can get someone better.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Interestingly Corey has actually unfollowed the raiders on his instagram and still follows the bulldogs, however I’m not sure that means anything.
Everyone got wind of it before an official announcement. So I'd say his manager got on the blower and told him to change it to salvage some rep.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We do actually get something, we free up his Cap space, say, $300k to $400K and this year that is our single biggest problem. So now we have until 3 August to spend that freed up cap space. The bonus is we can spend that $300k to $400K on a player for 6 months so it's effectively an $800k per year player, or 2 x $400k players etc.

Obviously having Cap space is only worth something if we can recruit the player/s, but there are a few pommies with itchy feet looking for an NRL gig. And we can offer them the rest of the year plus a 3 year contract , which worked for securing Thompson.

Go Dogs
No no no

Who are we going to get of similar ability within the next 2 weeks ????

Players get paid from November 1 so it’s not $400k at all . More like $100k

Unless there was a player swap we got fucked (again)

Not sure how you can’t see that

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
End of the day, if he stayed his attitude would weigh on the the playing group. He fucked up, we fucked him, he'll likely fuck us ...

Wait, where am I going with this??

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The Raiders are also signing the young Brisbane backrower (starts with B?) on load for the rest of the season.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No no no
Who are we going to get of similar ability within the next 2 weeks ????
Players get paid from November 1 so it’s not $400k at all . More like $100k
Unless there was a player swap we got fucked (again)
Not sure how you can’t see that
No no no back.
From what I have heard Canbra are paying his full year's contract. Part of the deal releasing him immediately.

Go Dogs

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you may be missing the fact that a lawyer, doctor, accountant etc has ~40 years after they graduate to earn $big, an NRL player has maybe ~10 years after they "graduate". So they have to maximise their earnings for that short period of time, because after that the vast majority of them have nothing much to earn an income from. A %couple end up in the media somewhere, a %couple end up coaching, in administration etc and the rest may have used their "education" payments to actually set themselves up for a career after football. The 90% end up driving trucks, cleaning up garbage, laying bricks or digging ditches. I don't begrudge a professional sportsperson earning while they can, because it doesn't last that long.

Go Dogs
You're obviously not aware that this country has the highest labour cost of the developed world. That's why manufacturing is virtually dead in this country. Do you know why Toyota, Ford and Holden closed down? I left engineering 20 years ago because I saw the trend. A brick layer working full time earns 170k per year. My engineer friend was the Principal Engineer for the largest engineering firm in this country and he had to manage a team of 12 engineers including 3 PhD's and win tenders to bring money in for the company. He worked on multi billion dollar projects and his salary was less then 120k per year. You ignore the fact that rugby players of the past pre 1990 were earning order of magnitudes less than today's players even taking into account inflation and most of them had trade qualifications plumbers, sparky etc.
Most of them didn't behave like spoilt brats like today's NRL players and very few of them went around getting wasted or smashing guys in clubs, bars or bashing their wives/gf, molesting women like some very high profile players of today's era. There is NOTHING to stop today's players earning trade qualifications but too many of them spend their spare time on playstation and instagram. A large number of them are a bunch of lazy, big babies compared to the players of the 70's and 80's.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just put okunbor in the back row, that was his position before he randomly filled in on the wing. Runs hard, good speed could be a gun back rower