News Harawira-Naera: Please write Canterbury off

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bulldogs recruit Corey Harawira-Naera says he couldn't be happier his new club is the bookmakers' favourite to nab the wooden spoon.

The ex-Panthers second-rower, who has taken new coach Dean Pay aside to ask for a chance in the middle of the field if it gets him more minutes, is no stranger to low expectations.

Growing up in Northland – the northernmost region of New Zealand's North Island, where rugby league is close to an afterthought – taught Harawira-Naera to enjoy the freedom of playing as an underdog.

"I love it hey," Harawira-Naera says with a smile when thoughts turn to the pessimism many have of the Bulldogs chances.

"I love being the underdogs. I grew up in Northland where rugby league wasn't that strong.

"We used to get pumped every week so I was used to the no expectations. You could just go out there and play your footy and not care what everyone thinks.

"I think we're all low-key thriving on the low expectations. I know we can upset some teams this year. A lot of it's going to come down to our attitude and the weekly grind and getting up for big games and looking after the bodies. I love when people write us off."

Harawira-Naera has earned a bench spot in a stacked Canterbury back-row rotation ahead of 2018 breakout star Rhyse Martin, in part due to his versatility.

He is prepared to do whatever he can – including roll his sleeves up and do the tough stuff in the middle – if it gets him any extra time on the field.

"I've had a talk to Deano [Pay], he said he was going to bring me off the bench. I told him if he did want to use me in the middle to give me a few more minutes [I'd do that]," he said.
"Obviously our back row, Jacko and Ray [Josh Jackson and Raymond Faitala-Mariner] are probably going to play the whole 80 so I might have to sit there the whole game.

"I did let him know if he wanted to chuck me in the middle just to help out and give some of the boys a spell if they need it, I'll jump in there to get a few more minutes."

Harawira-Naera has played the bulk of his 46 NRL games in the second row, with just over a dozen off the bench and a handful at centre but has never started as a middle forward.

"It's a bit faster with a bit more contact so I think it will be good for me," he continued.

"Over at Penrith I was filling in there at training because we always had Yeoey and Kiks [Isaah Yeo and Viliame Kikau] out there so I'd jump in the middle and give Fish [James Fisher-Harris] a little rest around training.

"Even here, Adzy [lock Adam Elliott], I've been giving him a tap on the shoulder if he ever needs to have a rest for a few sets at training."

Reflecting on his move across from Penrith on a four-year deal, Harawira-Naera said he had been reluctant to leave his mates but the security of the deal and wealth of young forwards coming through at Penrith had been huge factors.

"It was a few things. Over at Penrith, it was hard to leave. It was a good deal compared to what I was on out there but even when it came I had to get convinced to leave," he said.

"I didn't want to leave, lots of my close mates are out there but in saying that I knew with the amount of players coming through the club that something would have to give or even a few players would have to leave.

"You don't want it to get ugly like it has been in the past with players leaving clubs so to leave on my own terms I was happy with but I do wish them the best this year, I think they'll go really well."

Casting his mind ahead to a round one trip to Auckland, Harawira-Naera said he was relishing the chance to head home, visit some family and play against his home-town club.

"It's one team I enjoy beating if we get the chance to," he laughed.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks we're wooden spoon favourites has not seen that train wreck they call an Eels team. If I was a Parra supporter, I'd be suicidal.

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nice read. Looking forward to seeing CHN roll up the sleeves and let loose.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can't see how we could go backwards to be honest. We'll finish 12th absolute worst.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks we're wooden spoon favourites has not seen that train wreck they call an Eels team. If I was a Parra supporter, I'd be suicidal.
Anyone who thinks we're wooden spoon favourites, just hate us KE

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everybody writes us off because they expect Foz to go down... They forget what the Prince provided at the end of 2018

If CHN turns out like he did for Pemriff last year that's exciting in itself... but I reckon he will go up a notch.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Everybody writes us off because they expect Foz to go down... They forget what the Prince provided at the end of 2018

If CHN turns out like he did for Pemriff last year that's exciting in itself... but I reckon he will go up a notch.[/QUOTE
yep we such an underated team will surprise quite a few, most who have us coming last are dick heads anyway. CHN will do well

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everywhere you look people are saying we're either 15th or 16th. Even Vossy has us spooners.

Saw another one this morning. Dean Ritchie and Brent Read have us last, yet they have Manly 9th! Muppets.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Everywhere you look people are saying we're either 15th or 16th. Even Vossy has us spooners.

Saw another one this morning. Dean Ritchie and Brent Read have us last, yet they have Manly 9th! Muppets.

yeah there dick heads

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Absolute bs. They're giving Hasler way too much credit..

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Write us off and then see who gets the last laugh. I'm with CHN I reckon we will shake up a few teams this season. As I said in another post there is no pressure on us if everyone has us pressed for last we can just fly under the radar while taking scalps a long the way. I feel we will end up higher on the ladder then last season, hopefully we can make the 8.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Awesome !!! Just the way we like it.
sounds like he loves his new home with the doggies, only 2 days now!!!

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome !!! Just the way we like it.
sounds like he loves his new home with the doggies, only 2 days now!!!
I can already smell the deep heat. I'm itching at the bit for Saturday to get here.