News Hands off: Panthers’ plan to keep young stars away from Barrett’s Dogs

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
upload_2020-7-21_15-10-31.jpeg

Panthers boss Brian Fletcher has issued a stern hands off edict to rival clubs looking to launch a raid on Penrith’s rising stars Stephen Crichton and Matt Burton.

With the Bulldogs set to make the announcement about new coach Trent Barrett official, Canterbury-Bankstown has also targeted Crichton and Burton as the ideal recruits for 2022.

But Fletcher told Fox Sports the Panthers were well advanced in terms of contract extensions for the young gun pair and planned to retain them at the foot of the mountains.

The Panthers boss also stressed coach Ivan Cleary had spoken to outgoing assistant Barrett about refraining from attempting to poach any of Penrith’s emerging NRL talent.

“Ivan and Trent have spoken about doing the right thing and I’m confident we won’t have a problem there,” Fletcher said.

“We’ll be locking up all of our best young talent in the near future, all of those sorts of talks are already a fair way down the track.

“There’s no dramas there. The club’s headed in the right direction and the players want to be here because we’re winning.”

Since the departure of Phil Gould, the Panthers have set-up a recruitment and retention committee comprising coach Cleary, CEO Fletcher, deputy chairman Greg Alexander, Cameron Ciraldo, Peter Wallace, Dave O’Neill and head of recruitment Matt Cameron.

Gun centre Crichton is off contract for the 2021 season but is free to field offers from rival clubs from November 1 this year.

Crichton has scored nine tries in 10 NRL matches this season and looks a special talent.

The Bulldogs intended to target the gun rookie using brother Christian, who plays wing for Canterbury-Bankstown, as the hook.

But Panthers boss Fletcher is confident he will remain at Penrith.

The same goes for rookie five-eighth Burton who is also free to field offers from rival clubs from November 1.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...a7d104cb20bfed5c91c?__twitter_impression=true

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
recruitment and retention committee comprising coach Cleary, CEO Fletcher, deputy chairman Greg Alexander, Cameron Ciraldo, Peter Wallace, Dave O’Neill and head of recruitment Matt Cameron.
LOLLLL That's one hell of a retention committee ..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
For Crichton sure. Panthers aren't playing Burton tho. Burton and his manager will push for a release unless Panthers back flip on Luai.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
so, other teams can go after them?

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Penrith think burton is just going to sit around in reserve grade they have another thing coming
Why would they let him go ?

It serves them no purpose. What happens if Luai gets injured mid way through next year ?

I agree they wont keep him beyond 2021 but they are in a very good position until the end of next year with the 3 halves they have. Burton would be on a minimal contract so even if he kicks stones it makes no difference to the Panthers.

I am not saying it wont happen. I am just saying if I was the Panthers there is no way I would let him go. He knew he had Luai and Cleary in front of him when he signed.

The bulldogs board would bend over and let the player manager sodomise them. I dont think the Panthers board will

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah righto Penrith. You expect all the gun juniors to sign piss weak deals instead of chasing some coin.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
barrett is staying as penrith assistant so he has picked his side already, he is a panther and will obey their rule that no panther will be stolen

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Barrett quietly telling them to wait until he can make an offer in November before committing to a new contract.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No harm at all if free to take offers. Like we would just stay clear. Crichton not yet contracted for 2021, should be able to be signed up now surely.
Nab these two would be a great addition.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep an eye on their books NRL.
Didn’t we get done in 2002 for paying overs for our then unheard of juniors??

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They can't keep everyone. They're suggesting they want to turn Burton into a lock. But I'm sure he'd rather play in the halves.

I don't understand the notion of preventing one club from signing players because the assistant left, but not having an issue with the other 14 teams signing their players...

Either way fuck what they say and sign them anyway. There's nothing they can do if we make them offers Penrith can't match.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You can't keep em all fletcher and co.

We should and will rightfully have first crack at any prospects who can't get a consistent run in FG

Farcanrefs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why would they let him go ?

It serves them no purpose. What happens if Luai gets injured mid way through next year ?

I agree they wont keep him beyond 2021 but they are in a very good position until the end of next year with the 3 halves they have. Burton would be on a minimal contract so even if he kicks stones it makes no difference to the Panthers.

I am not saying it wont happen. I am just saying if I was the Panthers there is no way I would let him go. He knew he had Luai and Cleary in front of him when he signed.

The bulldogs board would bend over and let the player manager sodomise them. I dont think the Panthers board will
They have 4 halves. May has been picked ahead of Burton.

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
Just trying to put pressure on via the media. Young guys will go where there is an opportunity and coin, regardless of promises. Like Cleary’s a man of his word anyway.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
no we also got o meley, vagana, patten and also howland, trindall to sit in reserve grade on good money
I know damn sure we didn’t have the superstars back then that Roosters had. Our guys became stars in 2004 apart from a few ala Vagana...