Halligan mentoring new Bulldogs kicker Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Goal-kicking guru and former New Zealand international Daryl Halligan has been mentoring Bulldogs second-rower Rhyse Martin, who has taken over the kicking duties since Moses Mbye's departure to the Wests Tigers.

The pre-eminent kicker of his time has worked at several NRL clubs helping goal kickers refine their art – including former Bulldogs great Hazem El Masri, the highest points scorer in history with 2418.

Halligan himself ranks fourth on that list (2034 points) from his time at Canterbury and North Sydney, and would have been impressed with Martin's efforts in Saturday's 36-16 win over Newcastle with six goals from as many attempts.

Martin also kicked four from four when he suited up for Papua New Guinea in their 26-14 win over Fiji a fortnight ago at the Pacific Test.

But the 25-year-old remains humble despite his perfect conversion rate in just his fifth game at NRL level.

"I had a good day I guess," Martin told NRL.com.

"We train hard here with Daryl - he's always giving us little pointers and ensuring that we are focusing in on those finer details of our kicking.

"When he was playing for the club he was definitely the best kicker in the whole competition so to have him come in and teach us has been a real help."

Bulldogs forward Rhyse Martin.©Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
Martin said he was confident he could continue to excel with the boot for the remainder of the season.

"I know I can kick them," Martin said.

"I just have to keep my strike and my technique going into the ball the same and also not rushing my kicks, just taking my time - if I do that it will go over."

The Bulldogs are now four from 15 this season and were desperate for a win against Newcastle, with most of their defeats being by six points or fewer this season.

"We were due for a win like that," Martin said.

"The boys have been battling away all year and scrapping a few wins and only losing some game by a couple of points."

"To get a decent win was really good."

After the mid-season departures of Mbye and Aaron Woods, five-eighth Lachlan Lewis and bench forward Ofahiki Ogden made their NRL debuts against Newcastle.

Martin said having two fresh faces in the side gave the squad an extra boost.

"It's always good to get boys debuting," Martin said.

"We had the jersey presentation just before we went out to warm up and their families were in there so it was a special moment for them.

"All the boys got a lift from having new boys in the side and there was a lot of excitement and energy going into the game.

"I'm so happy we were able to get the win for them."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/03...new-canterbury-bulldogs-striker-rhyse-martin/

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

"I just have to keep my strike and my technique going into the ball the same and also not rushing my kicks, just taking my time - if I do that it will go over."

I love a confident goal kicker!!! If Martin was kicking instead of that self opinionated hype machine Mbye we would have had a couple of extra wins under our belt.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I love a confident goal kicker!!! If Martin was kicking instead of that self opinionated hype machine Mbye we would have had a couple of extra wins under our belt.
Mbye always came across to me as a reluctant kicker. I love Martin’s confidence and that he is being mentored by one of the best ever

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yup he’s a great kicker alright, and he’s in very good hands with Halligan..

Its looking very good !!

All Hail Mitch

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, at least he's getting pointers from one of the best... certainly worked last week.

I wonder if we're using Halligan as a speed coach too?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Saw Halligan walk past the corporate box I was sitting in last Friday night at the Warriors game. I was fangirling in awe wishing I'd gotten a photo with him afterwards. hahaha

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn't know he was 25.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
His kick offs are valuable as Lichaa last year could only kick to the 10m line and Mbye this year was the same. We now have someone who has height and depth in their kick offs

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope he stays too. Good backrower and great kicker. Good teams have good goal kickers. Conversions are an important part.
I guess more importantly, if he is going who are we replacing him with? Surely we have enough funds freed up now to sign him on again.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope he stays too. Good backrower and great kicker. Good teams have good goal kickers. Conversions are an important part.
Think about this, you score four tries that match, an extra 8 points are available. Now thats valuable! Especially in our situation where point scoring hasn't necessarily been our strong side.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His worth resigning just for his goal kicking only. If he is too stay at the club then due to his goal kicking he will need to 80mins each week. Jackson will therefore need to move to lock as RFM will be the other egde backrower. A gun goal kicker can be the difference between winning and losing alot of the time.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol, the yearly Darryl Halligan article. Last year it was about Mbye, this year about Martin.

Thankfully Martin seems serious about his kicking unlike Mbye. Well done to him, hopefully he keeps kicking well. At least we also have a second kicker in Holland if needed.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why they persisted with Mbye trying to kick was always a frustrating puzzlement for me. It was obvious he couldn't kick. You can improve someone with coaching but you can't create one when they have no natural aptitude for it. Mbye had no aptitude for kicking, whether it was a place kick or kick in general play. Great to see Martin in the side. Exciting to see all the new talent getting a go.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Halligan was also “ mentoring” Mbye to kick goals for years and we all saw how well that dud could kick them....NOT
When it comes to goal kicking you either have that natural ability or you don’t. Goal kicking coaching helps but there’s got to be something there to begin with.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol, the yearly Darryl Halligan article. Last year it was about Mbye, this year about Martin.

Thankfully Martin seems serious about his kicking unlike Mbye. Well done to him, hopefully he keeps kicking well. At least we also have a second kicker in Holland if needed.
Yeah, Halligan coaches numerous kickers across numerous teams.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Funny how we lost so many games this year by 2-4 points and we had that Mbye bloke kicking for us that used to miss a lot if you remember?

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny how we lost so many games this year by 2-4 points and we had that Mbye bloke kicking for us that used to miss a lot if you remember?
I actually think we win the Dragons game if we make all the kicks. No way the Dragons take the penalty if they are down 18-14. This could be exciting times if we have a 85% kicker and the defence improves.

Status
Not open for further replies.