Halfback 2022

Doggystyle99

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’ve been overlooking the need for a 7 as it’s not the only pressing issue we have in the roster, but after witnessing averillos perfomance today against the sharks I’m inclined to say it’s more important then our lack of a gun number 9. Normally the 9 can take the pressure off of a bad half, but in our case averillo isn’t a half YET. Burton will be great for us, but he will need a mentor and so will the youngster that will eventually partner him whether it be in the 6 or 7 jersey. As much as I wouldn’t want Pearce, if he’s all that’s available and we can get him on a decent deal then he’s a must.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Need a 7 and I'm thinking Flanagan needs to start next week for sure And give Averillo a go at 1

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Blokes were telling me to wake up to myself because I said I'm not confident avo can be a half. Most of us can see it's just a waste of time persisting with him in first grade ATM.
I actually feel bad that I've been so negative towards him in the past. He just doesn't have it and shouldn't have the keys to the team.

BBO is raw but at the very least asks for the ball and has a crack. Blood him now rather than continue to ruin Avo's career.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well Benji Marshall is still playing and he’s 36. What I didn’t know is Maloney wanted to retire. I thought he could play a role like Marshall for 1 year to teach the young ones on and off the field. As crazy as it sounds, Benji Marshall hasn’t got a contract for next year and played well this year.
Even Benji isn’t a option for me. The role he’s playing at South’s is perfect for him at his stage of his career. He will have to do it all at the Dogs and that’s beyond him now.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually feel bad that I've been so negative towards him in the past. He just doesn't have it and shouldn't have the keys to the team.

BBO is raw but at the very least asks for the ball and has a crack. Blood him now rather than continue to ruin Avo's career.
Yeah I like the kid, but there's only a few young guys that can step up to become an NRL half so early in their career. Avo needs to develop in reserves which may take another 3+ years. Hope he can find his feet.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
If you want a natural 7 we had one last year his name was jack cogger and he was the best of the bunch. He didn’t set the world on fire but i think he was worth persisting with. Anyway what is done is done.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If you want a natural 7 we had one last year his name was jack cogger and he was the best of the bunch. He didn’t set the world on fire but i think he was worth persisting with. Anyway what is done is done.
He was a very good little organiser. Natural halfback who would’ve been the perfect foil for Burton next year.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need a natural half. We cannot continue with closing 3 sets in a row with nothing kicks that Avo did today late in the second half.
I like him but he doesn't posess a natural kicking game.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even Benji isn’t a option for me. The role he’s playing at South’s is perfect for him at his stage of his career. He will have to do it all at the Dogs and that’s beyond him now.
Fair enough with what you said, we just need these young blokes to get some guidance

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only one that we currently have that shows spark and creativity is BBO. The rest are good for the bin