Half the reward: Averillo wants playmaker role long term

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s not a player that can deal with the pressure of the 7 jersey. This season is done anyway for us, chuck him in the 1 and just get him to back up thommo and our forwards when they run. Baz needs to simplify his game cos he has a lot of talent but putting him in 7 has killed his confidence and you saw it today, he’s overthinking plays and rushing kicks. Put meaney wing cos I don’t wanna see okunbor there

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Very well written and passionate. Well said....

Pearce confirmed.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Busts his ass? Bro he could literally go a whole season without washing his jersey. He does fuck all
Agree, no one is asking him to be Cooper or JT, but to be a “running” half and just not run the ball is criminal. All I saw him do today was pass pass pass and kick poorly. His back up play for the try and goal kicking his highlights, we need more than that from the kid.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He might come good, but he needs Barrett to decide which position he wants him
to play and he needs to play some reggies on that position next year to help him rediscover his confidence, imo. Still think centre may be his best position. Possibly fullback. Don’t see him as a half and certainly not a halfback.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Agree, no one is asking him to be Cooper or JT, but to be a “running” half and just not run the ball is criminal. All I saw him do today was pass pass pass and kick poorly. His back up play for the try and goal kicking his highlights, we need more than that from the kid.
I wouldn’t say it’s “criminal”. He’s confused about his role and is lacking confidence.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say it’s “criminal”. He’s confused about his role and is lacking confidence.
His” strength” is running the ball …but he doesn’t run the ball, what’s there to be confused about? I get he’s a not a natural halfback, but he doesn’t do what comes naturally to him. That’s bad for him and bad for the team.

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Avo running along the line looking for something or someone, where the fuck are the other players? No players in motion.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more I watch Avo in the halves the less convinced I am. His involvements are minimiaml, his organisation of the team & game managemet are nonexistant and his kicking game is woeful. He is probably a running center in my eyes. We would be crazy not to jump a Pearce next year and get him pushing up around him & Burton.

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
Love Avo he's a junior and super young!! But just in the limited minutes BBO has had you can see 7 written all over him. The other part of this is the need for a established half for Burton to work with. Not sure Pearce is the answer, Adam Reynolds would have been perfect just not for the money he's on.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Avo is like Barba, Reynolds, and every other moderate half we've had. Great at 6 when paired up with a good 7, otherwise he may as well play fullback or somewhere else where he doesn't have to control the game.

Bigmous

on the loose
Premium Member
Reaction score
People need to chill and have some patience. I’m not saying his going to be as good as them but players like Hughes and Cronk were both make shift halves that took a few years to perfect their craft. Hughes much like Averillo game was purely based on his running ability and in today’s game both halves need to be able to take on the line.

Kicking wise you see glimpses but far from consistent. An off-season or two should fix this. I do see his best position being at 5/8 or fullback but time will tell. His only 20 and has the potential to become a great half.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People need to chill and have some patience. I’m not saying his going to be as good as them but players like Hughes and Cronk were both make shift halves that took a few years to perfect their craft. Hughes much like Averillo game was purely based on his running ability and in today’s game both halves need to be able to take on the line.

Kicking wise you see glimpses but far from consistent. An off-season or two should fix this. I do see his best position being at 5/8 or fullback but time will tell. His only 20 and has the potential to become a great half.
The problem with all of our halves is that they dont dig into the line. It was painfully obvious yesterday. We were passing a long way before the line and not engaging any defenders. You could see the difference a class player like Johnson made. He goes to the line and then makes a decision. I feel like our halves have already made a decision before they catch the ball.

You look at our tries yesterday. 2 individual efforts by Thommo and 2 tries from kicks. We were clueless again when we were attacking their line.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with all of our halves is that they dont dig into the line. It was painfully obvious yesterday. We were passing a long way before the line and not engaging any defenders. You could see the difference a class player like Johnson made. He goes to the line and then makes a decision. I feel like our halves have already made a decision before they catch the ball.

You look at our tries yesterday. 2 individual efforts by Thommo and 2 tries from kicks. We were clueless again when we were attacking their line.
100%!! He has speed and footwork to suck defenders. As you said he should be running to the line getting defenders in two minds then make a decision to show and go or draw and pass out the back. He’s to robotic. I feel like I’m watching mini league with the catch and pass.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

This is why Flanagan got dumped, never did it. Jake did at first but has now regressed and is just crabbing sideways looking to linkup with our non existent runners. This will continue to be an issue until Baz scraps the system or recruits a genuine top tier halfback.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is why Flanagan got dumped, never did it. Jake did at first but has now regressed and is just crabbing sideways looking to linkup with our non existent runners. This will continue to be an issue until Baz scraps the system or recruits a genuine top tier halfback.
As much as I’ve disliked Pearce I think his experience and game management will be so good for our young boys to develop. Doesn’t matter his age either if people think it’s an issue. Roosters signed Cronk in his mid 30s. I know Pearce isn’t Cronk but he’s played rep footy. He’s always been at the top of 7a in the game he knows what it takes to win.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Have a look at biondi when he came on , he has a little Robbie Farah in him where he engages the ruck defenders and plays off that . That takes the gang tackle out of the equation and allows our forwards to get over the advantage line . It’s no coincidence that we got a roll on when he came on

When at first receiver he also had that natural ability to engage or at least take the ball to the line and play from there .

I really like the look of him . We have got the wrong experimental player at 7 at the moment

Biondi is the man for that position

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
As much as I’ve disliked Pearce I think his experience and game management will be so good for our young boys to develop. Doesn’t matter his age either if people think it’s an issue. Roosters signed Cronk in his mid 30s. I know Pearce isn’t Cronk but he’s played rep footy. He’s always been at the top of 7a in the game he knows what it takes to win.
I don't think Pearce will help that much with development as it hasn't really worked out that way in Newcastle from what I can see. I do think he can play that he can play that on the ball style of halfback that Baz wants and improve the team short-term though. Injuries are becoming an issue with him and he's another potential recruit with questionable history so there's also that to consider.

repolski

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think next year burton will have to play half and averillo at 6. With bbo and jmk sharing hooker job.