Half the reward: Averillo wants playmaker role long term

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Averillo is far from the reason why we’re shit, it fact his one of the few that bust their ass every week for the jersey
Blokes 20 and getting hammered coz our whole squad is dogshit
I dont think many think hes shit. Just not the answer at half at this stage in his development. For him to be a half he needs a year or 2 in that position in lower grades. He hasnt shown me enough yet to go "omg i hope he doesn't leave.". Id have him in the 30 as a backup half, and play him in reserves a while. Learn his craft more. Lewis is ahead of him even if just for his kicking game being vastly superior.

He would probably make more impact in the backs, but doesnt want to play there, and we are going to be back heavy next year. JAC, Naden and Dufty coming.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imo hb these days have to be able to take on the line and he is a natural runner. The rest like passing, kicking and game management he can develop. May be he has those qualities too just havent been able to show them consistently because of confidence. Bet you he would be a better player if hes the confidence of lewis.

If after a year or 2, playing with a better team, hes still struggling, its fair to question him then. Atm im happy if hes our hb next year.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not saying he is. I don't see any of the massive hype Avo has got on here. If anything he has failed other then 1 game yet Tbaz keeps picking him there. Same is said for a few other guys. We now have a FB in Dufty so I don't see Avo in the 2022 team at all.
I 100% agree with you. Like Meaney the only thing Averillo offers is speed but too soft to do anything with it.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Hes just not ready to be a half in a FG side yet. Not any FG side. Lewis is closer to ready to partner Burton, if we don't get anyone else in. Its still a pretty inexperienced halves pairing Lewis and Burton. Id have liked to have gotten someone like a Pearce or Reynolds in. An experienced half with an up and comer would have been better than 2 up and comers.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo is far from the reason why we’re shit, it fact his one of the few that bust their ass every week for the jersey
Blokes 20 and getting hammered coz our whole squad is dogshit
But a few of his plays turned the game. One 7 tackle set he gifted the Sharks had them go down the other end and come up with a try. You gotta make the most of your opportunities and today Averillo’s last tackle options were shocking.

Even Andrew Johns mentioned in commentary that he doesn’t look like a natural kicking the ball. You can’t really teach that so he is nowhere near being a half

hulk hogan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Rookie Canterbury playmaker Jake Averillo wants to continue playing in the halves next season after the arrival of star recruit Matt Burton from Penrith.

Averillo, who has shifted from five-eighth to halfback for Saturday’s match against Canberra after Kyle Flanagan was dropped, began his NRL career at centre or on the wing last year but he said his preferred position was five-eighth.

"I’d like to play in the halves long term, but I am not really thinking about Matt coming at the moment," Averillo said.

"I’ve got this year to cement my position there so I am just trying to get better each week and hopefully I can keep the position. If I just play good footy hopefully Baz will pick me in the team."

After signing with the Bulldogs for next season it had been expected that Burton would partner Flanagan in the halves but he is now starring at centre for the Panthers.

Barrett: We will support Kyle

Flanagan has suffered a dramatic fall from grace after being replaced at half-time last Sunday and dropped this week.

Averillo said Flanagan had the backing of his teammates as he battles to regain his position in coming weeks but the 20-year-old is determined to perform well alongside Fiji playmaker Brandon Wakeham to try and help the Bulldogs to their second win of the season.

"We have all got a job to do as a team and it is obviously a tough position, let alone being the leader of the team at such a young age, so I just have got to keep doing my job for my team," Averillo said.

Bulldogs v Raiders - Magic Round

"We will all get behind Kyle and support him. We know he has got a tough job, coming into this team as the halfback.

"It’s obviously been a tough start to the comp for us and we have got a young spine but it’s a learning curve for us and we are only going to get better from this.

"We are lacking a bit of confidence at the moment.

"You can never discount our effort, it is just about being smarter in certain areas which can build some more pressure during games and hopefully get us a win."

Veteran forward Adam Elliott and winger Nick Cotric predicted the 23-year-old halfback would bounce back.

"Kyle is a good player and off the field I like Kyle a lot too," Cotric said. "He will be fine, that is just footy and these things happen."

The final word ahead of festival of footy Magic

With so many new faces at the club this season, Elliott said it was important for the Bulldogs to come together quickly.

"It’s a tough time and this is where teams are made or broken," Elliott said.

"We have only had one win this year and unless we do get tighter and come together it is going to be a hard finish to the season.

The magic so far: The memorable moments of 2021

"A lot of the young guys have probably come through and been the best players in their age groups, so they are probably used to being able to break the game open whenever they wanted to so I think it is a hard lesson to learn that in the NRL you have got to be on for 80 minutes.

"I think the young blokes have been great, they have injected a lot of energy and they turn up every day as a group.

"But I think it is a matter of us coming together as a team and it doesn’t matter how old you are, what jersey you used to wear or where you live."
Fuck averillo off please he is terrible give flanno a crack nothing to lose now

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not in an NRL side. Let alone ours which is telling don't you think? Lol.
He's more LIKELY to struggle in our side than any other. You can't develop kids in this environment, doesn't matter if it's BBO, Burton, etc they're all going hit a wall and regress.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We are not gonna do shit next year if we don’t get at least another good middle forward to help out Thompson and an experienced half back to partner Burton. Also we need RFM to have an injury free year next year.

I’d also give the captaincy to Thompson and Jackson can play from the bench.

8.Avo
9.JMK
10.Vaughn
11.RFM
12.TPJ
13.Thompson

14.BBO
15.Elliot
16.Jackson
17.Hetherington

Last edited:

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He's more LIKELY to struggle in our side than any other. You can't develop kids in this environment, doesn't matter if it's BBO, Burton, etc they're all going hit a wall and regress.
Tell me what you've seen of Jake that would be better in another system? Please post your highlights minus sorbolene cream.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Tell me what you've seen of Jake that would be better in another system? Please post your highlights minus sorbolene cream.
Why? You won't believe me.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep hearing he is a running half. Frankly the bloke hardly runs the ball at all. You could put up a missing poster of him whenever we are in the opposition 20.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Legit question mate. I'm not alone in not seeing the push for him playing anywhere in our team let alone spine.
The way he's playing now isn't how he played in the lower grades. He likes to play nice and direct and apply pressure on the defence with his running game, force them to make a decision and then react to it.

Unfortunately for him he has been forced into a role he simply shouldn't be playing due to poor recruitment and coaching. He's overwhelmed with responsibilty in a side already struggling more than any other in the game and his confidence has been shot to bits and he's regressing. This drifting across field looking for runners is ridiculous, it isn't his style and I don't know why Baz has persisted with this system and put this pressure on him. He simply shouldn't be played like this.

So as I have stated numerous times i have always wanted us to chase an experienced half and I have no issue with Jake going back to reserves for sometime or moving into another role. But people writing him off are being stupid, the same people that will write of BBO and every other young kid that doesn't turn the side around.