Half-back

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
With quality players in all spine positions a coach is almost superfluous. Just need to get them fit and motivated.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should i Start a welcome back Cogger thread? He is 24 and and goes into the line.
Some of the young players who went to the Sl have come back better players.
I believe, that because the SL is below NRL standard they had the oppurtunity to re focus on their game and develope slowly, where as in the NRL when you are thrown in first grade particularly at 7 but also anywhere in the spine, it's a case of swim or sink, and 1 bad game can destroy a ypoung player because they know if they fail that big money contract wont happen.
I think Cotter might be worth a go now, can;t be worse than what we've got, and can't see us buying a good 7 let alone a top shelf one, unless we have one coming through the grades. which I think should be allowed to develope in the lower grades for at least a year or 2.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Like to see Wakeham given 4 games before he's out of contract.

He would solve that problem if he plays to his capabilities...but hasn't got it together so far so it's on him.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You don't need to play with a traditional halfback. Coaches are the problem. Play to your players strengths not a shit system where you don't have the players to play (you can transition into in over time when you start to get/develop players BUT you need to win now regardless where/who you are). Clubs also have other massive problems outside halfback.
100% right, look at what Bellamy did with Hughes (a fullback his whole career), Hynes at Cronulla and to a lesser extent Moses at Parra. None of those guys are what you would call traditional halfbacks but their coaches created systems which play to their advantages. I don't really rate Brad Arthur too highly as a coach but even he has been able to create systems which play to his players strengths.