Gus urges caution with the Bulldogs' salary cap

Malla

Reaction score
Would you just rather he stuck the boot in like every other analyst and media organisation is? is Are his constructive criticism and advice not good enough for you?
DWZ is a good player. Has the most errors in the comp but he runs hard so that makes up for it.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus never said anything about a 5 year plan. Like hazem el Masri, it was a myth.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus is right, that's the best way to rebuild. That's what a lot of us have been saying for years.

Sign the best youngsters coming through that are blocked for a run (like Burton) on reasonable deals and watch them become stars at our club as opposed to paying 800k-$1 million for an established player who might not be worth that much.
Just takes time with no guarantees at the end

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just takes time with no guarantees at the end
Look at Grants impact. If you recruit the right youngsters like Burton who can make an impact now, along with a hooker and some more experienced guys like Cotric and Thompson, then there's no reason we can't make the 8 next season.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Look at Grants impact. If you recruit the right youngsters like Burton who can make an impact now, along with a hooker and some more experienced guys like Cotric and Thompson, then there's no reason we can't make the 8 next season.
I keep forgetting cotric is only 21. He seems like he's been around for ages.

Just did a quick google search. Can't believe he's already played 80 games at 21

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we can somehow manage to get a top hooker (e.g. Brandon Smith, Harry Grant) I think we've got a good chance of making the eight next year. Sprinkle a couple value signings on top of that and why not.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
This is what I would do personally.

operate on two levels.

I would be solving the immediate problem with a band aid and get some smart signings if those on the back end of their peak. 28-32 yeaR old types. This goes on our cap and all that and is basically the next two to three year plan.

Below the sea level though, I would also be working very hard to sign the best of the best 16-18 year olds in the country. Especially a new beeed of hooker. I want the number 1 hooker who's in year 12 at our club. Our club has money and this isn't in the NRL top 30 so let's make a kid rich.

Then AFTER year one and over the next two years, there's a transition period where our older guys fade out and we have the best 20 year olds with 15-20 games under their belt hitting their straps hard. In 2024 we start seeing a functional unit full of marquee players who I hope resemble our 2003 squad.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do people not realise you HAVE to spend 95% of the salary cap?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Do people not realise you HAVE to spend 95% of the salary cap?
Gus wants us to invest some of the salary cap in the best younger players that haven't "made it" yet as well as a few mercenary signings that are short term.

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Panthers Group, which at the point Of Gould’s appointment owned 14 licensed premises across the country, was precariously close to insolvency with debts nudging nearly $110 million

private equity firm who had taken over the debt were in their rights to call in the loan. Gould negotiated the Panthers way out of that position. He negotiated an 18-month settlement which gave Penrith time to repay that money. They wanted an upfront payment, which we didn’t have, but Gould had James Packer offer to pay that on Penriths behalf.

The payment was more than $10 million. Ashtray change for James Packer at the time but a lifesaver for the Panthers.

On the “five year plan” “Never said it,” Gould says bluntly. “The closest reference to it comes from the very early days when people were asking how precarious things were. I said, ‘It will take at least half a decade to turn this around’. Which was pretty accurate. We were never predicting a premiership in that time.

"In the first three years, we made the top four anyway. It was never about premierships and never did I say that. That’s just become a narrative created by the media and wherever I go, or wherever I’ve been, there are certain sections of the media that obviously take great joy in trying to either destabilise or criticise.”

Apart from financial instability, Gould also had a crisis with the NRL team’s salary cap.

In early 2012 he told the board that, by 2014, the Panthers faced the daunting possibility of having 12 players in the 25-man squad taking up to all but $600,000 of the salary cap.

Tough calls were made. Captain Luke Lewis was released to the Sharks. Michael Jennings was allowed to sign with the Roosters. They were Australian players but on huge back-ended deals that were going to cripple the club.

“We’ve won six lower-grade titles in the past five or six years,” Gould says. “That’s the Penrith way. We’re a community club. It’s important that our football team represents the area. We’ve got back to those core values. We want to be a club of opportunity. When we first got there, we had 11 full-time staff at the football club. Now there are 56 people working in rugby league.”

Gould’s proudest moment came in March 2016 when a $22 million state-of-the-art academy was opened behind Panthers Leagues Club. It was so impressive then prime minister Malcolm Turnbull phoned, wanting to be part of the opening ceremony.

Gould says. “A lot of what’s happened is just rugby league life. The decisions I’ve made, whether I can look back and say I was right or wrong or would’ve done them differently, is irrelevant. Because at the time I did what I thought was right in the best interests of the club. So, I don’t see that as tough. I just see it as doing your job. We couldn’t back away from tough decisions from time to time. There’s been some disappointments, but my overall feeling of the club is one of pride of what we’ve created.

"The people we have working in the organisation make Panthers what it is. I haven’t saved Panthers. I haven’t built Panthers. Those people have. I’ve just given these people the opportunity and there are plenty of talented and passionate people out there who have done a great job.”

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/in...pped-in-to-save-the-club-20190426-p51hll.html
Perfect response. Well played!!!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey @TwinTurbo correct me if I’m wrong but if the club doesn’t spend 95% they have to pay each player in the 30 extra money till they get to 95% at least?
"Have to" isn't the terminology I'd use. I guess it depends on how much under, for example they could pick, say 1 or 2 players and upgrade their contracts for the current year (forward pay). Which I assume has the same limit as back loading which is reportedly $100k. Then reduce their contract for the remaining years accordingly.

Go Dogs

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
"Have to" isn't the terminology I'd use. I guess it depends on how much under, for example they could pick, say 1 or 2 players and upgrade their contracts for the current year (forward pay). Which I assume has the same limit as back loading which is reportedly $100k. Then reduce their contract for the remaining years accordingly.

Go Dogs
Yeah ok so they can pick who they pay the money too if they are short in the salary cap requirement of 95%.

oldman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gus is 100% correct. Regrettably I fear the muppets on the board will waste the war chest investing heavily on players like Bird and Lafai at the detriment for brining developing talent onboard

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Agree with that analysis. Buy 6-7 of the best teenagers. Burton, Starling, S. Chricton are the kind of players he's talking about.
I think he is talking more about 18yr old who may become someone and not have to pay over for established . 2 out the 3 you mention may come looking.for a 1st grade shot where Crichton is established and will.cost overs.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As much as I dislike Gus, he has been one of the few media mouthpieces that hasn't put sh!t on us and tried to offer constructive advice.

Last edited:

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They said something on nrl 360 about hearing gus might have some involvement next year. Couldnt hear clearly. Have some issues with the andersons apparently. Anyone watched that part?