Gus urges caution with the Bulldogs' salary cap

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The Panthers Group, which at the point Of Gould’s appointment owned 14 licensed premises across the country, was precariously close to insolvency with debts nudging nearly $110 million

private equity firm who had taken over the debt were in their rights to call in the loan. Gould negotiated the Panthers way out of that position. He negotiated an 18-month settlement which gave Penrith time to repay that money. They wanted an upfront payment, which we didn’t have, but Gould had James Packer offer to pay that on Penriths behalf.

The payment was more than $10 million. Ashtray change for James Packer at the time but a lifesaver for the Panthers.

On the “five year plan” “Never said it,” Gould says bluntly. “The closest reference to it comes from the very early days when people were asking how precarious things were. I said, ‘It will take at least half a decade to turn this around’. Which was pretty accurate. We were never predicting a premiership in that time.

"In the first three years, we made the top four anyway. It was never about premierships and never did I say that. That’s just become a narrative created by the media and wherever I go, or wherever I’ve been, there are certain sections of the media that obviously take great joy in trying to either destabilise or criticise.”

Apart from financial instability, Gould also had a crisis with the NRL team’s salary cap.

In early 2012 he told the board that, by 2014, the Panthers faced the daunting possibility of having 12 players in the 25-man squad taking up to all but $600,000 of the salary cap.

Tough calls were made. Captain Luke Lewis was released to the Sharks. Michael Jennings was allowed to sign with the Roosters. They were Australian players but on huge back-ended deals that were going to cripple the club.

“We’ve won six lower-grade titles in the past five or six years,” Gould says. “That’s the Penrith way. We’re a community club. It’s important that our football team represents the area. We’ve got back to those core values. We want to be a club of opportunity. When we first got there, we had 11 full-time staff at the football club. Now there are 56 people working in rugby league.”

Gould’s proudest moment came in March 2016 when a $22 million state-of-the-art academy was opened behind Panthers Leagues Club. It was so impressive then prime minister Malcolm Turnbull phoned, wanting to be part of the opening ceremony.

Gould says. “A lot of what’s happened is just rugby league life. The decisions I’ve made, whether I can look back and say I was right or wrong or would’ve done them differently, is irrelevant. Because at the time I did what I thought was right in the best interests of the club. So, I don’t see that as tough. I just see it as doing your job. We couldn’t back away from tough decisions from time to time. There’s been some disappointments, but my overall feeling of the club is one of pride of what we’ve created.

"The people we have working in the organisation make Panthers what it is. I haven’t saved Panthers. I haven’t built Panthers. Those people have. I’ve just given these people the opportunity and there are plenty of talented and passionate people out there who have done a great job.”

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/in...pped-in-to-save-the-club-20190426-p51hll.html
You're right, still chats shit.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Bullfrog punted Gus, but I honestly believe he does have a little flicker for us still and is always critical of us because he knows how big we are, what we stand for and where we should be in terms of performance, and it is not acceptable for this club to be where it is.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Everything you’ve said is basically untrue and true to form a load of shit. Find a quote that is from Gould about his “five year plan”
It'd be from about 10 years ago. Their 5 year plan has been a long one.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What he said is spot on. We need to invest in younger players who may turn into superstars as well as surrounding them with a few experienced players to show them the ropes. We aren't going to sign a Munster, Keary or Tedesco and so you try to find the next superstar. You keep a bit of coin in your pocket incase a marquee player becomes available.

With Thompson and Cotric we have added a bit of spark and flair to the side, we now need to identify the player we will give the keys to the attack to, if a top quality halfback isnt available for next season then bring in a stop-gap and wait for the chance to pounce on one.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Panthers Group, which at the point Of Gould’s appointment owned 14 licensed premises across the country, was precariously close to insolvency with debts nudging nearly $110 million

private equity firm who had taken over the debt were in their rights to call in the loan. Gould negotiated the Panthers way out of that position. He negotiated an 18-month settlement which gave Penrith time to repay that money. They wanted an upfront payment, which we didn’t have, but Gould had James Packer offer to pay that on Penriths behalf.

The payment was more than $10 million. Ashtray change for James Packer at the time but a lifesaver for the Panthers.

On the “five year plan” “Never said it,” Gould says bluntly. “The closest reference to it comes from the very early days when people were asking how precarious things were. I said, ‘It will take at least half a decade to turn this around’. Which was pretty accurate. We were never predicting a premiership in that time.

"In the first three years, we made the top four anyway. It was never about premierships and never did I say that. That’s just become a narrative created by the media and wherever I go, or wherever I’ve been, there are certain sections of the media that obviously take great joy in trying to either destabilise or criticise.”

Apart from financial instability, Gould also had a crisis with the NRL team’s salary cap.

In early 2012 he told the board that, by 2014, the Panthers faced the daunting possibility of having 12 players in the 25-man squad taking up to all but $600,000 of the salary cap.

Tough calls were made. Captain Luke Lewis was released to the Sharks. Michael Jennings was allowed to sign with the Roosters. They were Australian players but on huge back-ended deals that were going to cripple the club.

“We’ve won six lower-grade titles in the past five or six years,” Gould says. “That’s the Penrith way. We’re a community club. It’s important that our football team represents the area. We’ve got back to those core values. We want to be a club of opportunity. When we first got there, we had 11 full-time staff at the football club. Now there are 56 people working in rugby league.”

Gould’s proudest moment came in March 2016 when a $22 million state-of-the-art academy was opened behind Panthers Leagues Club. It was so impressive then prime minister Malcolm Turnbull phoned, wanting to be part of the opening ceremony.

Gould says. “A lot of what’s happened is just rugby league life. The decisions I’ve made, whether I can look back and say I was right or wrong or would’ve done them differently, is irrelevant. Because at the time I did what I thought was right in the best interests of the club. So, I don’t see that as tough. I just see it as doing your job. We couldn’t back away from tough decisions from time to time. There’s been some disappointments, but my overall feeling of the club is one of pride of what we’ve created.

"The people we have working in the organisation make Panthers what it is. I haven’t saved Panthers. I haven’t built Panthers. Those people have. I’ve just given these people the opportunity and there are plenty of talented and passionate people out there who have done a great job.”

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/in...pped-in-to-save-the-club-20190426-p51hll.html
To be fair-this is incredible.
Turns the club from bankruptcy to a healthy profit.
Gets the Panthers competitive almost immediately.
Leaves them in a position of envy for many years to come.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To be fair-this is incredible.
Turns the club from bankruptcy to a healthy profit.
Gets the Panthers competitive almost immediately.
Leaves them in a position of envy for many years to come.
Absolutely other people are strung up on some media is quote of "5-year plans" that he is saying was never said. Panthers went from being on the brink of extinction to a powerhouse club. and during that time he absolutely cleaned up their mess of a salary cap.

hotdogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gus was spot on.spend now and panic buy with no real top echalon players available equals same shit mess.
spend in increments and then be able to have cracks at b.smith,Burton,pappenhausen etc as examples makes sense.
We build over a 2 to 3 yr period while also adding to our own cattles developement and then a have a top calibre side to challenge .
If you got money in the bank dont mean you gotta spend it
I hope they adopt this method.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tend to agree with gus on that one but it’s whether or not the fans can continue to watch the side struggle and wait another 3 or 4 years. We saw that strategy work for Newcastle over a long period but we aren’t the knights.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The first time gus has ever spoken common sense.
Nasheed here,
You'll find90% of the time Gould is on the money. And is very wise with an amazing footy brain not unlike myself. Sometimes he's been known to push agendas through the media but that's because he's An attack dog for his employer. He's gangsta. Would love him back at the dogs if he can work alongside a cooler head.

Gus is a credit to the game and his race.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Sometimes wonder if he's angling for a job. Yes I know he's a commentator and now a player agent

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
"Biggest club in Sydney, always has been always will be" Gus.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
@DinkumDog if you can recall, this is what i was referring too when i said we arent just a sydney club like tigers and sharks etc, we are big sydney club and we have not been acting like one. that is why i was fuming when lynne said she admired eels etc... cause we are better then that..... much better then that, i felt she lowered our club when she said it.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you have 15 minutes then this is interesting to listen too ..
Go to the 11.40 mark, and you don't have to do the whole 15 minutes.

Gus has a valid point. He says we've signed Cotric (have we??) without running it past a new coach, who might not think he is the right person to help us.

I also agree with him that we shouldn't just splash all our cap next year; then find we've locked in players who are not suitable, and have to start releasing good young talent because we don't have the room to keep them. That has been the Dogs' history for the past few years.

Can we hope that the board and coaching staff don't run out and blow the entire cap on whatever is available now, instead of holding onto the money and spending it wisely?

It might mean waiting another 12 months until the right player becomes available; but this board seems to act in panic, and not consider what is best for the club.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gus is right, that's the best way to rebuild. That's what a lot of us have been saying for years.

Sign the best youngsters coming through that are blocked for a run (like Burton) on reasonable deals and watch them become stars at our club as opposed to paying 800k-$1 million for an established player who might not be worth that much.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for stating the obvious Gus
Would you just rather he stuck the boot in like every other analyst and media organisation is? is his constructive criticism and advice not good enough for you?

Last edited: