Official Gus on Twitter

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m not saying he needs to. I am saying the doctor and an NRL representative need to be working together.
Nah. It would create the potential for a conflict of interest (or at least a perceived one). The doctors remain independent so that there can be no accusations of match fixing or preferential treatment, via HIAs. It's FAR better for the game for a truly independent authority to decide when a player has to come off. The moment they start working alongside an NRL representative, you start to muddy the waters. 2 things are true in this case.

1. An NRL official should have no control over forcing players off the field for HIAs.
2. An outside body should have no control over decisions made in the bunker.

The NRL should be taking full responsibility for their own shitty calls. A lot of these penalties that have been let go were well within the bunker's ability to identify and call out without any external advice.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah. It would create the potential for a conflict of interest (or at least a perceived one). The doctors remain independent so that there can be no accusations of match fixing or preferential treatment, via HIAs. It's FAR better for the game for a truly independent authority to decide when a player has to come off. The moment they start working alongside an NRL representative, you start to muddy the waters. 2 things are true in this case.

1. An NRL official should have no control over forcing players off the field for HIAs.

The NRL should be taking full responsibility for their own shitty calls. A lot of these penalties that have been let go were well within the bunker's ability to identify and call out without any external advice.
How is it a conflict of interest? The Doctor identifies the concussion, the NRL rep then identifies where the concussion came from and then refers to the ref to make a decision in real time for penalty or not. How is any of that a conflict of interest? Are you meaning if the doctor and NRL rep are related?

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How is it a conflict of interest? The Doctor identifies the concussion, the NRL rep then identifies where the concussion came from and then refers to the ref to make a decision in real time for penalty or not. How is any of that a conflict of interest? Are you meaning if the doctor and NRL rep are related?
It's a conflict of interest in that working with an NRL official means they are no longer independent. In an ideal world, it might work like you mentioned but you can't create an environment where pressures from the NRL might impact feedback from the independent doctor. That's not to say it would definitely happen but it creates the potential and the NRL's officiating is already a muddy mess. It's the doctor's job to decide whether a player needs to come off for a HIA. It's the bunker's job to identify foul player. They have all the tools required to do so. They're either bad at their jobs or selectively awarding penalties. It's a fix that doesn't require the input from a third party. If we can see it on the cameras on TV, the bunker can see it.
The other issue, as I noted, is that you can't have an outside body contributing to decisions made in the bunker. The doctors are not affiliated with the NRL and are not trained referees. The bottom line is that the bunker should be doing the job they're perfectly capable of doing but aren't.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a conflict of interest in that working with an NRL official means they are no longer independent. In an ideal world, it might work like you mentioned but you can't create an environment where pressures from the NRL might impact feedback from the independent doctor. That's not to say it would definitely happen but it creates the potential and the NRL's officiating is already a muddy mess. It's the doctor's job to decide whether a player needs to come off for a HIA. It's the bunker's job to identify foul player. They have all the tools required to do so. They're either bad at their jobs or selectively awarding penalties. It's a fix that doesn't require the input from a third party. If we can see it on the cameras on TV, the bunker can see it.
The other issue, as I noted, is that you can't have an outside body contributing to decisions made in the bunker. The doctors are not affiliated with the NRL and are not trained referees. The bottom line is that the bunker should be doing the job they're perfectly capable of doing but aren't.
It's pretty simple, the NRL Official Doctor reports sighting the suspected concussion at the time to the NRL Bunker Official. It seems pretty logical to me that the NRL Bunker Official would review the cause of said concussion. The NRL Official Doctor doesn't issue any orders, he simply informs the NRL Bunker Official about the suspect concussion, what actions the NRL Bunker Official takes after that is up to him and his protocols.

Always a Bulldog

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cmon guys. It was hardly a clear cut foul play. Mahoney went low and copped a hit. Not the first, won't be the last.

Sualli'i only got suspended for his style of play and it "looking" abit like his previous style which he was reprimanded or warned for.

Personally, I saw nothing in it. His previous indiscretions were bad, but not that one.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not a conflict of interest.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's pretty simple, the NRL Official Doctor reports sighting the suspected concussion at the time to the NRL Bunker Official. It seems pretty logical to me that the NRL Bunker Official would review the cause of said concussion. The NRL Official Doctor doesn't issue any orders, he simply informs the NRL Bunker Official about the suspect concussion, what actions the NRL Bunker Official takes after that is up to him and his protocols.

Always a Bulldog
I thought I made myself clear but thank you TwinTurbo for further clarifying my point. I still fail to see how a conflict of interest exists in this process.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Cmon guys. It was hardly a clear cut foul play. Mahoney went low and copped a hit. Not the first, won't be the last.

Sualli'i only got suspended for his style of play and it "looking" abit like his previous style which he was reprimanded or warned for.

Personally, I saw nothing in it. His previous indiscretions were bad, but not that one.
I called it live at the time, mostly because Suaali'i does it so frequently when returning the ball. There is always a good chance that he will do it.

The NRL MRC obviously had no trouble identifying it, why didn't the NRL Bunker Official at the time? It's not like he wasn't aware of Mahony's concussion and should have immediately gone looking for the cause.

Always a Bulldog

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
I'm still really not understanding why anyone thinks the independent doctor needs to be involved in that at all. These suggestions add complexity and interactivity to systems that should remain siloed. We're putting the chicken before the egg. Medical intervention is a potential consequence of the game, not a driving factor in officiating.

Either a) accidental contact results in a concussion or b) foul play results in a concussion.

In situation A, there is nothing for the bunker to do. In situation B, it is the bunker's job to penalise the foul play regardless of whether a concussion is suffered. No third party input should go in to the penalisation of players. The issue here is that the bunker are not doing their job. Resolving that problem does not require a third party (except maybe, you could argue, a post-game audit on bunker performance is required at this stage). It is a problem for the NRL to resolve directly. Do bunker officiates have the tools required to identify foul play? If not, fix it. If yes, are bunker officiates not trained to identify foul play correctly? If not, fix it. If yes, are they intentionally letting them go?

To put it another way, if you were shit at your job, would your boss bring in a third party to help you or would they just get you to perform better?

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

All players should feel confident that they can tackle low knowing they’re not going to cop a knee to the head .. especially with the crack down on high tackles and hip drop tackles, players must be asking themselves where they can tackle safely ? … this blokes been warned about lifting the knee to brace himself before contact a few times now .. I agree this one probably wasn’t as bad, maybe should have just been a penalty, but how many times can you warn a bloke ?

The confusing part for fans is the NRL has come out and said the bunker will make calls in the name of player safety .. they went back 5 tackles on one of ours and wrongfully binned him in the name of player safety ..

Hell, the whole HIA campaign is about player safety ..

Where was this player safety when Mahoney copped Tino’s elbow to the face, they obviously reviewed in to send him off for a HIA, if Tino didn’t hit him in the head, why the HIA, yet not even a penalty ??

Where was this player safety when he copped Suaalii’s knee to the head, again they obviously reviewed in to send him off for a HIA, if it’s a HIA he must have copped one to the head again, and 3 weeks suspension say’s it wasn’t accidental .. yet not even a penalty again ??

What’s doing with the bunker and player safety there … is it player safety for everyone except for Bulldog Players ??

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Do the suttons (ref) have a brother thats DR ???

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Luke Thompson is gone, doesn't matter if he returns for a game or doesn't. He was told he won't be extended.
Makes sense. 800k a year for about 1/4th a season on average and in those few games about 2 quality.

Disappointing as he honestly looked good in the trial. Was excited to see what he could do with Mahoney tpj kikau king rfm Sutton pele etc. without even thinking what Preston could be

How sad that we miss kikau all year with Thompson. Sutton injured and busted trying to carry an empty pack (let’s not forget tpj was gone when he was healthy).

Rfm is a shadow of his former self.

King has been meh lately.

Pele got injured just as he showed something consistent (if only for extremely small stints).

Tpj just starting to step up and show what we want.

Preston’s been our shining light.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Luke Thompson is gone, doesn't matter if he returns for a game or doesn't. He was told he won't be extended.
Irrelevant, he would be re-signed as his contract is up, not extended.

Always a Bulldog