Official Gus on Twitter

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s an interesting idea that the club has focused on the local community recently and the comments about it in here. Remember when they made us Sydney Bulldogs, or just Bulldogs to appeal to a wider audience? This is the opposite obviously.

Does it alienate fans from outside of the area? Some have suggested that in the comments in this thread. Tbh, I think if you’ve never been to Belmore it could make you feel disconnected from the club, but it doesn’t have to. I mean just being a fan, wearing a jersey or tshirt etc, makes you part of the Bulldogs family, but I do think if you’ve never experienced Belmore, then you’re missing a big part of our identity. Not saying you’re not a real fan or anything like that, just saying that you should experience it if you can.

For me, having never lived near Belmore, it doesn’t matter because I have been there so many times, I know it better than most parts of Sydney. I’m really glad I have that experience tbh, because I feel a connection to the area. Every game we played there from the 90s onwards, the whole family would drive over from Blacktown. It was an annoying drive, especially the last 10km, with the way the roads are around Burwood etc, but I remember it like it was yesterday. The roads getting like a maze, the closer we got to the stadium. The anticipation building because I knew it was only a few minutes away now. Trying to park was always a challenge, sometimes easy if you got into the car park at Peter Moore field. It was all worth it when you entered the sacred grounds.

I have so many good memories not just from attending games, but visiting the area in general. I found a football while working on a property adjacent to the ground. I have done jobs at Campsie P.S. When I got my first Playstation, it was used and had a mod to play pirate games. Guess where the shop that sold the games was? Campsie lol! It was the only one I knew of, hence I went there to buy games. I went there a lot for that actually. It was right near the station. I remember one time copping heat from a local gang because I denied their request for a smoke. Luckily a local shop keeper pissed them off. Maybe if I had of said we were doggies fans they’d have been sweet.

Another time, my dad was going to the area for work, so I asked him to take our jerseys to the leagues club and try to get Baa’s autograph. I was a naive teenager thinking Baa would just be hanging around lol. Anyway, dad rocked up and asked the lady at reception if we could get Baa’s autograph and she said to leave the jerseys and when he collected them, they had not just Baa’s but the whole teams’ autographs! I was ecstatic and still cherish it.

I keep thinking of great memories from time spent around Belmore, Campsie and CB. One of the best was driving down Burwood road after the 2004 grand final victory and celebrating with the masses around the league’s club.

So, while I get the view that the club focusing on Belmore may put some people off, all I can say is spend some time there if you can, and you’ll understand why it’s our spiritual home. You’ll get to see what Josh Addo-Carr and Cameron Ciraldo mean when they talk about how good it is. They haven’t been Bulldogs long, but already understand what makes it a special place.

What I love about the club, is that we have fans from all over the world. Even personally, I have a few friends who also follow the dogs. One became a fan with me, but the others just happened to be dogs fans also. Only one had any connection to the area. I don’t think you have to have been to Belmore to follow the dogs, but I do recommend it as it gives context to our identity.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s an interesting idea that the club has focused on the local community recently and the comments about it in here. Remember when they made us Sydney Bulldogs, or just Bulldogs to appeal to a wider audience? This is the opposite obviously.

Does it alienate fans from outside of the area? Some have suggested that in the comments in this thread. Tbh, I think if you’ve never been to Belmore it could make you feel disconnected from the club, but it doesn’t have to. I mean just being a fan, wearing a jersey or tshirt etc, makes you part of the Bulldogs family, but I do think if you’ve never experienced Belmore, then you’re missing a big part of our identity. Not saying you’re not a real fan or anything like that, just saying that you should experience it if you can.

For me, having never lived near Belmore, it doesn’t matter because I have been there so many times, I know it better than most parts of Sydney. I’m really glad I have that experience tbh, because I feel a connection to the area. Every game we played there from the 90s onwards, the whole family would drive over from Blacktown. It was an annoying drive, especially the last 10km, with the way the roads are around Burwood etc, but I remember it like it was yesterday. The roads getting like a maze, the closer we got to the stadium. The anticipation building because I knew it was only a few minutes away now. Trying to park was always a challenge, sometimes easy if you got into the car park at Peter Moore field. It was all worth it when you entered the sacred grounds.

I have so many good memories not just from attending games, but visiting the area in general. I found a football while working on a property adjacent to the ground. I have done jobs at Campsie P.S. When I got my first Playstation, it was used and had a mod to play pirate games. Guess where the shop that sold the games was? Campsie lol! It was the only one I knew of, hence I went there to buy games. I went there a lot for that actually. It was right near the station. I remember one time copping heat from a local gang because I denied their request for a smoke. Luckily a local shop keeper pissed them off. Maybe if I had of said we were doggies fans they’d have been sweet.

Another time, my dad was going to the area for work, so I asked him to take our jerseys to the leagues club and try to get Baa’s autograph. I was a naive teenager thinking Baa would just be hanging around lol. Anyway, dad rocked up and asked the lady at reception if we could get Baa’s autograph and she said to leave the jerseys and when he collected them, they had not just Baa’s but the whole teams’ autographs! I was ecstatic and still cherish it.

I keep thinking of great memories from time spent around Belmore, Campsie and CB. One of the best was driving down Burwood road after the 2004 grand final victory and celebrating with the masses around the league’s club.

So, while I get the view that the club focusing on Belmore may put some people off, all I can say is spend some time there if you can, and you’ll understand why it’s our spiritual home. You’ll get to see what Josh Addo-Carr and Cameron Ciraldo mean when they talk about how good it is. They haven’t been Bulldogs long, but already understand what makes it a special place.

What I love about the club, is that we have fans from all over the world. Even personally, I have a few friends who also follow the dogs. One became a fan with me, but the others just happened to be dogs fans also. Only one had any connection to the area. I don’t think you have to have been to Belmore to follow the dogs, but I do recommend it as it gives context to our identity.

Sorry for the long post.
You are right.
I’ve never fully understood why Aussies and people outside the area would go for A Lebanese and Belmore based team like the dogs.
16 other clubs to choose from and you chose us? Can’t we just have this one thing to our selves? Haha.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Canterbury Bankstown area has a population of over 350,000 people with an expectation it will grow by a bout 100,000 over the next 10 years. It is a huge chunk of Greater Sydney add to that surrounding areas like Liverpool, Hurstville etc and that is a huge supporter base, so why not lean into it. I don't think it means we will alienate our other fans. Always surprised how many supporters I run into in places like Canberra and Brisbane.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Canterbury Bankstown area has a population of over 350,000 people with an expectation it will grow by a bout 100,000 over the next 10 years. It is a huge chunk of Greater Sydney add to that surrounding areas like Liverpool, Hurstville etc and that is a huge supporter base, so why not lean into it. I don't think it means we will alienate our other fans. Always surprised how many supporters I run into in places like Canberra and Brisbane.
Yes but the growth is going ti be just Indians and Chinese like we do. None like league.

dogon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You are right.
I’ve never fully understood why Aussies and people outside the area would go for A Lebanese and Belmore based team like the dogs.
16 other clubs to choose from and you chose us? Can’t we just have this one thing to our selves? Haha.
All us old Aussie families have got out of the area as quick as we could but still love the Bulldogs with a passion.

Reactions: DDR

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have never lived in the Belmore area and never will. Not a city liver anymore. The recent Belmore centric marketing has had a positive effect on me if anything.
I have always supported the dogs from afar and attend an occasional game in Queensland. Would love to see a game in Sydney one day just to be surrounded by the bulldog's family. The fans make the club, l can't see why your geographic location would change the way you feel.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Drove through Belmore once when i took a wrong turn, not the most picturesque area of Sydney.... I rate it just above Burwood mainly because i couldnt read anything in Burwood it was all in Chinese

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
great golf course, hope Gus was losing plenty of skins to i don't know...Haas would be good

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
You are right.
Wake up to yourself the club is way bigger than Belmore and is not owned by Lebanese. Have a look at the Dogs support in any of the opposition grounds we visit. I was born in Canterbury Hospital and lived in Campsie for a few years before we moved to Brisbane, does that make me less of a supporter?

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wake up to yourself the club is way bigger than Belmore and is not owned by Lebanese. Have a look at the Dogs support in any of the opposition grounds we visit. I was born in Canterbury Hospital and lived in Campsie for a few years before we moved to Brisbane, does that make me less of a supporter?
What street in campsie dingo ?