Official Gus on Twitter

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
They could be playing him in that comp to get minutes in his legs, Gray might be infront of him at the moment and instead of having him on the bench he can get 80mins each week in Massey? That way both back up hookers are 80min players….. I dunno

dogon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They could be playing him in that comp to get minutes in his legs, Gray might be infront of him at the moment and instead of having him on the bench he can get 80mins each week in Massey? That way both back up hookers are 80min players….. I dunno
At only 80kg I think he is the lightest in the top30 & they are giving him time to bulk up for the heavy impact of NRL football.

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
At only 80kg I think he is the lightest in the top30 & they are giving him time to bulk up for the heavy impact of NRL football.
Yes watching him train during the off season I was surprised at his small size. He looked too risky to be anywhere near first grade level yet

Last edited:

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dogs have a history of not developing hookers properly. (Luke, Cook, & even our current "gun, Mahoney) - all let go/lost in favour of lesser options.
We're fortunate to have been able to get Mahoney back.
Let's hope this is another part of our recent culture that is set to change.
Clarke has immense talent and potential.
Hopefully, they've got him playing 80mins, working hard in the gym to get his body NRL-ready, & still shadowing Reed so he can develop a similar game style (& be able to fill in, if and as necessary).
He's about the same height as Reed. A couple of years younger & a couple of Kg's lighter.
He didn't seem to have too much trouble handling the physicality.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm sure Gus is going to tell people on twitter we signed a player..

I did lol at the salt level of Gus, poor bloke must be getting hammered with the same questions.
Well he doesn’t need to answer everything or even have a Twitter account. His choice. He has threatened a couple of times to leave Twitter but he’s still there.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like Thompson will not be re-signed
Gus seems to manage the cap by assigning "roles" & then ranges of (what he considers) fair market values for those roles (and it seems to work pretty well).

He tries to not pay overs (or unders for that matter) for players depending on what "role" he recruits them for. Sometimes you get lucky & a player breaks out past the role they were recruited for (in which case, he's usually onto an upgrade before the wolves come knocking).

Not that Gus recruited him, but Thompson has been occupying a Marquee prop role since he got here along with the matching salary.

I don't think there is any doubt that he will not be filling that "role" beyond this year.

Based on his talent (which he does have), his current injury & how/if he recovers, an assessment of how his past concussions are going, and a myriad of other factors, he might be invited to take on another role within the squad (likely, at a much lower contract value).

Whether that scenario suits Luke (& the club - there might be better options for that role), remains to be seen.

If you were playing the odds, I wouldn't expect to see Thompson in the 2024 squad, but I hope he recovers this year, gets some time on the field, & takes the opportunity to give himself a chance to still be here (if that's what he wants).