Official Gus on Twitter

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Or just don’t live in flood zones
It's a little more complex than that.

Where there was once a clear path for water to dissipate relatively quickly there is now urban sprawl. Think about the water level in a bath if you chucked a dozen bricks in it. No what kind of effect would concrete have on the run off water.

Add to that the federal highway network has an intense focus on lifting the roads so they can still operate during peak flood levels but this dam' s the water up in some places like Lismore.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Super League is Rugby League's version of the knackers yard, it's the place where broken down footballers go to die. Nothing says a footballer is washed up quite like getting sacked from Super League.

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's a little more complex than that.

Where there was once a clear path for water to dissipate relatively quickly there is now urban sprawl. Think about the water level in a bath if you chucked a dozen bricks in it. No what kind of effect would concrete have on the run off water.

Add to that the federal highway network has an intense focus on lifting the roads so they can still operate during peak flood levels but this dam' s the water up in some places like Lismore.
Lismore has been flooding since before cars and roads existed - it is low lying and right in a major river. Just like Grafton where I lived. Nothing to do with roads. It floods more recently due to the ridiculous amount of rain we have been getting (I’d say climate change but even if not just very unlucky to rain so much so often - big rain events 3 times a year v once every 10 years)

I’d agree Sw Sydney while a flood zone is suffering from urbanisation Causing more run off and floods

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Lismore has been flooding since before cars and roads existed - it is low lying and right in a major river. Just like Grafton where I lived. Nothing to do with roads. It floods more recently due to the ridiculous amount of rain we have been getting (I’d say climate change but even if not just very unlucky to rain so much so often - big rain events 3 times a year v once every 10 years)

I’d agree Sw Sydney while a flood zone is suffering from urbanisation Causing more run off and floods
The answer is pretty simple, build a farkin dam.

Always a Bulldog

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score

Lismore you can see on satellite how flood waters used to predominantly flow to the south now barely any water flows out that way and a smaller exit to the north is now where most of the water flows. The federal highway network is forever being built up creating a dam effect

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score

Thanks for that CCC. Good read - I have an interest in river systems and hydrology.

Cheers, RookieDog

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As someone who lives in the northern rivers and went through the floods the answers are far from simple. As if a dam would have helped. It's not just one river and if it was the La Nina was dumping rain for months. Any dam would have already been full. As far as don't live on a flood plain unfortunately the less wealthy have few options.
It is global warming creating these extreme conditions and they are going to get worse. The solution to that is less humans. Not an easy fix as I mentioned.