Official Gus on Twitter

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i can pretty much guarantee you the answer is going to be 'relax'
The telecrap reported today that he is unlikely to take up his player option for 2024. Farkin no shit sherlocks !!

He is on $450k so of course he is not going to accept that in 2024. The deal was signed more than 18 months ago. A fair bit has happened since then ffs.

My guess is that Gus will sit down with him at the end of season and nut something out. Burto's manager would have already unofficially tested the market by then to get a gauge of what he can get elsewhere. Its then up to Gus to get the deal done

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not too worried about Burton tbh. He’s had a good season, currently on unders to be fair. We have a lot of room in our cap for 2024. So money won’t be an issue. I think he’s waiting to see how Mahoney and Kikau go next year. He wants to win footy games. Don’t blame him for that. He’s become an origin player since joining us. Gus will get him what he deserves. Not too worried about him leaving.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The telecrap reported today that he is unlikely to take up his player option for 2024. Farkin no shit sherlocks !!

He is on $450k so of course he is not going to accept that in 2024. The deal was signed more than 18 months ago. A fair bit has happened since then ffs.

My guess is that Gus will sit down with him at the end of season and nut something out. Burto's manager would have already unofficially tested the market by then to get a gauge of what he can get elsewhere. Its then up to Gus to get the deal done
hopefully thats the plan

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

hence the 'relax'. Gus would know all this and be working it out no doubt!

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is Gus doing about resigning Matt Burton. I hope he upgrades his contract well before November. It’s so ridiculous he hasn’t got a coach yet
Nothing I hope... re-signing though or extending is another matter. I don't think the Dogs were ever that concerned about Burto's player option as it really was only ever a safety net for Burto if he didn't succeed and/or injuries stopped him showing his ability. Remember this was all put in place before last season when he had only played a handful of top grade games. For him to activate it it would be him admitting he is only worth what the dogs have valued him at 2 years ago. That has no bearing though on whether he signs an upgraded deal before November. If the team continues to do well and he has a good 2 games in SOO I see no reason for him to be looking elsewhere. In the most recent articles he is admitted to being very keen on the changes Kiks and Mahoney will make to the team.

Lets not discount the value a player would see in being integral to a rebuild that is successful. Yes first x No. of weeks he would be concerned but I think he is starting to enjoy himself and then add Kiks and Mahoney... But I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't agree to an extension till next year or only agrees with a 12 month extension to see who the new coach is and make informed decisions on his future. I would not see that as a failure only that it was a well considered decision. But I think he would have re-signed already if we were playing how we currently are and Barrett was the coach.

Lets not forget that Burto is one of the players that have acknowledged that the freedom that Harry has given the team has resulted in better performances. He has not said that Barrett was the problem, but he has also not said he wasn't. Jacko is still sticking up for Barrett.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Can’t see Burton leaving if we continue to improve. He has a title with Penrith. He has the chance to take a team from the spoon to a title in the next few years which will cement his place in history.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dolphins $ worries me . Bennett Will wanna snake some names .
I actually don’t think the dollars will be the deciding factor for him. Seems like a decent bloke who will stay with us as long as our offer is competitive and our side is competitive.

Let’s not forget he was in reserve grade early last year.